They seem very convenient and easy to use, so I'm thinking of buying one as my main tuner (tuner pedals are too expensive). The ability to tune while unplugged and without having to worry about background noise affecting the tuner sounds very appealing.
I love mine. But make sure its one that uses a "piezo".

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by zincabopataurio
They seem very convenient and easy to use, so I'm thinking of buying one as my main tuner (tuner pedals are too expensive). The ability to tune while unplugged and without having to worry about background noise affecting the tuner sounds very appealing.

i really like the snark. tracks quick and steady (which was my main complaint with tuners). it's screen is also very easy to see in 'gig situations'.

i have heard an acoustic player complain that if he is out of tune mid-song it is hard for him to tune because the acoustic's body is picking up too much band noise. i haven't had this problem (of course i don't play acoustic in band situations either)

i'd say "do it".
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
the piezo ones are very accurate. just make sure you mute the other strings on a non-harmonic spot(so not the 12th or 5th frets, etc)

as for the acoustic problem, that does happen. i can hum a note next to my acoustic and the tuner will pick it up through piezo. its only really a problem with bass though. if i hum a high note, it doesnt always show up.
^ don't forget 7, 19 and 24
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

dunno bout that one, but i imagine there're all fairly similar. i'd go for the snark cos it looks cool and can do more instruments(ya never know when that will prove useful/ i ever acheive my dream of owning a shamisen)
Quote by teh_goon
dunno bout that one, but i imagine there're all fairly similar. i'd go for the snark cos it looks cool and can do more instruments(ya never know when that will prove useful/ i ever acheive my dream of owning a shamisen)

Can you use it for a shamisen?

I'd like to see that.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by championguitar
mine sucks balls but it gets me by

I remember that I had my crappy starcaster tuner for 2 years

Then I got the polytune
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Go to Premier Guitar Magazines online page. They do a review of the top 10.
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
mine tunes fine for practice, although i wouldn't trust it live, although i haven't really ran into any problems.

my only beef is that some headstocks make it really hard to fit a spot for (wolfgangs, most EBMM's, and i remember it not liking a jackson i had for some reason).

then the other problem is that it has fallen off while playing on me. that has obvious potential there though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ethan_hanus
I've used several of them, they are the biggest POS I've ever used. Even used a nice one, cost like $50, and it still wouldn't tune right.

I wouldn't waste your money on one.

Wow. I'd suggest operator error here. I've seen this type of tuner used by some rather big name concert classical guitarists. I use a simple Planet Waves clip on with my classical guitar and it works perfectly. Perhaps your guitar doesn't resonate very well?
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
i use a little cheapo clip-on tuner and it's ok, but i think they work a lot better with an acoustic guitar. with some of my guitars, it just doesn't detect the pitch of the note very easily at all, and you really have to rely on your ears just as much as the tuner.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I received a Snark SN-1 clip on tuner as a gift, and liked it so much that I purchased several and gave them to my guitar playing friends as gifts.

Haven't found anybody yet that didn't like them.

They are inexpensive, quick, accurate and easy to use.

OTOH, I have 2 microphonic clip ons that are utter crap. (The Snark works off of headstock vibration)
I received a Snark SN-1 clip on tuner as a gift, and liked it so much that I purchased several and gave them to my guitar playing friends as gifts.

Haven't found anybody yet that didn't like them.

They are inexpensive, quick, accurate and easy to use

A big +1 to this. I use the Snark and love it too
GUITARS:
PRS Custom 24 (Black Slate 10 top w/birds)
ESP E-II Horizon NT-III (RDB)
ESP Eclipse II - Snow White

AMPS:
Mesa Rectoverb combo
Quote by OliOsbourne
Can you use it for a shamisen?

I'd like to see that.

a chromatic piezo tuner will tune any instrument. when i was in high school band ppl would clip mine to their trumpets and saxophones. i also tuned basses and a violin with it.
Quote by ciano16
a chromatic piezo tuner will tune any instrument. when i was in high school band ppl would clip mine to their trumpets and saxophones. i also tuned basses and a violin with it.

cool
HILT!

Where's Waldo?