Hi,

I've just posted an article onto my blog about 'Goal Setting For The Beginner Guitarist'.

I've taken the best bits out of it and have posted it below....

Enjoy :-)

With learning the guitar, goal setting is just as important. You have to know why you want to learn. Your goal in learning to play guitar should be clear to you, because otherwise, you will eventually lose motivation and give up. Be clear on what it is you want to accomplish, and stick to that.

Knowing what you want to accomplish will give you a clear-cut path to follow as you learn. You won’t be going around in circles because there are “road signs” already in your path, and these “road signs” are the goals that you have set for yourself.

We have always been told to be smart about the things we do and how we conduct ourselves. But did you know that there is also such a thing as setting SMART goals? SMART here stands for:

Specific
Measurable
Attainable/ Achievable
Realistic
Timely

Specific - Specific goals stand a much better chance of getting accomplished than do the general ones. A general goal would be learning to play the guitar. Now to make that more specific, you can probably say, “I want to play like Tom Morello (or whoever your favorite guitarist is), and play his guitar solos.

Measurable - For your goals to be measurable, you need to set specific criteria that you can use as a measure to your progress. Give yourself a target date, and a specific task to be accomplished by that time.

Attainable - You must remember that your goal must be achievable or attainable, in the sense that it is something that you can really work on.

Realistic - Now that you have identified your goal as attainable/achievable, you now have to identify if it is realistic. A goal being attainable/achievable has a lot to do with how realistic it is

Timely - is important for your goal to have be bound by a time frame. You can’t just say, “I want to play the guitar.” That will not give you any sense of urgency to learn and improve. But if you say, “I want to be able to play well by February next year,” then you give yourself a deadline to meet.

There you have it, the criteria for setting SMART goals. Take a few minutes to evaluate where you are now in your guitar playing, and ask yourself what else you want to accomplish, or what you want to improve and work on. If you want to read the full article on my blog you can do so here: http://www.beginnerguitaristacademy.com/326/

But the above should give you everything you need to know about setting goals for the guitar.
Nice article. The only problem I have is the last section - Timely.

Everyone learns at a different pace. Nobody will argue that one. However, when you set a goal such as "playing well by February of next year," it can set one up for failure and disappointment. What happens when you're not playing up to expectations by next February? Some may be motivated to continue striving to improve, however others may quit, because they feel they can't hack it. Also, how do you define "well?"

When I was learning guitar, I kept my timely goals very realistic. One of my techniques used to avoid boxing myself into a corner I couldn't play out of, was to use "challenge songs." A challenge song was a song I couldn't play, but I was working towards being able to play. I didn't set a time goal for the song. I would simply come back to it every couple of weeks or month and try it again. Eventually, I was able to play my challenge song and I moved on to the next one.

I'm currently taking piano lessons and jazz guitar lessons - at the same time. Again, I've not set any unrealistic goals for myself regarding time. From learning to play the guitar, I know what to expect from my piano learning and I'm able to apply that.

So, great article and hopefully it'll help someone.
Is this a repeat thread? I swear I just posted in a thread a couple hours ago from the same user with the same link.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Nice article. The only problem I have is the last section - Timely.

Everyone learns at a different pace. Nobody will argue that one. However, when you set a goal such as "playing well by February of next year," it can set one up for failure and disappointment. What happens when you're not playing up to expectations by next February? Some may be motivated to continue striving to improve, however others may quit, because they feel they can't hack it. Also, how do you define "well?"

When I was learning guitar, I kept my timely goals very realistic. One of my techniques used to avoid boxing myself into a corner I couldn't play out of, was to use "challenge songs." A challenge song was a song I couldn't play, but I was working towards being able to play. I didn't set a time goal for the song. I would simply come back to it every couple of weeks or month and try it again. Eventually, I was able to play my challenge song and I moved on to the next one.

I'm currently taking piano lessons and jazz guitar lessons - at the same time. Again, I've not set any unrealistic goals for myself regarding time. From learning to play the guitar, I know what to expect from my piano learning and I'm able to apply that.

So, great article and hopefully it'll help someone.

Thanks for the great tips.

I love the idea about having a challenge song where you spend a bit of time every now and then learning how to play it.

I've done something similar in the past where I had a song I wanted to learn, I did set a date by when I wanted to learn it, but I made the decision that if I didn't meet my goal I would still be happy.

Goal setting is great because it give you a direction and something to focus on, but where it becomes dangerous is if you set something way to unrealistic and lose motivation for not achieving the goal
Nice article but this isn't the place to promote your own website.

I won't issue a warning this time but please refrain from doing it in the future - if you want to contribute either post the complete article as-is without links or submit it as a lesson.

[EDIT]
I wasn't going to issue a warning but you've done this a few times and not been warned before, so I've changed my mind.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com