Ok, i went ahead and bought the Crate V16 I found advertised, but it wasn't exactly what I expected.

First, it had been 'converted' into a head / cab unit, with both the head and cab servicable but far from professional. I have however ordered new tubes as per suggestions in an earlier thread.

Second, once I got it home, I realized the reverb tank was missing.

On the schematic it calls for a 150ohm resistive load, but I don't really feel like buying a tank right now so I'm wondering what happens if I simply keep the reverb knob on '0' and ignore it?

Also, any suggestions for mods to increase quality/longevity of the overall unit.

Last, I'll be building a new combo cabinet for it, any tips on what to do or avoid?
The reverb in those is bufferred by op-amps. Having no load on it will do no harm whatsoever. Just keep the reverb level down to eliminate any stray noise from the return buffer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The reverb in those is bufferred by op-amps. Having no load on it will do no harm whatsoever. Just keep the reverb level down to eliminate any stray noise from the return buffer.

Yer a good man, I don't care what the neighbors say about ya...!

What do you think about eliminating the reverb section and putting an effects loop in there?
It'll probably work fine as an FX loop without any mods. J11 and J15 should be connected to the shield on your FX loop. You'll be able to identify J11 and J15 easily enough, they are connected to ground. It will be the shield on the RCA jacks currently there.
The only thing you may have to change is R29 because that controls the gain and therefore the output voltage of the send. If the signal is too hot from the send line reduce it. The gain factor is 1 + (R29/R28) so as it is, it has a gain of 2. That should be fine to drive most things.
http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/misc_amp/crate_v16_palomino.pdf
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
It'll probably work fine as an FX loop without any mods. J11 and J15 should be connected to the shield on your FX loop. You'll be able to identify J11 and J15 easily enough, they are connected to ground. It will be the shield on the RCA jacks currently there.
The only thing you may have to change is R29 because that controls the gain and therefore the output voltage of the send. If the signal is too hot from the send line reduce it. The gain factor is 1 + (R29/R28) so as it is, it has a gain of 2. That should be fine to drive most things.
http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/misc_amp/crate_v16_palomino.pdf

R29 - 4.7k
R28 - 4.7

Confused? Been 20 years since I did this...
It don't worm other to 2 since you have the 47 and 4.7k resistor, bit the coil of the reverb tank is also in the circuit so that modifies the gain. You also have the cap in the circuit.

Looks like Crate says it should be about 6.5