Hey guys. Wasn't too sure what forum this would fit into but i thought i'd risk getting trolled in here.

Anyway i'm looking to buy a vinyl record player, and i have 2 options. The first, buy an amp and hook it up to that, which would be a bit out of my price range at the moment. The second, buy a vinyl player with USB compatability and hook it up to my computers speakers.

What i want to know is, would hooking it up to the computer result in a loss of sound quality? It seems like compressing sound into USB format would have some sort of effect, i'm just after to what extent.

Cheers
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Move to Russia, play russian classical pieces, get sent to siberia by KGB to count trees for not working, burn records for warmth.
You're right, using one of those record-USB turntables does compress it and therefore loses some of the quality. Buying a turntable to listen to music in an analog format but putting it through a digital soundcard sadly defeats the point. Unfortunately the only option to truly enjoy the turntable is to buy an amp
Quote by scimitar_255
the only option to truly enjoy the turntable is to buy an amp

a BETTER amp.

Quote by Zoot Allures
If you were actually concerned about losing sound quality or not you'd stop playing vinyl at all since it's an inferior format to a CD.

I like analog sound over digital, tbh. But it's not significant to most, I suppose.
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jul 30, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
2.3/10

Your early work was much better.

Not trolling. It's a fact that as far as quality degrading and such, vinyl is worse.

As far as audio compression goes (As in less dynamic range) vinyl is much worse too, about 70db compared to something like 100 for CDs. It degrades with every play and there is more noise.

Some people like all that, which is fine, but this idea that vinyl is superior in terms of audio quality is total nonesense.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jul 30, 2011,
Quote by Zoot Allures
Not trolling. It's a fact that as far as quality degrading and such, vinyl is worse.

As far as audio compression goes (As in less dynamic range) vinyl is much worse too, about 70db compared to something like 100 for CDs. It degrades with every play and there is more noise.

Some people like all that, which is fine, but this idea that vinyl is superior in terms of audio quality is total nonesense.

I collect vinyl because I just like collecting it. Very few people still hold the idea that vinyl actually has better sound quality (although for some albums, vinyl is a better listen than digital, such as Spiderland,) plus I think it's fun to play them.

And I wasn't implying you were trolling, it's just that you went after a pretty lowhanging fruit.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I collect vinyl because I just like collecting it. Very few people still hold the idea that vinyl actually has better sound quality (although for some albums, vinyl is a better listen than digital, such as Spiderland,) plus I think it's fun to play them.

And I wasn't implying you were trolling, it's just that you went after a pretty lowhanging fruit.

o_O Dood, there's loads of articles and people (especially music tech people unfortunately -_- ) who seem convinced that vinyl is the best quality format going. I've heard the phrase 'the sound is right there man' or 'it's like it's all just there in front of you' or similar variations used far too many times.
Quote by Zoot Allures
o_O Dood, there's loads of articles and people (especially music tech people unfortunately -_- ) who seem convinced that vinyl is the best quality format going. I've heard the phrase 'the sound is right there man' or 'it's like it's all just there in front of you' or similar variations used far too many times.

Yea I've seen all that hoopla. Personally I prefer to have tracks in a .wav or a flac. But sometimes I just love that grainy vinyl tone.
Quote by Zoot Allures

People who feel compeled enough to write about something on the internet =/= Majority
CD's do seem to have a reputation as being more accurate in reproducing the original recording. But i've always been drawn to vinyl records, there's just something about them. Not to mention the amount of records of parents have lying around, it would be a shame not to play them.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.