Morning all, I recently purchased a '78 Peavey T-40, mostly because I have a thing for peavey and got a pretty great deal, but now I'm having a bit of buyers remorse, bass is nice and all but it just doesnt have the sound I want. I'm looking for something more of like a P-bass, but anyways, I'd like to sell or trade the bass, craigslist isn't preferred, my dad hates me dealing on craigslist, thinks I'll get raped or something guess with good reason since my bro got jumped during a deal once, but whatever. I'd like to maybe trade with a local music shop, but haven't ever tried before. I've got two local shops, then a guitar center I could try. The bass has an average ebay price of about $325, mines in pretty much perfect shape except the 3 way pickup selector doesn't work in the middle position, and I have the original hardshell case. I wanting to get tips on bartering, trading, etc. and if you guys think I have any chance of trading for maybe a MIM P-bass, or even a Classic Vibe maybe
It's highly doubtful you'll get a good price in store. Remember, they need to make a profit: If they give you the $325 it's selling for regularly as discount, they're not going to make a profit in the long run. You'll probably only get around $200 from a store, I'd imagine. Unless your store is super nice.

I'd recommend selling it privately, unless you really want to get rid of it quick. In which case, you'll probably need some cash to make up the rest of the deal.
But can you not typically get more "value" for trading instruments instead of getting straight up cash? Like at a car dealership, you get more "trade-in credit" for a car, if you're also getting a new one than if you just tell them to give you cash.
I'd fix the switch first so you don't have to say it's broken. Also craigslist is safe, just use the buddy system if you can, I've never met a shady character yet though. You might try selling and buying from a pawn shop. They might not trade but they might buy the bass for the price or near the price of the one you are interested in, ESP. Since it's a vintage bass. But consider selling even on eBay $375 is better than the $175 trade in.
Quote by askrere
I'd fix the switch first so you don't have to say it's broken. Also craigslist is safe, just use the buddy system if you can, I've never met a shady character yet though. You might try selling and buying from a pawn shop. They might not trade but they might buy the bass for the price or near the price of the one you are interested in, ESP. Since it's a vintage bass. But consider selling even on eBay $375 is better than the $175 trade in.

Sadly no electronics experience, I heard that just replacing the switch would fix it, but I'm scared to open it up. Is ebay worth the hassle? I've used it for little things but shipping a bass sounds kinda like a hassle
It's always time to learn, peavey is like the nicest company out there, they'll practically hold your hand if you email them with questions. And as a musician you kind of owe it to yourself to open it up and at least peak inside.

As for Ebay, I haven't used it, but millions do and you said yourself the average price its going for is $375 and you already have all the accounts and stuff. Just got to guitar center and ask for a box, then Ship. Trust me it might seem a hassle but if you fix a switch and Ebay/Craigslist, you will make a lot more than if you just try and trade in value it. It's like game stop, buy the latest game $59.99 trade it in $20, any amount of age or damage, $10-$1 you're not going to win.
On trade/selling to a store. One of the things people tend to forget is that along with having to make a profit, stores also have to pay for things like rent, insurance and employee salaries. So yes, you aren't gong to get "full dollar" when you deal with a store, even on a trade in. But you will get immediate cash or something towards gear you want.

Just a word on Craiglist. Be prepared for a massive amount of "tire kickers" when you list items up there. I've sold gear and had to deal with dozens of looksees before a serious buyer actually bit on the item. It takes months of patience and if you need cash now, its not the way to go.
Quote by anarkee
On trade/selling to a store. One of the things people tend to forget is that along with having to make a profit, stores also have to pay for things like rent, insurance and employee salaries. So yes, you aren't gong to get "full dollar" when you deal with a store, even on a trade in. But you will get immediate cash or something towards gear you want.

Just a word on Craiglist. Be prepared for a massive amount of "tire kickers" when you list items up there. I've sold gear and had to deal with dozens of looksees before a serious buyer actually bit on the item. It takes months of patience and if you need cash now, its not the way to go.

Thanks I realize they have to make a profit, i thought I just remembered reading stories on here of people trading pretty successfully with shops, maybe it was just in my head........ Oh well, either way, I think I'm going to go with Ebay or Craigslist, I don't really need the cash now, at this point I think I'll just hold onto the T-40 for a few months, see if I can fix it up in my spare time, sell it, and buy myself a MIA Precision as a graduation present next spring