Hi guys,

I am looking to invest in an amp in the coming weeks and I am a bit stumped on this one.

I used to own a MK1 Spider Valve and it was pretty sweet, but I don't really use the amount of fx I used to, and I will be mainly using the amp for recording purposes!

Would I be better off going with the 6505+? If I did want fx I could always use a mutli fx processor or use fx plug is in recording.

I'd love to get the 212 6505 but it's more than double????
Quote by 001 Metalic Demon
it looks like a les paul to me

Quote by dr_92
you look like a les paul to me
Lol

Most people are going to try flaming u for even considering those 2 in contest. But it really comes down to which u like better....go play them
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
1x12 6505 is made in China.
2x12 and larger are made in USA.

Sounds like you needs a spider IV FULL stack for recording.
You're joking?? Right???

6505 every time.
if you can afford the 212 I'd say just save a couple hundred and get the 6505 half stack instead x.x
the 2x12 6505.

Also, you might want to get an attenuator to control the volume, those things are LOUD.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by R45VT

You did notice he said Spider VALVE right?

The Bogner SV is actually a pretty competent amp. There's a reason it costs twice what the Spider IV's do...
Personaly I'd go with the SV, The 6505+ is an overrated amp, yes it may have a diecent distortion, but thats it. The SV can do just about any thing. And the Recto models are better than the 6505+ gain.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd take the 6505+...don't really care for the spider valve myself

Yur best bet is to just go play them both. If you need an amp with the effects and stuff built in the spider valve might appeal to you more
Quote by Zerox8610
You're joking?? Right???

6505 every time.
if you can afford the 212 I'd say just save a couple hundred and get the 6505 half stack instead x.x

You don't even know the range of what he plays.

Good grief you must be one of those that think that the 6505 is the solution to every question in life.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Spider valve cleans will kick a 6505 cleans any day. And the dist on those amps aren't that bad eiher
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
i quote from a thread earlier this week

for some people the answer to everything in the universe is 6505+ and not 42.

Q: "can I skip school today."
A: "6505"

Q: "do take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Q: "give me your money or i'll stab you"
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
Spider valve cleans will kick a 6505 cleans any day. And the dist on those amps aren't that bad eiher

The cleans on the 6505+ aren't as bad as people make them out to be. If you know how to EQ an amp you can get some decent cleans. Although I do agree that you can definitely come up with a 'cleaner' patch on the Spider Valve. From the sound of it, the TS is looking for something different than the Spider Valve...since he's had one in the past. I agree with 311...we need some more info.
Quote by eyebanez333
The cleans on the 6505+ aren't as bad as people make them out to be. If you know how to EQ an amp you can get some decent cleans. Although I do agree that you can definitely come up with a 'cleaner' patch on the Spider Valve. From the sound of it, the TS is looking for something different than the Spider Valve...since he's had one in the past. I agree with 311...we need some more info.

speaking in terms of headroom
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Arby911
You did notice he said Spider VALVE right?

The Bogner SV is actually a pretty competent amp. There's a reason it costs twice what the Spider IV's do...

Umm yes. I was being sarcastic. Thats why I said FULL stack spider IV.

We need more details to give him some feedback for what type of sound he is after.
Quote by R45VT

Quote by EspTro
i quote from a thread earlier this week

for some people the answer to everything in the universe is 6505+ and not 42.

Q: "can I skip school today."

Q: "do take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Q: "give me your money or i'll stab you"

You stole that post!!!
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I'm being quoted!!!

Alright next step, stage a coup de tat of UG, who's with me ye scurvy dogs!!

Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by OliOsbourne

You stole that post!!!

didnt steal shit, i said i quote lrn2read
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
didnt steal shit, i said i quote lrn2read

oops srry didn't see that
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

i'd rather have the spider valve.

not for recording tho.

i have no idea if it's good for what you play fwiw.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Personaly I'd go with the SV, The 6505+ is an overrated amp, yes it may have a diecent distortion, but thats it. The SV can do just about any thing. And the Recto models are better than the 6505+ gain.

+1

Although the Spider Valve didn't sound "amazing" to me or anything... I'd still take it over the 6505+ 112, just for the sake of it's versatility.

But then again, I'd take almost anything over a 6505+ 112.

If you can, go for a 5150/6505 combo. Way better tone than the SV or 6505+ 112, and they're only about $500 used.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Syriel
Spider Valve any day.

But I'm not a fan of the 6505 so I'm biased.

One might even say you're 'cold biased' toward the 6505...
Quote by Arby911
One might even say you're 'cold biased' toward the 6505...

Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by Martallika666

I'd love to get the 212 6505 but it's more than double????

Its cheaper than the 112 used
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
If your mainly recording id get the spider valve though! Or a peavey vypyr tube!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Its cheaper than the 112 used

You can find 2x12 5150's for @$450ish used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Actually, if you turn the channel volume on a SV all the way down before you eq anything, turn the master volume all the way up, then gradually increase the channel volume as needed, then eq after that, it sounds pretty nice. It seems to get the tube qualities of the amp to shine more and everything sounds warmer. Just be sure to turn the master volume back DOWN when you switch models or you WILL be literally blown away by the volume jump. With that said, if you primarily play heavy tones, the 6505+ 112 is an affordable contender. If you want versatility though, I'd stick with a SV. The cleans are very nice, you can get some cool slightly hairy tones, and the distortion is very tweakable (if a overly bassy on the crunch blue mode).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can find 2x12 5150's for @$450ish used

Yea thats what i said 2x12 used is cheaper than the 1x12 new
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by sg4ever
Actually, if you turn the channel volume on a SV all the way down before you eq anything, turn the master volume all the way up, then gradually increase the channel volume as needed, then eq after that, it sounds pretty nice. It seems to get the tube qualities of the amp to shine more and everything sounds warmer. Just be sure to turn the master volume back DOWN when you switch models or you WILL be literally blown away by the volume jump. With that said, if you primarily play heavy tones, the 6505+ 112 is an affordable contender. If you want versatility though, I'd stick with a SV. The cleans are very nice, you can get some cool slightly hairy tones, and the distortion is very tweakable (if a overly bassy on the crunch blue mode).

+1

The SV shines with the channel down and the master up.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Holy sh*t!

Havent looked on here for a while! Didn't realise I had so many responses!

My situaton has changed somewhat....

I recenty got a few free amp sims and Peavey Revalver with the demo version of Recabinet 3. For recording, this is what I am going to be using mainly. I can get some killer sounds with revalver, and Logic has some really nice plug ins to help sculpt my tone.

I play mainly punk/metal ranging from Metallica to NUFAN to Killswitch to Lagwagon.

Plug ins are a much better choice for me in terms of noise (I live in a thin walled block of flats), size (I live in a tiny box room), and versatility.

I'd love to get a 6505 half stack but I'm not in a band and i don't play live so it's a waste of money! It would be nice to have a good amp to mic up for my recording needs, but honestly after swapping out my POD farm and Toneport GX for a Focusrite sound card and some decent amp sim software, I do not need an amp.

I do however need a practice amp as having to start up my iMac, then logic, then sort all my plugins and settings is getting to be a pain in the arse every time i want to practice!

I've been through various 30/40 watt practice amps such as the vypyr, Valvetronix, and the cube. I played a new Cube 40xl the other day with a LTD MH351NT which seemed pretty decent in terms of plug in and play. Any other suggestions on a decent small practice amp?

PLEASE NOTE, I DO NOT NEED A 6505 TO PRACTICE. IF ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT 6505'S, YOU'RE A TWAT.

Quote by dr_92
Just go and try them both out and see which one sounds best to your ears.
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

Quote by Martallika666
Holy sh*t!

Havent looked on here for a while! Didn't realise I had so many responses!

My situaton has changed somewhat....

I recenty got a few free amp sims and Peavey Revalver with the demo version of Recabinet 3. For recording, this is what I am going to be using mainly. I can get some killer sounds with revalver, and Logic has some really nice plug ins to help sculpt my tone.

I play mainly punk/metal ranging from Metallica to NUFAN to Killswitch to Lagwagon.

Plug ins are a much better choice for me in terms of noise (I live in a thin walled block of flats), size (I live in a tiny box room), and versatility.

I'd love to get a 6505 half stack but I'm not in a band and i don't play live so it's a waste of money! It would be nice to have a good amp to mic up for my recording needs, but honestly after swapping out my POD farm and Toneport GX for a Focusrite sound card and some decent amp sim software, I do not need an amp.

I do however need a practice amp as having to start up my iMac, then logic, then sort all my plugins and settings is getting to be a pain in the arse every time i want to practice!

I've been through various 30/40 watt practice amps such as the vypyr, Valvetronix, and the cube. I played a new Cube 40xl the other day with a LTD MH351NT which seemed pretty decent in terms of plug in and play. Any other suggestions on a decent small practice amp?

PLEASE NOTE, I DO NOT NEED A 6505 TO PRACTICE. IF ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT 6505'S, YOU'RE A TWAT.

Vypyr. Or POD.
Oooh, just been looking into some 5 watt tube amps and the Blackstar HT-5 has tickled my fancy!

Quote by dr_92
Quote by Martallika666
Oooh, just been looking into some 5 watt tube amps and the Blackstar HT-5 has tickled my fancy!

Tell it to stop
Look into something other than the ht-5
Look at this!!
http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemList--VHT--m-2771
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Tell it to stop
Look into something other than the ht-5
Look at this!!
http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemList--VHT--m-2771

I own a Special 6 and must say if you are good with it you can play almost anything besides meta since no master volume.l. the tone i use for it is classic rock and punk styles and for these it works great. Killer Zeppelin tone (which was considered metal at one point, think dazed and confused). But this is the regular special 6 head the ultra has more gain.