I was wondering if there was a (free) program online for taking the instrumentals off of any song, but leaving the vocals? I play guitar and want to play along. Thank you for the help!
I havn't used any for a long time now, but the ones i did use left the songs in pretty bad shape sound wise and ended up being fairly unusable. I'm sure there some better ones now though but i usually just use ones from www.guitarbackingtrack.com
Other than using the original masters, I believe the closest thing you can get is by equalizing the other stuff away, I don't know of any program which can simply remove stuff automatically, sorry.

Edit: From the website recommended above:
Q: What kind of software do you use to remove the guitar?
A: There is no easy way of making backing tracks, no magic software that removes the guitar. The tracks are made in many ways, ranging from beefed-up MIDI files to manual recording of every instrument. The quality will of course vary, but hey, it's all free!
Last edited by intothe at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by 15characters
I was wondering if there was a (free) program online for taking the instrumentals off of any song, but leaving the vocals? I play guitar and want to play along. Thank you for the help!

Because vocal and instrumental frequencies are so closely intertwined, it's near-impossible to remove one without grossly disfiguring the other on a mixed track.

I've seen a lot of very good audio software, but I've never seen one that could do this with any significant degree of success.
Quote by 15characters

Well, I cheated, I got someone else to do it for me. I did a similar thing where I was setting a poem to music, and the poem recitation I wanted to have by itself without all the background effects.

Initial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bca5vSNyg0s
Removed Effects: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10138888/T%20S%20Eliot%20fixed.mp3
Final Product (with my setting of music): http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/nmitchell076/music/all/play931013

As you can see, the result is by no means perfect, even when (as in this example), the effects to be removed are not that intricate. But I made it workable at least.

As I said, I didn't do it myself, someone else did it and PMd me the results. I won't reveal the name as this guy did it without me asking him (I posted a help thread and he did it on his own and PMd me), and I wouldn't want to hit him up with spam. But I will quote what he said about the process he used:

I don't think there's really any easy way to do it (and I couldn't remove everything without degrading the spoken tone), and definitely not in Audacity. I used iZotope RX, which to be honest I downloaded off the internet (but never used). I was gonna just delete it since I don't need it (and I'm using only free/bought programs now anyway), but maybe you can get some use out of it

(that kind of thing is very hard to do since the frequencies of the lyrics and the choir etc. overlap somewhat, but RX seems to have some pretty damn good algorithms. I doubt it would be possible to do in any other program, barring some similar programs made for just this sort of thing)

So try the program he mentioned (iZotope RX) and see if that helps.

EDIT: btw, if the guy who did that for me is reading this, I can't ever thank you enough for doing that. I was beginning to go back to the initial drawing board and come up with a completely new idea for a piece when you sent me the message. If you hadn't done that, I would have never even written the piece at all, or anything like it, probably. So again, thank you sooooooo much!
Last edited by nmitchell076 at Jul 29, 2011,
All you have to do is phase invert the instrument frequencies to cancel each other out. It sounds alot easier than it actually is