Page 1 of 2
Every now and then, someone asks which distortion pedal to buy if they play "teh br00tz". It seems to me that most metal-themed distortion pedals sound really harsh and piercing. Touring guitarists tend to use high gain amps with tubescreamers in front, rather than relying on heavy distortion from pedals.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are any decent sounding heavy metal distortion pedals?
I use a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal though my VOX Berkeley II. Rare-ish amp I know but it doesn't have a factory distortion channel because it wasn't made for rock. Anyway, I can get some really chunky (my main setting) sounds with a fixed high end, meaning of course it isn't all just bassey sounding. As far as thrashy, it can deliver but I don't have much experience with the settings. Probably just raise the highs a little bit more. Bought mine $65 used.
I started to feel really proud of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn't
- Kurt Cobain
I haven't played any of these but I have been recommended the Okko Dominator, Wampler Tripple Wreck, Railhead Effects T.U.A, Barber Dirty Bomb, Goosoniqueworkx Seventhheaven, Toneczar Openhaus, Emma Pisdiyauwot, Goosoniqueworkx Seventhheaven and the Wheebo Morbid Drive and I generally like all of them from what I have heard (generally recorded in crappy youtube quality and heard through crappy netbook speakers). I think the cheapest there is the Barber Dirty Bomb and I have heard some very nice samples of it.
Last edited by ragingben at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by sashki
Every now and then, someone asks which distortion pedal to buy if they play "teh br00tz". It seems to me that most metal-themed distortion pedals sound really harsh and piercing. Touring guitarists tend to use high gain amps with tubescreamers in front, rather than relying on heavy distortion from pedals.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are any decent sounding heavy metal distortion pedals?

Yeah but they're expensive and only the guys in the pedalboard thread have heard of them
Quote by coolstoryangus
Yeah but they're expensive and only the guys in the pedalboard thread have heard of them

I own the triple wreck and TUA and I never have posted in the pedalboard thread.

Then again, I would never join any club that would have ME as a member.
Quote by Grawgos
I own the triple wreck and TUA and I never have posted in the pedalboard thread.

Then again, I would never join any club that would have ME as a member.

It was more of a tongue in cheek comment tbh :P
I have the Metal Muff, and I think it is a pretty decent pedal to be honest. It gets an ok distrotion through my rig, and while I have gone back to mainly using my amps distortion with a Bad Monkey OD it still has it's place , just when I fancy a different flavour. It sounds hideous through my solid state though...
I have a metal muff and it's abit so/so with mine. I use it more of a boost with an EQ.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Quote by ragingben
I don't want to hijack the thread, but just a quick question Grawgos - how do you find the T.U.A? I have been tempted for a long time.

It's an ok pedal. It doesn't have massive low end like the triple wreck. The treble gets out of hand when cranked too much. The gain I rarely put it more than 12 o'clock. I mainly use the TW, but I would take the TUA over any boss or digitech or mxr pedal. I wouldn't put it at the level of the TW or dominator, but then again it's a lot less money than either of those.

Angus, I knew you were joking i was too.
Quote by Grawgos
It's an ok pedal. It doesn't have massive low end like the triple wreck. The treble gets out of hand when cranked too much. The gain I rarely put it more than 12 o'clock. I mainly use the TW, but I would take the TUA over any boss or digitech or mxr pedal. I wouldn't put it at the level of the TW or dominator, but then again it's a lot less money than either of those.

I've heard similar, not as versatlie kind of thing. The thing is I want a distortion that is completly different from my amps distortion, which has quite a bit of low end. I plan on mainly using my amps distortion, and just breaking out the T.U.A for some shredding in the bedroom, the band I'm in really doesn't play anthing metal sounding, so it was just for a bit of fun really. With that in mind would you recommend it?
Quote by ragingben
I've heard similar, not as versatlie kind of thing. The thing is I want a distortion that is completly different from my amps distortion, which has quite a bit of low end. I plan on mainly using my amps distortion, and just breaking out the T.U.A for some shredding in the bedroom, the band I'm in really doesn't play anthing metal sounding, so it was just for a bit of fun really. With that in mind would you recommend it?

Consider a Catalinbread Silverkiss or a Wampler SLOstortion
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
None I've tried. Not to say they don't exist (ragingben's list would be worth a try... probably add a tonefreak severe and suhr riot to that), but even the supposedly less full-on ones tend to sound a bit metallic to my ears when run through a clean amp.

but yeah 9 times out of 10 i get better results from stacking a couple of lower gain pedals. which often is cheaper too- you can get a tubescreamer clone (or close enough) for like £25, and one of the more mainstream not too heavy distortions for not much more.

Not to mention, a lot of those boutique circuits are only lightly-modded mainstream circuits, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by ragingben

Like I said, I would take it over the boss, digitech or mxr if you aren't willing to spend more. I have no experience with the Wampler slostortion and have no idea how much it is. I do know that i love my Wampler and have never heard anyone speak ill of the brand. I have a metalcore pedal and the TUA slays it.

I also tend to believe that kitty knows his shit, so you might want to check it out.

Edited: stupidity removed.
Last edited by Grawgos at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by Grawgos
I also tend to believe that kitty knows her shit, so you might want to check it out.

I'm left speechless.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

I'm left speechless.

well that's your "business" down the toilet...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
well that's your "business" down the toilet...

Its not like I didn't specify my gender in my profile. Plus I don't think I talk... or type like a girl.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I guess he saw your dp XD

dp?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Opinion below, don't flame me for it people:

Personally I think pedals don't sound as good as when distortion comes from your amp. Pedals just sound kind of watery, like they're on top of the regular sound. But if you want a pedal, go ahead and get one. I'd check out the whole Muff thing.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Opinion below, don't flame me for it people:

Personally I think pedals don't sound as good as when distortion comes from your amp. Pedals just sound kind of watery, like they're on top of the regular sound. But if you want a pedal, go ahead and get one. I'd check out the whole Muff thing.

man the flame throwers and don't skimp on the napalm

amp distortion does sound better if available from your amp. that being said pedals often offer better control over the distortion especially in lower volume situations. when paired with a tube amp many distortion pedals do sound pretty good as long as the eq on pedal and amp is set correctly. in some situations my Metal Muff (yes tom i know it sucks and sounds "similar" to a MZ) does give me a better distortion sound than my amp by itself can deliver.
how about the blackstar pedals?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Ha ha, sorry about that kitty. I didn't look at your profile until a minute ago. I meant no offense and I can't tell just by the way someone posts if they male or female.

I still respect your opinion though.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Display pic. Your avataar.

you know that dp stands for something else right?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
you know that dp stands for something else right?

He wouldn't know nuffin' bout that
Where's Waldo?
On a budget, the Boss HM-2 and the Hardwire TL-2 are really good sounding distortion pedals.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ragingkitty

Its not like I didn't specify my gender in my profile. Plus I don't think I talk... or type like a girl.

nah i don't think so
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
FWIW, I always think of RagingKitty as female, even though I know he's not. It's the name and avatar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
TS9 or TS808 or similar. Only pedal you'll ever need for metal distortion, the rest comes from your amp.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
A lot of the time on forums you do kinda imagine people as there avatars. I bet alot of uk people currently read my posts in duncan bannatynes voice..
aye
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2