Page 1 of 2
Why do companies do this!!!!!????

My buddy bought a black Dean Razorback for $1200 a couple years back. He's moving and will let me have it for $450.

I go to the Dean site and WTF. They now have black Razorbacks with case that sell new on Ebay for under $300. Sure, they might not be the same quality but they immediately lower the resale value of the higher end models.

$450 sounds good but when it comes to reselling in future nobody can figure out what model is what. Is it a high end, low end...do you have the invoice, blah,blah,blah...causes nothing but confusion.

Anyways, $450 is now too much. I'll pass. I never buy a guitar I can't resell easily for the same price.

F.U. Dean guitars. I wish companies wouldn't do this. Use another friggin name for a lower end model you bastards!!!
Deans aren't exactly known for a good resale or quality, I honestly think Deans are crap. I wouldn't pay $5 for one let alone $1200 (Is he retarded?) And just so you know the Dime sig models are crap also. buy a Squier you'll get a better resale value!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Aren't the high end models either USA or Dime, whereas the lower end ones aren't?

Edit: Totally agree with the guy above. Never buy a Dean. They're just... awful... truly, truly awful.
Quote by Guitar_Jester
You really can't tell the difference between a high end and a low end?

You've never playerd these two guitars. how would YOU know. hint...you don't and need to play that's the point.

The point isn't which is better. The point is there is confusion as to 'what model is what'?
Quote by Guitar_Jester
You really can't tell the difference between a high end and a low end?

+1
Quote by TheKraken
Aren't the high end models either USA or Dime, whereas the lower end ones aren't?

Edit: Totally agree with the guy above. Never buy a Dean. They're just... awful... truly, truly awful.

The high end ones I've seen were made in China.

Deans aren't all crap. I picked up a used Dean ML for $125 and it plays great as a metal axe. I can't however, ever see paying hundreds more for a fancy paint job and the name of a dead guy on it.
some manufacturers put these nifty serial numbers on their guitars that hep you figure stuff like this out. I guess Dean hasn't started doing that yet...
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by Pocopot
The high end ones I've seen were made in China.

Deans aren't all crap. I picked up a used Dean ML for $125 and it plays great as a metal axe. I can't however, ever see paying hundreds more for a fancy paint job and the name of a dead guy on it.

For the price....they are crap. The last truly good Deans were in the 80's, you're 20+ yrs too late for one!!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Another example. a BC rich Mockingbird came up for sale on local ads last week..$180. I thought ...hmmm...must look into.

sure enough...another low end axe that sells new for $200 using the name of what was a well known guitar with a decent reputation.
Quote by Pocopot
You've never playerd these two guitars. how would YOU know. hint...you don't and need to play that's the point.

The point isn't which is better. The point is there is confusion as to 'what model is what'?

-You know that he hasn't played either? That is creepy.
-The point is which is better. If you're mad that a company makes a cheap and a nice version of the same guitar, I don't really know how to help you.
-If you can't tell the difference or can't find a model number, don't buy the guitar. Especially on eBay, where descriptions can be really bad. There's no harm in not taking a gamble.

I don't get why you're mad about this. Clearly there's more than one iteration of the same model, and perhaps it's hard to identify which is which from crappy pictures on eBay, but I don't get why it's Dean's problem that you can't figure that out. They don't want you to buy a used guitar, and it's not really a business consideration of theirs that you can't figure out which model you're trying to buy used. Plus, can't you be reasonably sure that the $1200 model is not the one being sold for $300 with a case? I'm just not sure this is something worth getting mad over.
Quote by Woffelz
I hear Deans are spiky pieces of wood with crazy paint jobs.

$1200 paint jobs.. You could paint a whole car.
you're comparing a $1200 guitar to a $300 guitar. there will be a big difference and those who will appreciate the difference will still go for the $1200 model.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
They do have different model names, the low end ones are called "Razorback DB's". I could teach a 5 year old in a matter of seconds to tell the difference between these and the high-end models. The high end models are built in Korea (not China like you stated) and the USA models are built in Tampa Florida.

If you don't like the guitar, don't buy it and stop complaining online about pointless nuances you think are serious problems. Also judging by your comments on your profile you seem to jump to hard-headed conclusions fairly quickly.. This thread is nothing more than a close-minded rant from a green user and I believe it should be closed...
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
It's really hard to find a guitar that's decent stock. I mean, Gibson, Gretsch, Dean, and Kramar have gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in quaity. Thus why I say get a guitar that looks cool and you like how it feels and fix 'er up.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by LZRocker
It's really hard to find a guitar that's decent stock. I mean, Gibson, Gretsch, Dean, and Kramar have gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in quaity. Thus why I say get a guitar that looks cool and you like how it feels and fix 'er up.

wait ... aren't you being sarcastic or ... are you ..???!! your sig is confusing meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Quote by AEnesidem
wait ... aren't you being sarcastic or ... are you ..???!! your sig is confusing meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

lol. That comment was actually not sarcastic.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by LZRocker
lol. That comment was actually not sarcastic.

i know, everyone knows their quality has gone down as guitar is becoming more and more popular. it was just me making a stupid joke you know.

belgian ...humor i guess?
Quote by AEnesidem
i know, everyone knows their quality has gone down as guitar is becoming more and more popular. it was just me making a stupid joke you know.

belgian ...humor i guess?

Yep, Belgian humor.
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
It doesnt work like that bro.

My BF has a Razorback, the green slimebumblebee. Its a nice playing guitar, stabs me in the eye sometimes but i like the neck, much nicer than the usual baseball bat dean use.

Its pretty lame he spent £750 and it has a LFR and a dimebucker.

To get it USA made and with a OFR you have to spend £2700.
DBZ is the new Dean

no joke
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by LZRocker
Yep, Belgian humor.

i hope you didn't remove your new sig because of my fantastic joke?

and yes, those DBZ guitars are still a bit too extreme to my taste but the finishes and looks are waaaay more beautiful than those dean guitars. dean guitars were in my opinion the ugliest guitars ever made. but DBZ seems quite fine and we have a DBZ Cavallo at our local shop. looks like a nice well built guitar, beautifull curves and good finish, i should ask to play on it maybe... allthough i don't like V's. just curious!
You were looking at Deans and BC Richs? I think theres the problem
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
You were looking at Deans and BC Richs? I think theres the problem

lol. this guy^
Lol, I laugh at all the 11'er bandwagoning going on in this thread "bra, it's a Dean, DEAN SUCKS YO!!".

The higher end Deans are excellent guitars, it's just all the low end crap they put out has given the company a bad rep.

The Dean for $300 you're looking at is most likely their lower end model, and the $1200 one your friend bought is one of the higher end, which, it's most likely a great guitar, I know a guy with one, excellent guitar, extremely stupid shape.
Quote by AEnesidem
i should ask to play on it maybe... allthough i don't like V's. just curious!

Is anyone else seeing this the way I am??
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Everyone likes to shit on Dean. Idk.... I played a VMNT that I thought was awesome. Anyone else ever play one ?
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
what a load of bullshit,les pauls were dead b4 slash made them popular,same as dime made deans popular,they obviously played them because they enjoyed them,id never sell any of my guitars
Quote by austhrax
what a load of bullshit,les pauls were dead b4 slash made them popular,same as dime made deans popular,they obviously played them because they enjoyed them,id never sell any of my guitars

The folks who dump on Deans, etc. are guys sitting in their underwear at the keyboard. They own a $100 guitar they don't know how to play.
They come across as silly but think they are wise dudes. They are pathetic dweebs.
Last edited by Pocopot at Jul 30, 2011,
Quote by Pocopot
The folks who dump on Deans, etc. are guys sitting in their underwear at the keyboard. They own a $100 guitar they don't know how to play.
They come across as silly but think they are wise dudes. They are pathetic dweebs.

You disappoint me. The "dweebs" dumping on Dean are people who respect good quality and good pricing. Dean CAN make good guitars. They're just outrageous to get one. You are obviously the pathetic dweeb in your underwear at the keyboard whining about a company making expensive and inexpensive models with the same shape and general look, when if you ever pay attention, every major guitar company does. Do a little research before you start criticizing a company and those smarter than you.

/thread
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by Pocopot

of course, you know all about pathetic dweebs sitting at their keyboards in their underwear, don't you
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Pocopot

No Deans are overpriced for what you get. Kinda like an MG...........

There are good Deans, but like stated the prices are rediculousfor a decen one. I can ge an Epiphone for $300 and it would take probably a $600 Dean ot compare quality.

And I have owned several Deans in my life, some good, some pure crap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No Deans are overpriced for what you get. Kinda like an MG...........

There are good Deans, but like stated the prices are rediculousfor a decen one. I can ge an Epiphone for $300 and it would take probably a $600 Dean ot compare quality.

And I have owned several Deans in my life, some good, some pure crap.

Several?

You kept buyng them for some odd reason even though you say they are over priced. Are you a slow learner? Did you take the little bus to school?
the point i'm making is that most popular guitar brands are overpriced,les paul anyone??
Quote by OliOsbourne
Is anyone else seeing this the way I am??

A**hole

and i just hate dean because i don't like the sound of most of em , all the deans i have heard in my life even the high end ones sounded fuzzy, like dimebag darrel's sound and i HATE that sound. except for the their highest end models could be quite good. and i think there is a reason that dean started a new company: DBZ guitars...
I bet your mate would be pissed off if you went and brought a $300 Razorback instead of his $450 one lol.

For some reason Dean's have got a bad quality rap, but they're good enough for Matt Heafy (Trivium), Micheal Ammot (Carcass/Arch Enemy), Dimebag Darrel (Pantera, Damage Plan), Eirc Peterson (Testment and some random sideproject), Dave Mustaine (Metallica, Megadeth) etc, I guess they're OKAY guitars.

Quote by Pocopot
Several?

Did you take the little bus to school?

METAL!
Quote by Pocopot
Several?

You kept buyng them for some odd reason even though you say they are over priced. Are you a slow learner? Did you take the little bus to school?

Why do you feel the need to be rude when you've already been proven stupid AND illiterate? He clearly stated he had some good ones, so he was probably I don't know, maybe willing to dish out cash for a guitar he liked. Who knows.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by austhrax
the point i'm making is that most popular guitar brands are overpriced,les paul anyone??

Les Paul isn't a guitar brand. And you can buy a les Paul for whatever budget you have, the main difference will of course be quality
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Page 1 of 2