So I have a fender blacktop HH and I'm having trouble with my strings. They seem to break constantly! I am a heavy player but this is getting out of hand.

I uually play earnie balls, and anotHer brand that escapes me right now

Is there a string brand you can recommend me or is the problem the bridge?(which the saddles are always near the end of the bridge, so the string is around its longest, or else it won't be intonated)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
The bridge saddles might be sharp. You can try and file them down really carefully.

Also how do you like the tele? I was looking to get one possibly.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
Well aside from the problem, I'm incredibly happy with it. I Love the feel and I think even with the buckers it has a tele sound to it. But the thing is I have prs Starla pups in mine. LOVE THEM

Also I noticed it always popped (the string) on the bridge, and it just unraveled the string. This also happened on my schecter. More often on the tele tho
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
You mean the ball ends pop off?

Try some different strings.

Daddarios used to do it to me constantly. Then i bought some GHS boomers and never looked back.
Well they like unravel at the bridge, so they are incredibly loose with one very thin string keeping it together, and if you tug the string lightly it unravels more lol
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
sounds like the saddles are sharp and wearing through the string.
As kraftmacaroni said, try filing down the saddles ever so slightly, just enough to take the edge of them.
is there anything else you can help me with? like a walk through type thing? im just kinda confused with the filing and the type of saddle thats on the tele
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
If the tele has barrell shaped saddles its kinda unlikely theyll get sharp, move the string have a look, run your finger accross it see if you can feel anything.

Try some different brands. Mine used to unravel too then eventually the ball end would snap off.
it just sucks because my band is going on tour again and I REALLY dont want this to be a consistent problem! it sucks
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
katsock, can you give me some dimensions of your bridge? and a picture as well?

i will need the e to e spacing. if you aren't familiar with fixing bridge problems like this and such, then its better to get replacement parts.
if you want to fix the problem yourself the easiest way is to just buy new bridge saddles, which i can help with.

however, there is something to be said for taking your guitar to a professional.
I'm currently in the car going to a festival, so I Wont be able to post anything for a while :/I don't even have time to take it to a professional cuz I'm so busy.

I guess I'll just bring a bunch of extra strings

Anyone recommend an incredibly sturdy brand?
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
hey i still need help. these strings keep breaking! is there anyway i can replace the saddle? im willing to put like $100 into it if i have to. money is tight now
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Put a little piece of wire insulation on the string where it meets the back of the saddle. Its the Cesar Diaz/Stevie Ray Vaughan trick. Solves the broken string and avoids having to change the saddles.

You just put the string in through the saddle. Then feed a bit of rubber insulation over the string, all the way down to the saddle, just make it long enough so it covers everything, but doesn't cover the final contact place of the saddle/string.

Also for the ball ends unravelling, if you want to continue to use those strings, solder the wound part of the string.
Quote by beckyjc
I thought the blacktop had a hardtail strat kinda bridge?

Itd probbaly be these

http://www.graphtech.com/product-214-2/

Double check the string spacing though.

The guitar has a a bridge more like this one than anything else. The problem is I need to buy from guitar center :/. The 100$ is on a gift card

I also dont really know the spacing on the blacktop tele. reading it online some say its 2 1/16 but i think i saw a few saying 2 3/16
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Last edited by Katsock at Sep 11, 2011,
Quote by Wylde_Life
Put a little piece of wire insulation on the string where it meets the back of the saddle. Its the Cesar Diaz/Stevie Ray Vaughan trick. Solves the broken string and avoids having to change the saddles.

You just put the string in through the saddle. Then feed a bit of rubber insulation over the string, all the way down to the saddle, just make it long enough so it covers everything, but doesn't cover the final contact place of the saddle/string.

Also for the ball ends unravelling, if you want to continue to use those strings, solder the wound part of the string.

I heard about this, but I'm not a handyman at all so I have like no idea what or where to get this rubber insulation
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify