My gibson SG 61 reissue is having a little bit of trouble staying in tune. Sometimes it will just go out of tune while playing. This is especially a problem with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings. What can I do to fix this problem and make my guitar stay in tune better.

Thx.

P.S. I dont want too many heavy modifications, as I do not want to take the value away from my guitar.
try putting graphite lube (or pencil lead shavings) in the string slots of your SG's nut

the strings may be binding in the nut
Is it your strings?

If not, you could get locking tuners, or a graphtec/tusq nut.
Where's Waldo?
Locking tuners. It's the only way. They make drop in replacements for most brands like Grover and Kluson, so you can use them without having to drill into the headstock. Check out allparts.com - they have lots of them there.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Most of the time tuning issues are due to bad restringing technique or really old strings.
Yeah, trust Jesus.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
^What everyone else said about drawing graphite in the nut and restringing properly, but I also HEARD that the SG just has a weak neck/body connection and goes out of tune when you put pressure on the neck.

Not sure if it's a hard and fast law but I've been witness to my friend and his SG tuning problems.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Not a hard and fast law, but a great stereo type that lets me hate on SGs for more than being ugly looking skinny pieces of shit. Only reason I didn't say that was because I've already gotten a warning for flaming.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by LZRocker
Not a hard and fast law, but a great stereo type that lets me hate on SGs for more than being ugly looking skinny pieces of shit. Only reason I didn't say that was because I've already gotten a warning for flaming.

....how was that helpful??
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
I'm surprised everyone missed the obvious. set up. A bad set up can also cause these problems as well.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Ippon
And if it's set up properly and the nut's fine, it could be stringing technique; so, try this:

Actually there isn't a restringing technique which made it harder to restring and made my guitar go out of tune more often than this one TBH.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Actually there isn't a restringing technique which made it harder to restring and made my guitar go out of tune more often than this one TBH.

i find that it takes longer for the strings to 'settle' if you restring it like that but once they do my guitars only ever go out of tune because of temperature changes. it takes about as long as it takes to get rid of the crappy metallic sound from new strings.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.