Page 1 of 3
So some of the best albums ever have been composed by drug users..Sgt Peppers, Kind of Blue, Dark Side of the Moon etc. Do you think drugs enhance creativity?
I guess, but I think it's just another pointless way to die.
Cool name btw.
Drugs make you think in different (usually stupid) ways, so I guess, yes.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by JB95
Cool name btw.

Everybody please just ignore this guy.

OT: I think they can influence creativity, but like a lot of ideas you get when you're high, it might just suck when you hear it sober.
PM me for newts
Some friends of mine decided to spend the night in their drummer's basement with some ketamine and just record whatever the result was. It was terrible.

The reason, say, Sgt. Peppers is awesome is because it was written by the Beatles. The evidence says it all:

Amazing musician(s) + drugs = amazing music

Mediocre musician(s) + drugs = mediocre music

There aren't any musicians who got famous or good solely from drugs.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
No they dont, they just make you see the world in a different way, so technically drugs dont enhance your creativity, they just alter your point of view, its that point of view that enhances the creativity.

Long story short:

Drugs are bad.
Stay in School.
Everything influences your creativity.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
yes
/thread
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
they make you think you are, but not really tbh. it just makes everything sound slower/sustained/trancy for the most part.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I think drugs just get rid of your inhibitions... so you might take more chances... so you might have the creativity in you, but without drugs you wouldn't try it... So I dont think they make you more creative, but sometimes they might unleash your creativity... different people have different inhibitions though...
---
I think that anything that lets you look at things from another perspective is going to help with your creativity, but there are safer and better ways to do this. Sleep deprivation, lucid dreaming and meditation are just a few options that don't attack your body and rot your brain. Well, sleep deprivation can also have some bad side effects, but they're temporary unless you really overdo it.

Drugs are bad, mmm-kay.
I hate when people use the word "drugs" because it is far too vague. Coke and meth don't give you cool ideas, cannabis and salvia do (for most people)
err kinda. I think they let you tap deeper into your mind and let you find ideas that you wouldn't bring out while sober. In other words, those ideas are always there but some drugs help you reach them.
1) This thread has been done like a million times. Use the damn searchbar if you must ask this question.
2) Drugs have no real correlation with good music outside the addled brains of habitual users. Yes, great albums have been made by drug users, but so have shitty ones. Sober artists have also made great and terrible works. It depends more on your musical skill rather than the effects of the drugs.
3) Drugs are illegal in most (read: Western) countries, so every single user outside the Netherlands must officially condemn drug use because this stuff is traceable.
4) Drugs are terrible for you and a lot of musicians who used them for creativity also were killed by them (Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse, Elvis; the list goes on). Just say no.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by jwd724
Drugs are terrible for you

Ever had coffee?
If you want an ego/confidence boost when you're on stage, then do drugs.

That's all they've accomplished. A change of personality. They don't open up some sort of door way in your brain that lets music flow through. That can be created sober, or high.
BLANKBLANK
Quote by tntero
No they dont, they just make you see the world in a different way, so technically drugs dont enhance your creativity, they just alter your point of view, its that point of view that enhances the creativity.

Long story short:

Drugs are bad.
Stay in School.

2) Drugs have no real correlation with good music outside the addled brains of habitual users. Yes, great albums have been made by drug users, but so have shitty ones. Sober artists have also made great and terrible works. It depends more on your musical skill rather than the effects of the drugs.
3) Drugs are illegal in most (read: Western) countries, so every single user outside the Netherlands must officially condemn drug use because this stuff is traceable.
4) Drugs are terrible for you and a lot of musicians who used them for creativity also were killed by them (Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse, Elvis; the list goes on). Just say no.

/thread

My thoughts on drug users: 'hi guys, my brain is so weak and shit at every aspect of life that i need to modify it with substances because im such a failure'
Tbh, people point out the great musicians who used drugs but, you gotta remember that A LOT of people in society use drugs, it isn't just rock musicians. It's doctors, businessmen, the guy working at the checkout, it's all aspects of society. So pointing out musicians who used them and were good is stupid because you can find just as many terrible musicians who use them or just random people who aren't musicians but use them too.
Quote by s31770
/thread

My thoughts on drug users: 'hi guys, my brain is so weak and shit at every aspect of life that i need to modify it with substances because im such a failure'

My thoughts on you.

You're a hypocrite who probably drinks coffee / cola and similar caffinated drinks, is friends with people who drink alcohol and smoke and potentially do one of these yourself yet don't consider these to be 'real drugs' because you've been brainwashed by society and thus are unable to form your own opinions.
Almost definetly, especially when it comes to the mary-jane. Scientific research has shown that connections in your brain relating to vocabulary increase due to the affects THC has on nerve receptors.
It actually does tend to make it a little bit easier. I'm not saying that drugs are required to write a masterpiece, but they do help the mode of thinking and they can also open your mind.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Quote by Zoot Allures
My thoughts on you.

You're a hypocrite who probably drinks coffee / cola and similar caffinated drinks, is friends with people who drink alcohol and smoke and potentially do one of these yourself yet don't consider these to be 'real drugs' because you've been brainwashed by society and thus are unable to form your own opinions.

Dude, that reeks of trolling, srsly, just ignore this guy. And this is coming from a troll aswel
EDIt: "This guy" being the guy you were replying to, not you
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Last edited by Ometh at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by JB95
Cool name btw.

Oh cause everyone from the beatles and pink floyd died from drug use

oh wait no that was a lunatic and cancer
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
As an avid pot smoker, let me say that it's not a tool to force out creativity. Jamming high is awesome, I come up with a lot of great stuff but it's not because I think to myself "I need to write a new song, gotta get high first", I jam for fun and happen to come up with stuff in the process. I find being high allows me to focus on my playing more, that's it.

If you're trying to get over writer's block and contemplating smoking weed just to write music then GTFO, seriously. If you already happen to be into Mary Jane then try jamming high and see what comes out of it.
after trimming my pubic hair, i've just realized, my dick is enormous

ot: it depends on the artist. you can be anything from the beatles to giraffes? giraffes!.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
In an indirect sort of way, yes. As one poster said, many drugs allow you to view the world from a different perspective. That can contribute to your musical output but there's certainly no guarantee.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Wiegenlied
Oh cause everyone from the beatles and pink floyd died from drug use

oh wait no that was a lunatic and cancer

Those guys were only into pot and hallucinogens, not coke/meth/heroin which is the stuff that kills.
depends on the drug i guess.I've written some pretty good stuff while stoned, then again i've written decent stuff while sober too.

Regarding stronger drugs like lsd tho ( i'm going to assume you meant psychedelics ) I doubt actually making music while tripping balls will have any good result. I'm pretty sure most great music influenced by drugs was written while sober.The experiance simply gives inspiration.
^
Don't ever try playing instruments while tripping, lol. I meant getting ideas while tripping and then putting them on paper after coming back to Earth. A couple times I had some cool song ideas from salvia trips.
Quote by Zoot Allures
My thoughts on you.

cool thoughts bro, couldn't of been more wrong though. rofl

7/10 for comedy
Quote by s31770
cool thoughts bro, couldn't of been more wrong though. rofl

7/10 for comedy

I don't think you're a hypocrite, I think you're just misinformed.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Keith Richards said otherwise actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFAZxI_szgA

edit: damn it aint that one, well it's some interview i saw on youtube.

Tom Waits did his best work after he quit using substances, too. If anything, substance abuse can hinder creativity. Since most people like to use the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix as examples: Paul hardly did any drugs. And it caused problems between him and John. Jimi was pretty unfocused after he started using drugs so heavily. Drugs also created problems between the members of At the Drive-In who could sometimes play pretty badly when they were on drugs, who then went on to write De-Loused in the Comatorium. Now, that was a great record which was made while they were on drugs. Frances and Amptechture were made off of drugs, but everything they've done since De-Loused has been less awesome in part because one of their most important members died as a result of drugs.

So, do drugs make you more creative? No, probably not. As it seems to hinder many people's ability to create. Maybe it makes them more imaginative, though.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jul 29, 2011,
i dont think they "enhance" creativity, but they might make you more open to the ideas that you come up with, which your sober self would normally reject
i dunno
Hi, my name is Forrest and i play the Gee-tar

Current Equipment
Vintage V300 acoustic
Squier Bullet Strat
Fender FM 212R Amp
Vintage Les Paul

Next Guitar/Amp
none....... YET
I ALSO PRODUCE CRAPPY MUSIC
Twitter?
Quote by McTodd
Some friends of mine decided to spend the night in their drummer's basement with some ketamine and just record whatever the result was. It was terrible.

The reason, say, Sgt. Peppers is awesome is because it was written by the Beatles. The evidence says it all:

Amazing musician(s) + drugs = amazing music

Mediocre musician(s) + drugs = mediocre music

There aren't any musicians who got famous or good solely from drugs.

This seems reasonable. I think you're an idiot if you think you can get high and suddenly become awesome or talented.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by pwrmax
Those guys were only into pot and hallucinogens, not coke/meth/heroin which is the stuff that kills.

The only one who was really into drugs was Syd. And he was kicked out of the band.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Page 1 of 3