I'm using a Schecter guitar with a 24.75 scale neck and i currently have 10gauge's on and was wondering if i would encounter any problems with the the neck or tuning if I tune down to D? I know most of you will say use thicker strings but i have yet to find a shop here that sells anything thicker than 10gauge strings and i searched many shops. The action of the guitar is not that low, it's more like low-medium which is not as low as you would find with an Ibanez, just mentioning that because higher action=higher tension
It will work if you like how they feel that loose. preferably, I'd use something a bit tighter on the low end, but that's just me, and i play on 10-52's in Drop D on a 25.5" scale. all preference. hell, you could be playin with 8's in D Standard if that's what you enjoy.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Yeah, it works.
Personally, I play 10 gauge in E Standard.
Most ppl I know use 9's for standard, which means I like 11's for D standard and Drop C

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Yes, but 11s will work better. I tune in D and use Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky.
10-52's in d standard is what i consider supreme comfortability. it's like not too loose but not tight at all, and it's great, in my opinion. it even works for c standard, though at that point it gets a bit loose, but it depends on preference.
Quote by ampoverload
i use 9-46 and have tuned to drop A, its really loose and sloppy, lol

I have 12-56's in Drop A and the low A isn't tight enough for me... maybe a 58 would do the trick. I have 9-46's on my standard tuned guitar... I couldn't imagine them with anything lower than Drop D.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
10's will do fine, but make sure adjust the truss rod to compensate for the lower tension. otherwise I'll laugh when you twist you neck.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by Sodom616
I'm using a Schecter guitar with a 24.75 scale neck and i currently have 10gauge's on and was wondering if i would encounter any problems with the the neck or tuning if I tune down to D? I know most of you will say use thicker strings but i have yet to find a shop here that sells anything thicker than 10gauge strings and i searched many shops. The action of the guitar is not that low, it's more like low-medium which is not as low as you would find with an Ibanez, just mentioning that because higher action=higher tension

A 10-46 set in D Standard has nearly the same neck tension as a 9-42 set in E Standard.

(39.5kg v. 41 kg)
I use 9's and 10's for D standard and drop C, works fine for me.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I like how this thread was "will this work", yet turned into "whats you're guys' personal preferences in string gauges for standard, but more so non-standard tunings"
Where's Waldo?
Umm....yea....ur good
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Well, is it a String-thought-body? String-through's can handle lower tunings better then a floyd (factory for most schecters that don't have String through)
Personally I find 10's a bit loose for D standard. I've got 10-52's on my Charvel in D, and the F, A and D strings are a bit too loose, and I'm a guy who uses 9's in E, so if I think its loose it is damn loose, and the Charvel is a 25.5" scale.

I'd recommend 11-54's for D on a 24.75" scale.
Wow... LOL
I was tuning Eb with 56-56-46-26w-17-13
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan