Let me preface: I'm a scary movie buff. I love them and like to be scared. I've seen all the classics and about 50 mediocre horror films throughout the years.

Insidious recently came out on DVD. I saw it in theater and thought it was one of the most effective scary movies of all time. It was also the only time EVER that I have actually yelled "AHH!" during a movie (if you've seen it you know what part). Yeah it's got the same story as Poltergeist and steals elements from The Orphanage, but as far as the scares and atmosphere go, it's top notch.

Granted, movie theaters are much more tense than at home with friends, but I cannot understand for the life of me why people say that this movie isn't scary. I've heard at least 6 people now either in person or on facebook laugh at people for thinking the movie is scary, or outright saying it was stupid and not scary.

Are they trying to act tough? Did they not watch the movie? I've seen enough scary movies to recognize that the movie is in fact scary, so I don't know what's happening.

(This same phenomenon occurred after the first Paranormal Activity as well. Except in that case I can understand why they said it because the first hour isn't that scary and just sets the mood)
Whether I am a hungry rabbit or a frightened carrot, my home is the same.
Honestly, I spend to much time during a scary movie bitching about how the storyline sucks ass to be scared by it.

If it's a scary movie with a good story (not many of those, tbh), then I wont act tough or anything. I like being scared.

edit: To clarify, I love scary movies, but it's a very difficult genre to have a good plot AND be scary, so that's what I meant in saying "not many of those"
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jul 29, 2011,
Horror is my absolute favorite movie genre, but I thought Insidious was just super-lame.

It's nothing to do with being "tough", the movie just wasn't scary IMO.

Also, the "lipstick-face demon" (that's seriously what it's called in the credits) was so ridiculous looking, I couldn't help but laugh at it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I love scary movies and to be scared but then as im falling asleep those videos return to mind.
Yes,I'm a pussy.
I guess I stand corrected then. I just feel like they took all the conventional, "American" style jump out scares and really executed them effectively, more so than I had ever seen before.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Horror is my absolute favorite movie genre, but I thought Insidious was just super-lame.

Also, the "lipstick-face demon" (that's seriously what it's called in the credits) was so ridiculous looking, I couldn't help but laugh at it.

Wikipedia has him listed as that as well.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
The only films that scared me were Evil Dead and The Ring, both when I was about 10. I often watch Horror films these days, but always with my brother, and we always have a laugh throughout, so it's hard to find it very scary. That said, it's usually bad-good drosh, so it's not often that scary to start
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
'Jump scares' are never executed effectively; they're pretty much the laziest way to scare people.

It's like, "Welp, our plot sucks and the characters suck, so let's just throw in a bunch of 'jumpy-scary' stuff and that will totally make up for it and everybody will actually think it's a really scary movie, simply because they jumped..."
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
I don't see how failing to be scared by a film makes you tough. I can see why people would think that, but I don't believe that.

I personally am hard to scare with films, most modern horror is so ridiculously cliche that you can see the "scares" coming from miles away. Old films don't do much for me either because while in their time they may have been novel, they have been rehashed hundreds of times in newer film. Far from not wnting to be scared, I actually really want to find a film that scares the shit out of me.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Sleaze Disease
'Jump scares' are never executed effectively; they're pretty much the laziest way to scare people.

It's like, "Welp, our plot sucks and the characters suck, so let's just throw in a bunch of 'jumpy-scary' stuff and that will totally make up for it and everybody will actually think it's a really scary movie, simply because they jumped..."

I hate that!

Insidious did give me nightmares though, and that rarely happens from a movie. Creepypastas have given me nightmares more often than horror flicks.
Quote by entity0009
I don't see how failing to be scared by a film makes you tough. I can see why people would think that, but I don't believe that.

I personally am hard to scare with films, most modern horror is so ridiculously cliche that you can see the "scares" coming from miles away. Old films don't do much for me either because while in their time they may have been novel, they have been rehashed hundreds of times in newer film. Far from not wnting to be scared, I actually really want to find a film that scares the shit out of me.

Alright. I'll get back to you in about 10 years...I had an idea for a horror movie in 7th grade once. Forgot what it was...

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
It's all about atmosphere, baby.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
You can't accuse someone of acting tough because they're not scared by something. I've been accused of it before. Personally I find it very difficult to be scared by a horror movie because I don't really get into the story of the films that much.

Basically:
-Different people are scared by different things
-If the person finds the story boring they wont get into the film and the effect on them is less
-Some people are better at seperating fiction from reality

Disclaimer: I personally do not view loud noises and flashing to make a person jump as the film being scary. For example if someone turns round to see the monster or killer or whatever and there is suddenly loud music or a loud bang then people are being scared by a sudden loud noise, not the plot or the antagonist which are supposed to be the scary part.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the part where she's wearing a gas mask...

I mean, seriously--A ****ING GAS MASK?!

So goddamn stupid.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by entity0009

Mulholland Drive
Poltergeist (if you're still 8)

If you want to be really scared, watch Session 9 in an abandoned school house at night during the summer (freaky stuff)

Some of my friends and I went to see the Exorcist in theater a month ago and they think that is the scariest movie ever. I had already seen all the scary parts and it kind of ruined it for me.
I don't get scared by that sort of stuff, the thing that really scares me is stuff that I believe could actually happen to me, ie. serial killer movies.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by dontstopblevin

This.

I even have 'Poltergeist' and I've never thought it way scary at all; it's almost borderline camp.

I remember hearing the review of Insidious before I saw it and it was like "The scariest movies since 'Poltergeist" and I'm like "LOLWUT? Poltergeist isn't scary in the least..."; I won't even mention that Insidious was basically just a bad rip-off the same plot.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
I guess I was sort of indoctrinated into them as a kid, my cousin was/is big on horror and b-movies (particularly that combination). The gore and stuff would initially scare me but then gradually wore off. Of course my parents never knew I was watching this stuff, but then, they let me watch The Elephant Man and that creeped me out way more.
Quote by Sleaze Disease

If that movie still scares you now...
Quote by dontstopblevin
Mulholland Drive

If you want to be really scared, watch Session 9 in an abandoned school house at night during the summer (freaky stuff)

Some of my friends and I went to see the Exorcist in theater a month ago and they think that is the scariest movie ever. I had already seen all the scary parts and it kind of ruined it for me.

I've seen Poltergeist, wasn't too impressed. Exorcist did absolutely nothing for me unfortunately. I haven't heard of Mulholland Drive, which is probably a good sign. I shall check it out.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Calling him the 'Lipstick faced demon' doesn't really sound exactly threatening does it? 'O noez, he fails to learn how to apply makeup accessories on correctly, we're all ****ed now aren't we? '
'And if this clock keeps beating down, let the branded time keep playing, of all the minutes that were taken away, will your watch be waiting.'
I saw the exorcist when I was 10, at the time it did shit me up. I find certain things startling, but I've pretty much desensitised myself to them now :/
Quote by entity0009
I've seen Poltergeist, wasn't too impressed. Exorcist did absolutely nothing for me unfortunately. I haven't heard of Mulholland Drive, which is probably a good sign. I shall check it out.

Mulholland Drive is a good movie but personally I didn't find it scary, though it did have that creepy atmosphere throughout it.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by ShadesOfNight

If that movie still scares you now...

I remember seeing the trailers on TV. I immediately thought of Maul when ever I saw that thing on the right.

Quote by due 07

I make music sometimes.
Yep, the picture on the right is where I yelled in the theater.

Watch it again, watch the build-up to the scene. The mom is telling a ghost story, it alternates between calm/tense, calm/tense, (music constantly building) you see the demon and relax...

THEN POW!

It's really well thought out, and better than anything I've seen in the past 4 years of scary movies
Quote by dontstopblevin
better than anything I've seen in the past 4 years of scary movies

Wow.

That's really not saying much.

I honestly can't think of a real good horror movie that was made in my life time (born in '88) that made me go "Wow, this truly is a good horror movie".

I remember when the 'Blair Witch Project' came out and everybody was shitting their pants about how scary it was and how it was going to go down as a classic; the trailer was the only thing scary about that movie (seriously, the trailer did freak me out a bit, but the movie itself was just boring).
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease

I think they can be used effectively as means rather than as an ends. After a couple of well executed jump scares you should be left on the edge of your seat expecting more round each corner which I think works well.

The whole opening scene in the penthouse in Rec2 had this feel to it after the jump scare in the same location in the first film.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Wow.

That's really not saying much.

I honestly can't think of a real good horror movie that was made in my life time (born in '88) that made me go "Wow, this truly is a good horror movie".

I said last 4 years because I thought REC was really good. Watching now probably wouldn't do you much good if you've already seen a ton of shaky cam movies, but at the time it was really crazy.

Your statement made me google some good 2000s horror, and most of it is shit. Here's a link though. I haven't seen Inside, but I'm going to check it out since it's #1 on the list.
http://listverse.com/2009/07/12/top-15-horror-films-of-the-2000s/