I am thinking about buying Guitar Pro 6. I’m approaching it from a different angle, probably, than most of you. I don’t want to learn guitar (at least not anytime soon). Rather, as a singer, I want to be able to create my own high-quality backing tracks. I already own some pretty-to-very good sounding guitar VSTis and VST ampsims (at least they sound good when fed pro-quality MIDI tracks).

So what I’m really looking for is something that can do a good job importing tab and exporting it as MIDI, so I can tweak it if need be and then run it through my plugins within my own DAW.

Something which could do that well would unlock the huge pool of songs out there which have been tabbed and are freely downloadable. This alone would easily justify the price of Guitar Pro 6.

I’m frankly a little skeptical, for these reasons (please correct me if I’m wrong):

-- most tab is in ASCII files, which means its not a uniform format; people use their own symbols, add text here and there etc – it’s not like MIDI, which is precise. How could any software cope with this?

-- how could software even know what time signature something is in?

So, I’d like to ask people who’ve actually used Guitar Pro 6, how good is at this?

(By the way, please don’t say something like “Why don’t you learn to play guitar?” That’s not a discussion I want to have, thanks.)
Guitar Pro 5 is way better than v6 IMO, because they've focused so much on their RSE system in v6, that alot of basic functionality has either become useless, difficult to use or simply unable to do what you want them to do (ie; no more complex bends, only simple).

Midi import does not allow for different tunings, so if you import something in a tuning other than E standard, you're either gonna miss out on the lower notes, or have the song start on a fret higher than E-0-.

That being said, the RSE on v6 IS quite good, especially if you got all the soundbanks for it.
However, I doubt it will do what you want it to do, at least without a lot of input from oneself.
The basic notes will be imported, but all in standard 4/4 time, bends, slides, hammer-ons, pull-ofs etc will ALL be ignored.

Individual note-length seems to somewhat like '-' is equal to 1/8 of a measure, unless there are more notes in a measure than 8. If there is, it is something like; how long is the measure (in "-"'s), how many notes are there, how are they spaced, calculate each '-' to be a fracture for this (ie; shortest distance between two notes is 1/8 unless there are more, in which it is 1/16 and so on).

This results in almost every measure being off beat and out of time, unless the entire track is 4/4 and there are only 8ths in each measure and no rests.

Multitrack tabs do NOT work, each track is considered a new measure on the same track, so the playback will simply alternate between the two (or more tracks) in one track.

In short, for your use, probably not so good.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Last edited by SinnaSatan at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by SinnaSatan
Guitar Pro 5 is way better than v6 IMO, because they've focused so much on their RSE system in v6, that alot of basic functionality has either become useless, difficult to use or simply unable to do what you want them to do (ie; no more complex bends, only simple).

Huh?

I think not...

The Bend window in GP6 lets you do bends as complex as you want them to be.

Check out the Users manual, pages 18 and 19.

Quote by lingyai

So, I’d like to ask people who’ve actually used Guitar Pro 6, how good is at this?

It's very good, but you have to take the time to learn how to use it.

The arguments above are for the most part invalid, since they are either incorrect or MIDI limitations, not GP6 limitations.

Your concern about importing ASCII is correct, as although GP6 does a reasonable job, neither it nor any other software I've seen will do it perfectly. It does give you a starting point though.

But...there are literally tens (hundreds) of thousands of GP/PowerTab/TuxGuitar tabs on this and other sites, so it's not as big of a problem as you might imagine.
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 29, 2011,
Well, then I've missed something (regarding the bends). Didn't mean to post untrue facts.
I find it more troublesome to bend the ways I want, to do tremelo-picking while bending and so on, but I guess I have to RTFM
Also, which arguments are invalid? I've been using both GP5 and 6 for a time now, I find GP5 easier to use, and the part about importing is not a midi limitation, it is, according to the GP website, the feature that has been reporgrammed this way.
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by SinnaSatan
Well, then I've missed something (regarding the bends). Didn't mean to post untrue facts.
I find it more troublesome to bend the ways I want, to do tremelo-picking while bending and so on, but I guess I have to RTFM
Also, which arguments are invalid? I've been using both GP5 and 6 for a time now, I find GP5 easier to use, and the part about importing is not a midi limitation, it is, according to the GP website, the feature that has been reporgrammed this way.

Midi data doesn't include tuning, just notes, so there's no way to import the tuning, doesn't matter what software you have.

I have no doubt you are trying to provide honest answers, and apologies if it appeared I was claiming otherwise.

Many people find GP5 easier to use for a lot of things, me included, but the truth is that GP6 will do more and sound better than GP5 if you take the time to get to know it.

And unfortunately the manual is pretty minimalist, which is a disappointment.
Little late posting here but anyway..
Quote by Arby911
Midi data doesn't include tuning, just notes

This I already know, but GP5 would let you add tracks first, and then set your tuning and import a single track from the midi file to your song.
This feature is what has been altered in GP6, because it only lets you import the whole file, and you have no control over the individual tracks like you did in GP5. Which sort of sucks (for me atleast), because I just to use Cakewalk alot, and have a lot of old midifiles I'd like to open properly. Also, it tend to mess up some GP5 files in playback, it doesn't sound quite right.
But lets agree that GP5 = easier than GP6 = more powerful than GP5
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH