Hello,

I am getting sick of using my multi effects pedal that plugs straight into the computer to record. The quality of it, sucks.

I thought maybe its just me who sucks, but when i used my Rock band microphone to record a track, the quality sounded a lot better... and thats just with a rock band microphone...

--

So, i just want some tips on what would be a good recording microphone to get and other equipment...

I'm not sure what my budget will be, I could have a few hundred pounds... or just a hundred pound. It all depends on how many times I fail my driving test and have to pay for more re-takes... (and how many lessons i need to get)

I am only really going to be recording my guitar through an amp and an acoustic guitar... and also Bass guitar through the bass amp and Maybe vocals in the future..

I wont be recording drum kit as i use a drum machine on my computer, but id like to get a decent microphone that will record a drum kit, so if I get one in the future, i wont have to buy a NEW mic...

--
also... i was wondering what those mixing desks are used for? Ive seen a few people with them and i just wondered what they are used for and if I will really need one?

--
Also also... I will be recording into a midi, doing each layer seperately (if that makes any difference..

--

So, thanks about it... i tried to supply you with as much info as I can...

thanks for any help!
You won't need a mixing desk at first. For recording guitar amp i'd highly recommend a Shure SM57. For acoustic i'd recommend a Rode NT1-A, this also works really well for vocals and you can make a rough recording of live drums. Drums require a lot more mics to be recorded properally. Recording Bass i'd recommending DI'ing it. If you want to record a bass amp i'd recommend the AKG D112.

As for interface, if you're using MIDI i'd recommend an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. It also comes with phantom power for the Condenser (NT1-A).

This is pretty much the same as my setup so if you have and problems just drop me a message .
Quote by Afroboy267
You won't need a mixing desk at first. For recording guitar amp i'd highly recommend a Shure SM57. For acoustic i'd recommend a Rode NT1-A, this also works really well for vocals and you can make a rough recording of live drums. Drums require a lot more mics to be recorded properally. Recording Bass i'd recommending DI'ing it. If you want to record a bass amp i'd recommend the AKG D112.

As for interface, if you're using MIDI i'd recommend an M-Audio Fast Track Pro. It also comes with phantom power for the Condenser (NT1-A).

This is pretty much the same as my setup so if you have and problems just drop me a message .

Right, so ill need a different mic for them all? Ill probably start of with the Shure SM57 and just use that for a while (as its the cheapest and i will use guitar amp the most). Ill use it for all records of acoustic, eletric and bass... then once i get more cash ill get the rest..

And I think I do not know what a Midi is... Is audacity a Midi? I thought it was a piece of software that records lots of different layers of music? If i am correct, what is M-Audio Fast Track Pro used for? and the phantom power for the Condenser (NT1-A)? lol

Sorry for stupid questions..
Quote by DarrenReeder
Right, so ill need a different mic for them all? Ill probably start of with the Shure SM57 and just use that for a while (as its the cheapest and i will use guitar amp the most). Ill use it for all records of acoustic, eletric and bass... then once i get more cash ill get the rest..

And I think I do not know what a Midi is... Is audacity a Midi? I thought it was a piece of software that records lots of different layers of music? If i am correct, what is M-Audio Fast Track Pro used for? and the phantom power for the Condenser (NT1-A)? lol

Sorry for stupid questions..

Nah, they're normal questions for people new to recording.

MIDI is digital information sent by something such as an electric drumkit or Keyboard. If you're not gonna be using them then i'd recommend an M-Audio Fast Track MKII. The Fast Track MKII is called an Interface/External Soundcard used for recording to PC via USB/Firewire (depending on quality). You'll need one to get low latency (time delay between playing a note and hearing it on the computer).

With Audacity i think you're thinking of a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). It's where you record, mix and master music. Some of the biggest ones include Pro Tools, Logic and Cubase. At this point i'd recommend Reaper. You can use it on an unlimited trial or you can pay for a licence (it doesn't cost much).

You're best off getting an interface first. If you're not going to be using MIDI i'd highly recommend the M-Audio Fast Track MKII. For recording guitar i'd recommend reading this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250

Also Phantom Power is needed to power the NT1-A. Other good alternatives for recording Acoustic Guitar/Vocals are the Audio Technica AT2020 or AT4040 (depending on budget).
Right, So A Midi is just like when you use a synthisizer to make a drum beat or something like that? So I don't need to worry about midi stuff..

A interface is what I plug the mic's into to give it better quality and timing?
And then i use my DAW, which is where the sounds get recorded onto and i mix them together..

So for now, Would it be a good idea to get the M-Audio Fast Track MKII, and the SHURE SM57 mic, then just get familiar with those, then look towards other mics and stuff?

Ill read that link now and ill see what its got on there... thanks!
Quote by DarrenReeder
Right, So A Midi is just like when you use a synthisizer to make a drum beat or something like that? So I don't need to worry about midi stuff..

A interface is what I plug the mic's into to give it better quality and timing?
And then i use my DAW, which is where the sounds get recorded onto and i mix them together..

So for now, Would it be a good idea to get the M-Audio Fast Track MKII, and the SHURE SM57 mic, then just get familiar with those, then look towards other mics and stuff?

Ill read that link now and ill see what its got on there... thanks!

Yeah, MIDI is something to look into another time. For now an SM57 to Fast Track MKII to Reaper should be a good system to learn on.
Great! Now just to wait, once I start my new job, ill be getting 40quid a week, so hopefully will have them soon, but there is no rush!

Thanks for help!

Oh btw, just noticed you live in hertfordshire... me too! I live in North Hertfordshire.. great to see someone else nearish me on UG.

EDIT:
baldock? dayumm, just down the road from me!
Last edited by DarrenReeder at Jul 29, 2011,
Really? Cool, lol . Maybe you'll see my band one day when we're playing shows aha.

Also the best place to get an SM57 is here: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/shure-sm-57/6389. The Mic + Cable + Boom Stand for £105 is a pretty good deal.
No probs. Also i'll recommend the NT1-A over the other mics as it comes with a pop-shield, extra cable, shock mount and 10 year warranty. Also the mic sounds great for it's price. I use it all the time.
You use the NT1-A for guitar amp as well as acoustic stuff? or you mean just for anything acoustic?
I have the original NT-1 and I love it. It's a great mic. I'm assuming the NT1A is quite similar.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
dynamic mic - get an sm58 so you can use it on vocals if you want, and for guitar, just screw off the windscreen. the capsules on the 58 and 57 are exactly the same. 60 pounds for both

condenser mic - blue spark or bluebird are pretty good. i've also heard good stuff about the studio projects c1. those are all between 120-180 pounds

as far as interfaces, I'm getting the alesis multimix 8 usb, but for only one or two channel's, i'd get the alesis iO2 express. 90 and 60 pounds
Quote by DarrenReeder
You use the NT1-A for guitar amp as well as acoustic stuff? or you mean just for anything acoustic?

Theres always room for experimenting. Ideally you'll want an Dynamic mic (SM57) but you can experiment with condensers (NT1-A) on guitar amps.

Quote by axemanchris
I have the original NT-1 and I love it. It's a great mic. I'm assuming the NT1A is quite similar.

CT

I think it's the same thing, but with a shock mount, cable and pop shield added to the package (don't quote me on that).