Your views on bob dylan's music writing ability & lyrical ability

Music / Instrumentation?
In my opinion the Music behind his songs were terrific. His chord progressions created a platform for all the instruments to combine and create the perfect songs. In particular, the album Blonde on Blonde and Bringing it all back home demonstrates this perfectly.

Lyrics?
Poetry at its best. Creates perfect imagery that use strong, beautiful words and descriptions.

Ur turn
I think that's all for him love his music but the guy's a prick. Friend and I were at a concert taking pictures w his Nikon DL something ($3,500.00 camera) anyways, Bob's staff pull's us backstage and tell's us that "Bob doesn't allow high-quality photography at his shows" they then rip the camera out of my friends hands, take the memory card out ($500.00) and snaps it in half right infront of us and threw us out the stage side door. No matter who you are you don't tell your staff to do that kind of sh*t. Since then I am glad to say that I no longer listen to BD's sh**ty ass raspy voice After that we left plus the show sucked! In the very beginning after two songs he says, " I think I've earned the right to sit down and play this concert". HAHAHA what a joke, waste of concert money.
Oh yeah and not to mention picture's that were on my friends camera were for work and he lost a lot of his clients pictures so had to reschedule photo shoots.
Last edited by PRS417 at Aug 3, 2011,
Quote by turncoat60%
venue staff breaks camera, therefore bob dylan is a prick.

If you read I said BD's staff, not venue. Thanks for the argument though, short and sweet.

The whole thing is about his staff just being able to do that and think it's ok. My friend worked hard for that camera and memory card. Obvisouly BD didn't tell them to bring them backstage and delete all the pictures, which IS how it should've been handled. I don't think you would be very happy if this happened to you so pls don't respond with more sarcastic bs.
Last edited by PRS417 at Aug 3, 2011,
This one dude assaulted my friend unprovoked and had to pay a fine. The entire legal system is made up of douches. How dare they enforce rules, the pricks.
Why would you go see a 97 year old Bob Dylan anyway?

<3 Bob Dylan
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Bob is nothing nowadays, however I loved songs like Tangled Up In Blue, which tells a story over some amazing chord sequences.
Ok turncoat then answer this, tickets of the BD concert said Photography allowed, no video. Everyone else around us is taking pictures but since he had a small lens on it he can't take pictures? Make sense right? Therefore he/ his staff are pricks.
i feel ya dawg, dylan is a camera-breaking prick that writes amazing chord sequences.
Last edited by turncoat60% at Aug 8, 2011,
I tried to contact him on Facebook because my chord sequences are too complacent, but the asshole never got back to me. What a douche.
I like Tangled up in Blue, Hurricane, Jokerman, Lay Lady Lay.......actualluy I like most of his songs

2006 Fender Jeff Beck Signature Stratocaster Surf Green
...plus about 20 other guitars
lol this thread is great.
I think Bob Dylan COULD be described by many people as a prick, though I've never felt the wrath of him or his employees myself. It's alright though, just consider this one instance in history: Joan Baez, already a popular performer, starts using "Blowin in the Wind" and brings Bob Dylan around with her at her concerts. The crowd loves it, and she's getting more concerts than ever. Bob Dylan, who only played coffee houses up to this point, is playing bigger concerts than ever.
Then, once Dylan's record gets on the charts in the UK and Joan's isn't doing so well over there, he doesn't return the favor. He Brings Joan ALONG, but not to perform with him. She just ends up sitting in the hotel room practicing her soprano trill. Good times....

But yeah, his music is awesome. He sits atop the mountain of popular music with no equal, with his crappy voice and guitar playing. How the hell did he do that!?!? I don't think his voice really is crappy, but he fought through all these obstacles in the beginning, pushed through people telling him he couldn't sing, and now the joke is on everyone else.
Everyone wanted to be respected by Dylan eventually. All the greatest songwriters badly wanted the chance to be second best.
It says a lot.

I like the White Stripes version of Isis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq2Z5p_piv8
Last edited by Four-Sticks at Aug 19, 2011,
Oh and Bob Dylan's current live band is AWESOME. His singing is so gnarly these days It's understandable why people would think that there's no point in going to his concerts these days, but he has whole new arrangements of some of his most popular songs. He has total reworkings, and it's so exciting to see. You NEVER know how he's going to perform a song these days it's great.
You really wont be disappointed if you go, unless you're expecting him to be like he was in 1964, then screw you if that's the case.
The material he plays is stuff that you wont hear anywhere else. It's unpredictable how he's going to re-work his arrangements, and no one else in the world can possibly think to put together the songs he does. His genius is still in full swing, and it's worth the price of admission to witness.
I saw him twice in the past decade, and I thought I didn't need to go to his concert this summer because how could it be any better than those two last concerts I went to?
Well, let me tell you, I missed out out, and I'm bummed I didn't see it. I'm trying to find a Soundboard recording of the concerts. In the review the writer said that he's never heard these arrangements before. I was like "damn!" I knew I was going to regret not going.
Last edited by Four-Sticks at Aug 19, 2011,
Dylan's first two albums have some wild pickin' and I like the loose garage blues band feel of his backing band with the electric stuff in the mid 60's. I think that people may go overboard when talking about his genius but he is definitely a true talent and fun to listen to, his nonsense rhymes crack me up.

I think he probably got his freestylin' lyrical ways from singing on the go over Woody tunes. Heard a Woody song not to long ago about fishing and it WAS New York Town with different words.
^Weell the thing about genius is, there's so many people who are so caught up in little things that people like Dylan totally skipped over. Is he a genius, or was he just better than everyone who happened to exist and work in the music scene during the time that he got famous? Does it really matter what you call it? He was what he was.
And yeah, a lot of his stuff is totally based on Woody Guthrie, but he never said it wasn't. Does that make him less original? I don't think so, but if you want to split hairs, then I suppose it does.
BOB DYLAN steals most of his songwriting ideas from his contemporaries and simply turns them round to provide a new slant. They made perfect records, so they have to play them perfectly ... exactly the way people remember them. My records were never perfect. So there is no point in trying to duplicate them. Anyway, I'm no mainstream artist.
|
Quote by due 07
Don't hate -- Bob D. has some of the most progressive chord sequences ever.
For better or worse, Bob Dylan came very close to inventing "Rap" with his song, "Subterranean Homesick Blues". Give that a listen.

Quote by Four-Sticks
Joan Baez, already a popular performer, starts using "Blowin in the Wind" and brings Bob Dylan around with her at her concerts. The crowd loves it, and she's getting more concerts than ever. Bob Dylan, who only played coffee houses up to this point, is playing bigger concerts than ever.

Then, once Dylan's record gets on the charts in the UK and Joan's isn't doing so well over there, he doesn't return the favor. He Brings Joan ALONG, but not to perform with him. She just ends up sitting in the hotel room practicing her soprano trill. Good times....

Whether it's speculation or urban legend, many people that Joan Baez' best know hit, "Diamonds and Rust", is aimed at Dylan, and it's not an upbeat theme. Bitter sounding, some might say.

However, many bands took Dylan songs further up the chart than did Dylan. Notably the Byrds, but many people don't even realize that Manfred Mann's big hit, "Quinn the Eskimo", was penned by Dylan.

Quote by psychbunnies
(Dylan) Lyrics?
Poetry at its best. Creates perfect imagery that use strong, beautiful words and descriptions.
Dylan was featured in a movie by Scorcese: fficial&channel=s&hl=en&biw=1428&bih=841&q=Bob+Dylan+movie&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17415755471167796352&sa=X&ei=LD-ATozTCcrs0gHDhpzvDw&ved=0CF4Q8wIwBQ">fficial&channel=s&hl=en&biw=1428&bih=841&q=Bob+Dylan+movie&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17415755471167796352&sa=X&ei=LD-ATozTCcrs0gHDhpzvDw&ved=0CF4Q8wIwBQ">http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=s&hl=en&biw=1428&bih=841&q=Bob+Dylan+movie&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17415755471167796352&sa=X&ei=LD-ATozTCcrs0gHDhpzvDw&ved=0CF4Q8wIwBQ At one point he summarily begins rhyming words with a sign in the street. A Very strange clip indeed, it gives the impression that Dylan has tendencies with words, bordering on savant.

If you'd like to listen to one of the best Dylan songs of all time, and the best cover of it, dig up Bruce Springsteen's live version of , "Chimes of Freedom". Spectacular! And imagery like nothing else I've ever heard!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 26, 2011,
British songtress Barb Jungr has a critically acclaimed all-Dylan cover show "Man in the Long Black Coat" playing Off-Broadway in New York, listen right below. The track was taken from her recent album "Man in the Long Black Coat," which was released last year on Linn Records.

She's been called one of Britain's foremost Dylan interpreters.
http://barbjungrplaysnewyork.com/
Some of his stuff is amazing. Personally I think his songwriting peak was on Desire, though his best backing band was on Blonde on Blonde.
Quote by Captaincranky
For better or worse, Bob Dylan came very close to inventing "Rap" with his song, "Subterranean Homesick Blues". Give that a listen.

Ya I've heard it.

He didn't really, lots of people say that but Bob Dylan recording that song didn't have anything to do w/ rap. Like people only say he "invented" a genre retroactively; at the time I don't think anyone was like, "Whoa what's this new genre Bob just invented?"
Quote by howlinwolf

I think he probably got his freestylin' lyrical ways from singing on the go over Woody tunes. Heard a Woody song not to long ago about fishing and it WAS New York Town with different words.

have you ever listened to anything else that someone might call folk music? because that's kind of how it works.

you can definitely hear the Carter Family in Woody.
and then he'd use the same music for other songs too.
I have never really been a Bob Dylan fan. But I haven't really listened to much of his stuff so I'm not really one to judge.