Hey guys. I'm looking to invest in a cheap combo amp mainly for the clean tones that I can use with my jazz quartet. I don't need anything insanely loud as we just do coffeehouse gigs and occasional parties and get-togethers. It also doesn't need to be high quality. I'll list a couple I was looking at below. Im thinking solid state (preferably 2 speakers but will settle for 1). Price range is around $200. As for wattage, do you think 20-25 will be loud enough?

Thanks!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-KG210FX-20W-2x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-Digital-Effects-423628-i1517542.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-25R-Frontman-Series-II-25W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105808190-i1479747.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-KG112FX-20W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-Digital-Effects-423629-i1517543.gc
I'm in the same position and I think I"m going to get a Vox AD15VT. I have the fender 25R and it turned out to be a POS. Reverb went out after like a year. The Vox has 1 preamp tube so it sounds a bit better than an average transistor amp. Good luck. BTW I'm a jazz guitarist too.
To be honest, I'd save up some more money so you can invest in a good quality amp. You're also going to do much better on a used market. Check out Craigslist and Kijiji in your area, and be patient.

Take a look at a Roland Jazz Chorus, if you get a chance. They're probably a bit out of your current price range but they're great amps and are well suited for jazz. I don't know much about the Kustom amps you posted, but I'd stay away from the Fender FM amps. Just because it says Fender doesn't mean it's good. It's only $200 for a reason!
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
I'd go for the Roland Cube 40XL with that budget. But really, I'd save up a few extra dollars and look for a used JC-120. Well, any Jazz Chorus really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 29, 2011,
look for a used Roland JC 50. It has every thing the 120 has but in a smaller, more portable package. I've also gigged with a Vox AC4-TV in a similar setting and it worked really well.
Sig What?
+1 for a JC

i've played that kustom and it was bad.. and FM's just as bad..

definitely look at the used market!
Used Roland JC or Polytone.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
At that price range, a Roland Cube will work until you can find a Polytone, which is really what you want for your situation. There's not a huge market for used polytones so if you can find one you can often get a Mini-Brute for $400, which is a lot less than they go for new. I've seen older Mini-Brute Is and IIs going for as low as $200, so you might get lucky and snag one at that price.

I would definitely not get a Jazz Chorus. They're big and heavy, which is the opposite of what it sounds like you want. If you start playing bigger venues, maybe you might need the spread of the 2x12, but 90% of the time a Polytone is where it's at for jazz. They're smaller, cheaper, sound better, are of higher quality, and have a decent light OD channel if you want to do some fusion stuff. JCs are for studios and people who don't know about polytone.
I found a few used jc-120's in my area for about $430. But like roc said I don't think I would ever use 120 watts. Someone mentioned a 50 watt jazz chorus but I didn't see any...

I'll look into the polytones. I've heard good things about them except that they're near impossible to find
It is solid state too, I would go with the 120 if possible, especially if you plan on playing with horns.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Doesn't really matter if you never turn up a JC-120. They sound fine at low volume and with jazz you can never have too much headroom.
There are quite a few varieties of Jazz Chorus, all of them are good and will make you happy. The JC-120 is the weapon of choice for most people because it doesn't matter what situation you put it in it will always do the job. Little one man gigs or gigs with King Kong on drums; doesn't matter, it will always deliver that dead clean JC tone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Can anyone identify this solid state fender? Found it at a reasonable price of $225 while looking for some jc's.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/2509287743.html
Yeah, it's a Stage 160 lols. A friend of mine has one, the cleans are nice, might not compare to the JC though (I haven't played the Roland).
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jul 29, 2011,
They aint no JC-120 but are streets ahead of a Frontman. The distortion on them is atrocious but you won't be using that. If you can't find a JC in your pricerange before you need it then it would do the job fine. The ad says it's comparable to a Fender Twin - haha, it is to laugh.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Or maybe a Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue? I've tried one and is one of the most warm sounding SS amps I have ever played.
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150
Gibson Les Paul Signature T VS

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Boss DD-3, NS-1, CS3, CH1, TU-3
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator