So I was looking around ebay, and constantly find a bunch of blue voodoo amps at dirt cheap, is there a reason why they are so cheap? Im tempted to buy one some day

Here if anyones interested
http://cgi.ebay.com/Crate-BV-120H-Blue-Voodoo-high-gain-tube-head-6L6s-/120756165087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1da0d9df
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
be prepared for a bunch of "they suck, thats why" bandwagon garbage.

they are decent amps that are hugely under rated.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
They are a cheap tube amp.

Not bad if you get it at a good price.
They were a company like bugera...producing clones and their own lines too. But the difference is that they are made in the USA (blue voodoos at least to my knowledge) and are really reliable and pretty decent sounding. If u have any specific question ill be glad to let u know
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Blue Voodoos are the most underrated cheap tube amps.. They don't sound amazing, but for the price they blow most of the competition away..
/rig
Quote by mespinos
Blue Voodoos are the most underrated cheap tube amps.. They don't sound amazing, but for the price they blow most of the competition away..

They can sound amazing with taking time to equal it properly. I can get anywhere from an 80's metal yo modern day "djent"-y tones. U just gotta put the time into it
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
are they any reliable in the long term
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
yes. they are built to last through some serious abuse.

besides tube replacements and your general stuff they are built to last.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Last edited by iheartgun at Jul 29, 2011,
Mine is 11 years old. All i did to it was a refuge. Only 3 preamp tubes were blown in 11 years. Those were the stock tubes too.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
good to hear, thanks for all the replies
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Np man, hope it works out
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
np glad to help
hey Esptro i still dispise you for that deal you got on yours....not to mention its a bv150. u got some clips up yet man?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Yes the BV is hugely underrated, mainly because it says Crate on the pannel.

They are pretty reliable, there were a few heat related problems in the 90's, but those were fixed.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by iheartgun
np glad to help
hey Esptro i still dispise you for that deal you got on yours....not to mention its a bv150. u got some clips up yet man?

hehe well im actually planning non uploading with my phones mic (fairly nice) soon. considering i lack any nice microphones and would rather spend on more pedals n shii instead of recording equipment. ill give the heads up in a thread, just look out for it
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
they have a pretty fizzy tone, but they're great for the price and probably sound a lot better once you get it turned up, also marty friedman used one to record rust in peace, thought you might like to know haha
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
So under-rated ... stick some Chinese Shuguang 12AX7 (preamp) tubes for really heavy sounds if you're a gain whore. Those inexpensive tubes are re-labeled as Preferred Series 7025S or TAD 12AX7C. Works great with the BV120 and specially the BV150. Experiment with Sovteks and JJs with he Shuguangs in different positions to create some complex sound combinations.

I like the Celestion G12K100s or Swamp Thangs in combination with V30s.

jjs ecc83s preamps and ruby tube 6l6gcm-str power tubes help with the fizzyness and brightness.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

i have a blue version 120 watt blue voodoo. i got mine for ~$220 freshly retubed with a transerable warranty (lol wtf why would you pay for a transferable warranty), off of a guy on CL.

mine is in great condition, but defintely not new. i really think it is a solid amp (both pysically and tonally).

the OD can get fizzy, but you really got to spend some time EQing it. i am running mine with K100's and it sounds killer. really full IMO.

i plan to do some modding to it, and mess around with it from that perspective.

nice cleans. definitely one of the best cheap tube amps out there, mine certainly would rape a Peavey Valve King that i owned last year. its got a lot of bite to it, also be careful with it and don't wreck your tone by running too much gain.

IMO mine has all JJ's and with the exception of a Tung Sol in the pre and don't remember what for powertubes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jul 29, 2011,
The presence knob can be your worst enemy on these amps.

I have a black one that is in "new" shape. Cleans were much better then I expected. I bought it off of a guy on CL for 250. You can get them cheaper but this one still had the tags on it.

I see them in half stack form around LA for 400-600. Heads only from 200 and up.
Quote by R45VT
The presence knob can be your worst enemy on these amps.

I have a black one that is in "new" shape. Cleans were much better then I expected. I bought it off of a guy on CL for 250. You can get them cheaper but this one still had the tags on it.

I see them in half stack form around LA for 400-600. Heads only from 200 and up.

yea, i think i got my presence knob down to like 7:00-7:30. that is what will kill kill the tone.

i also forgot to say that the clean channel is pretty much stellar. the reverb is nice on the blue ones (not sure about black), i am pretty sure it has an accutronics tank.

it sounds stupid, but i can go weeks without playing one of my amps, so some of this stuff runs together, but this is the to the best of my memory.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
the reverb on the black ones is pretty nice as well.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board