Page 1 of 2
So, who here is a fan of very negative, angry, or cynical comedians? For example:

Christopher Titus: His acts are centered around his schizophrenic, manic-depressive mom who murdered one of her husbands, his alcoholic father, he ex-wife who beat him, and other fun topics like that.
Bill Hicks: He spends a lot of time criticizing religion and politics; he seems to have a very strong hatred for Christians.
Lewis Black: Most of you probably know him already from Comedy Central; very angry, very aggressive.

So, does anybody here know any more? Who here likes this kind of act?
To a degree, I hate comedians like Bill Hicks though.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
****ing love Lewis Black, seeing him on my birthday
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I find some of them funny if they're making jokes while also proving good points. I dislike the ones that simply rant though.

Example
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jul 29, 2011,
Other than Steve Hughes... not really. A lot of the time it just ends up with them ranting and not actually making any jokes.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
i actually remember hearing Lewis Black walked out on a show he was doing at a college recently right as he was supposed to go on. he poured himself a drink, and the place told him he couldn't drink on stage.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Marc Maron.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I like Christopher Titus, hate Lewis Black. I don't think bitter and cynical matter to me in the world of comedy. I think it's just more about the material.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
i love titus. and adam carolla. even though i don't think they like each other.
#DTWD
Louis CK.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Bill Hicks didn't rant about religion much really compared to most of what he talked about, i don't think saying 'do you think jesus wants to see crosses when he comes back?' is 'hating' christians. It's making a joke and a good point to them if anything.

Also on topic, i like it when it's done well if they're actually speaking about a good point too, George Carlin and Bill Hicks for instance , who spoke the truth just whilst using their platform as comedians.
I think Chris D'Elia is the funniest f*cker ever to live
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Stewart Lee, Johnny Vegas, Jerry Sadowitz, Chris Morris
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by Zoot Allures
Bill Hicks didn't rant about religion much really compared to most of what he talked about, i don't think saying 'do you think jesus wants to see crosses when he comes back?' is 'hating' christians. It's making a joke and a good point to them if anything.
Watch one of his acts; he's very critical of religion. Click his name in the OP to get a small idea of what I mean.
Quote by White_Venom1993
Yeah, George Carlin, Loise CK, Bill Hicks, but Lewis Black is terrible honestly.

But yes, Louis CK is hilarious.

I remember watching one of Christopher Titus' stand up specials and he made a joke about 9/11 that got no laughs at all. It felt embarrassing watching it.
Quote by U-neek
Now that is an epic win right there!!!!

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M
PSN: Livewire410
Last edited by Livewire8195 at Jul 29, 2011,
I kinda like Bill Hicks and Louis CK is a bit cynical. So is Patton Oswalt (arguably the greatest comedian of all time).

But cynicism gets on my nerves after a while.

Edit: And Lewis Black might be the worst comedian alive. He rivals Carlos Mencia.
Quote by The Madcap
I kinda like Bill Hicks and Louis CK is a bit cynical. So is Patton Oswalt (arguably the greatest comedian of all time).

But cynicism gets on my nerves after a while.

Edit: And Lewis Black might be the worst comedian alive. He rivals Carlos Mencia.
Greatest of all time? Patton?

No way, Jose.

Greatest ever is Bill Cosby.

Him or Neil Hamburger.

And I also don't like Lewis Black, but I'd rather listen to him than a lot of people.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by herby190
Watch one of his acts; he's very critical of religion. Click his name in the OP to get a small idea of what I mean.

I'm a big fan of Bill Hicks, he's critical but he's far less of a 'i hate religion' and more like 'this is dumb if you think about it'. Usually he's pointing out specific examples.
im suprised that no one mentioned doug stanhope. he is pretty cynical
Quote by slafoo
Lol I love the fact you use the word majestic to describe titties... it's as if there are hundreds of titties majestically frollocking in a meadow somewhere *drifts off*
Garfield.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
George Carlin is really good, though i don't agree on some points he has, like that Caucasians aren't allowed to like the blues.
Louis CK is my favorite comedian, hands down.

EDIT: I agree with Greg Giraldo as well, he was hilarious.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Jul 29, 2011,
Denis Leary and Bill Burr are awesome
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Greg Giraldo was an amazing Social Critic when it came to a lot of stuff, particularly western greed, media fear mongering and America's backwards policies on almost everything

if you only know Giraldo from the roasts you're missing a huge piece of what made him a truly great comedian, in fact get up from where you are right now, go to your local cd/dvd place and grab a copies of his 2 recorded specials; A Good Day to Cross A River and Midlife Vices

Giraldo was a phenomenal social critic and one of the most bitingly funny cynical bastards i ever listened to.
I used to be a goddamn saint. I said my prayers and handled snakes until the road introduced me to sin. I only shook hands with drink but he had friends with him
Bill Hicks was amazing.

I don't think it's as much about the content as is about the delivery though.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I'm not usually a big fan of stand-up comedy. I love Louis CK, though, and have always disliked Lewis Black. Never found him funny. Ever.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Mhmm, well it depends on how I feel at the time..

like, right now, id probably get pissed of at any comedian because I'm tired...

But sometimes I like to listen to a upbeat, happy comedian like Michael Mcintyre/Lee evans (really mainstream guys)...

But If I want to see geniuses who talk about real life stuff and make really good points, ill go watch Bill hicks, George carlin and even chris rock. I usually like to listen to someone who takes risks with what they say and sort of go a bit far... but still not so far that it's out of order.. I like the ones who arn't afraid to speak the truth but be so funny with it..
Quote by GrungeBeatle
Denis Leary and Bill Burr are awesome

Love Dennis Leary. He may have some bad controversy on him and Bill Hicks. But damn he makes me laugh. He just goes WAY TO FAR and makes Radical jokes. Some of his stuff I think "oooo, you can't say that man!" but a few seconds later I'm like "meh, but its funny and kinda true"..
Quote by herby190

Bill was a Christian. To really appreciate some of Bill's humor, you have to understand that he loved a lot of the things he joked about. He jokes about the South and America in general. Why do you think he never left? He would have had a much better career if he had moved to England. It's cause he loved America.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by PanamaJack666
Jim Jeffries. Best comedian I've ever seen. Fact.

I saw the recent one and I was on the floor dying from laughter.

Love Carlin and Titus. Don't really care for Lewis Black though and Leary's just okay.

Some other good ones are Robin Williams, Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, and Richard Pryor. Their acting roles aren't always good but their stand-ups are nearly unbelievable.
Page 1 of 2