So I have a few questions, as I've recently started crafting my own humbucker. I've got a lot of spare guitar pickup parts laying around and my two main questions are:
1) How does a humbucker work? The two coils instead of one, how do they interact with eachother?

After answering the first one, answer the second one

2) In theory, could you somehow wire to SINGLE COIL pickups together to form a HUMBUCKER? If so, how would I go about doing that? And has anyone done that before?

I understand that was a few more than 2 questions, but that's besides the point. I'm looking for some insight and hoped UG could help me out.
Thanks!
I will not help you because of your Blink 182 thingy on the side.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Last edited by LZRocker at Jul 29, 2011,
Quote by LZRocker
I will not help you because of your Blind 182 thingy on the side.

Its Blink... and you're a dumbass

On topic:
Humbuckers work by basically wiring two single coils, humbuckers have 4 wires instead of 2, so its basically just two single coils, the can interact by connecting them in various ways, you can connect them in series, parallel and some other ways that i dont know about, i never actually mounted humbuckers, but i read some things about the humbucker itself, so, i think that you might be able to just stick 2 single coils together, wire them in series or whatever and have a humbucker, its important that they are together because of the magnetic field.

The keyword here is experimenting, there is no way you can harm your guitar or amp by experimenting with it, so just give it a try, and then post the results xD
lol, sorry dude, typo
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by tntero
that doesnt make you less of a dumbass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfB7vF7nCdA&ob=av2e
but this does
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by thehardwayout

In theory, could you somehow wire to SINGLE COIL pickups together to form a HUMBUCKER? If so, how would I go about doing that? And has anyone done that before?

considering that that is exactly what a humbucker is, the answer is yes.

you have to wire them in opposite directions and I think you can connect them in either series or parallel, google all that sweet stuff and read more about it.
ø

*MISC CREW*

e-mail me

Originally Posted by OneOfaKind
ø

Quote by tntero
lol youre lucky cause i like that song, i dont agree though xD

..you think I care if you agree?
WARNING:
Quote by shavorules42
Quote by WCPhils
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Quote by tntero
Its Blink... and you're a dumbass

On topic:
Humbuckers work by basically wiring two single coils, humbuckers have 4 wires instead of 2, so its basically just two single coils, the can interact by connecting them in various ways, you can connect them in series, parallel and some other ways that i dont know about, i never actually mounted humbuckers, but i read some things about the humbucker itself, so, i think that you might be able to just stick 2 single coils together, wire them in series or whatever and have a humbucker, its important that they are together because of the magnetic field.

The keyword here is experimenting, there is no way you can harm your guitar or amp by experimenting with it, so just give it a try, and then post the results xD

So, I just tried this idea out. And lemme tell ya, made a Frankenbucker of sorts.
Tonally, not too bad. I used a middle and bridge pickup from some old mexi strat parts i had laying around. There was a lot of bite in it, that's for sure. It was missing a fair amount of lows though. Very bright and would probably sound solid out of my all mahogany LP Studio.

Im going to use a neck and middle next and see what that gives me. Hopefully more beef. I like beef.
NOTE: Im using all of these pups in the bridge position.
I'll most likely post pictures later of my little monsters!
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Quote by thehardwayout
So, I just tried this idea out. And lemme tell ya, made a Frankenbucker of sorts.
Tonally, not too bad. I used a middle and bridge pickup from some old mexi strat parts i had laying around. There was a lot of bite in it, that's for sure. It was missing a fair amount of lows though. Very bright and would probably sound solid out of my all mahogany LP Studio.

Im going to use a neck and middle next and see what that gives me. Hopefully more beef. I like beef.

awesome dude, does it kill the hum? like an humbucker is supposed to?
pics would be awesome, how do you hold the pups together? duct tape? xD
Quote by tntero
awesome dude, does it kill the hum? like an humbucker is supposed to?
pics would be awesome, how do you hold the pups together? duct tape? xD

I used some broze colored thread (some mock "winding" i guess you could say)
And suprisingly yes, it does cancel out a lot of the hum. I'm in the works of the Middle/Neck Frankenbucker right now. Will take and post pics!

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Quote by thehardwayout
I used some broze colored thread (some mock "winding" i guess you could say)
And suprisingly yes, it does cancel out a lot of the hum. I'm in the works of the Middle/Neck Frankenbucker right now. Will take and post pics!

lol sweet, i'll be looking forward for the pics
Currently working on uploading the photos.
Finished work on the Neck/Middle Frankenbucker and it came out GREAT.
Sound was a whole world different. I tried different wiring combos and found the one that gave it a real bassy kick. It has that low end it was missing and still has the bite. It sounds VERY good driven. I dont have much to compare it to besides my Epi ProBucker 3's. But overall, the sound of the NM Frankenbucker is very close to the EPB 3's.

Quote by Chuck Norris
Quote by thehardwayout

Did you ire them in series or parallel?

Neck pickup and middle, if they are calibrated, would actually be brighter.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Okay so a humbucker works with phase cancellation. look it up, i wont go into that. anyhow, the two coils are wound reverse of each other (thus out of phase). This would make a pickup with essentially no sound if the magnets were oriented the same way BUT they are oriented opposite of each other (one is north one is south). This again makes the sound out of phase, but since they're electrically out of phase as well, they become in phase (think -1x-1). But our good buddy radio interference (aka hum) has no relation to the magnetics of the whole deal so it is still canceled out by the out of phase windings! Thus, bucking the hum! Very exciting.
essentially if you take one of the single coils and flipped it upside down (assuming theyre wound the same direction) next to the other one, and wired them in series, youd have a hideous humbucker

look up stacked humbucker also for more ideas
I think the hardest part about this project is proving that there was hum present to be cancelled. But that's not even important if you got a sound you like. The joy of building by abstract random experiments is that you end up with something very special that no-one else has. And, if you fail, you can just toss it and not mention it to anyone. That's great for you, but its exactly what manufacturing companies dont want to do. They can do something you would find difficult, and that is make two or ten or a hundred pickups that sound the same. Neither is right or wrong, just saying its way different and dont get the two processes mixed up.
Humbuckers basically are single coils but wired in reverse polarity to each other of something. I know seymour duncan single coils can be combined to technically make a humbucker (that is, say you had a strat with the bridge and middle pickups on and they were reverse wired or whatever it is, they would technically be humbuckers, or at least hum-canceling
To clear a few things up: humbuckers are two coils with opposite polarity, not phase. The termonology in that part gets mixed up quite a bit

And wiring two of your single coils in series will ghet you closer to a humbucker sound, but it won't give you a 'real' humbucker sound. The way a humbucker is physically put together is just different than the way two single coils go together, which changes the tone

That being said, wiring two singles in series won't be bad or anything..its just not quite a humbucker sound. It may be the sound you're looking for though
Quote by jetfuel495
1. The way they interact is by being wired in opposite directions. Something about cancelling the magnetic fields between the coils. I'm sure this can explain it better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbucker

2. I'm not so sure about that.

yes
it works
you have to wire both pickup hot leads to the same jug of the switch though
Quote by fenderfreak100
yes
it works
you have to wire both pickup hot leads to the same jug of the switch though

what do you mean by wiring both hot leads to the same lug?
that makes it seem to me like you're suggesting wiring the single coils in parallel instead of series (where series would be more humbucker-like)
I did the same thing a few years ago to my friends squier strat. I had some single coils laying around too.

i mounted two strat single coils side by side (in a handsome way) they were a middle and bridge from another squier strat wired in series at a bridge position on an angle like strat bridges usually are.

modern strats have a reverse wound reverse pole single coil in the middle position so that the position 2 ans 4 on the 5 way are hum canceling but that is two pickups in parallel. if you wire them end to end, that is, in series two pickups with opposite winding directions, EXACTLY like a humbucker.

it had definite characteristics of a strat pickup. alot of the quack and attack and mids. but it had some high end loss and a little more thump in the lows. it is his favorite guitar now. i would say it sounds like a high output single coil with more lows. if this thread lives, i will try to snap a photo of his guitar.

you could wire two pickups that are not reverse wound in series, but it would not be hum canceling. like one of the positions in the jimmy page les paul mod. i had a switch in one guitar where i had two humbuckers in series that i could coil tap. not exactly the jimmy page mod but i could have some of those sounds. that was some distortion thick as molasses.
Last edited by brentonlatour at Jul 30, 2011,