The quest goes on, I recently moved from Washington DC to Los Angeles after a month long roadtrip across the USA, which was wonderful by the way. In DC I visited a music store called Chuck Levins in Maryland, and found two PRS guitars I liked, a custom 22 limited edition, which had a single f-hole (half semi-hollow), and a custom 24 with 57/08 pickups, like the custom 22.

I liked certain qualities of each guitar, but neither was perfect, but they were both close. I decided to wait to move to LA to check out music stores, to see if I could find anything better.

Today I went to West LA Music, and tried out a custom 22, and a PRS DGT, which is similar to a McCarty, except with different pickups, a trem, another volume knob, treble bleed caps, and a few other things I think. I really enjoyed playing the DGT through there JCM800.

Heres a pic, not of the guitar I tried, but what a DGT looks like (same color I tried though!)

http://www.pbase.com/shadco/image/97008310.jpg

I've been always weary getting an amp or guitar that was a signature model, because I want a guitar that is my own, not with someones name on it. The DGT has well, DGT on the truss rod cover, but thats all. Maybe I should get over my avoidance for something thats trivial.

Anyway, I really want to find a Custom 24 I really love, since for some reason I'm drawn to 24s more than 22s, perhaps because of the standard neck profile, which I love.

Can anyone give me tips on a better way to approach buying my "perfect" guitar? Also, does anyone know some good PRS dealers that would have 24s and 22s in the greater LA area? Thanks
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by RocknRory

Can anyone give me tips on a better way to approach buying my "perfect" guitar?

it really sounds like you are doing it right.

try as many as possible and sooner or later one is going to pick you.

the DGT is more of a model than just a sig guitar imo. it has features that aren't found on other prs guitars. and the trc can be changed to a blank, or even one with your name on it.

but that said, good luck in the search. the hollywood GC is pretty ginormous, check there and a local sam ash if possible.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Just gotta keep looking, and trying everything you can get your hands on. You'll find it eventually, but these things can take time. You can walk into a store and fall in love, or you can search for 20 years in vain.

Also, welcome to SoCal I guarantee you'll hate it here within a month.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 30, 2011,
nothing wrong with signature guitars... some players just know what makes a good guitar...

Anyway when it comes to having peoples names on your guitar, well, Paul Reed Smith, Gibson and Fender all sound like names to me...
---
Last edited by Robfreitag at Jul 30, 2011,
Custom shop?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by RocknRory
give me tips on a better way to approach buying my "perfect" guitar?

Quote by OliOsbourne
Custom shop?

Yup
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Offworld92

Also, welcome to SoCal I guarantee you'll hate it here within a month.

SERIOUSLY THIS. i have wasted 7 years of my life here and i cant take another moment.

back on track.
like everyone else said keep on keeping on. visit as many stores as u can.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
If you get a 22 Dragon II p/u's are what you want, if you go 24 you want the HFS/VB set. I love PRS guitars, but some of there p/u's leave a little to be desired like the 57/08. Not a bad p/u, but the HFS and DragonII are much better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by iheartgun
SERIOUSLY THIS. i have wasted 7 years of my life here and i cant take another moment.

back on track.
like everyone else said keep on keeping on. visit as many stores as u can.

whats with people complaining about where they live everywhere I live? Hawaii, Washington DC, and now southern cali?

Quote by Robbgnarly
If you get a 22 Dragon II p/u's are what you want, if you go 24 you want the HFS/VB set. I love PRS guitars, but some of there p/u's leave a little to be desired like the 57/08. Not a bad p/u, but the HFS and DragonII are much better.

Comparing pickups, I felt the 57/08 just destroyed the HFS in terms of clarity and power, strange enough. Playing through a Diezel VH4, even playing with heavy distortion sounded better. I would probably swap the PRS pickups out for some bare knuckles if I wasn't happy with the stock pups after a few months.

Quote by gregs1020
it really sounds like you are doing it right.

try as many as possible and sooner or later one is going to pick you.

the DGT is more of a model than just a sig guitar imo. it has features that aren't found on other prs guitars. and the trc can be changed to a blank, or even one with your name on it.

but that said, good luck in the search. the hollywood GC is pretty ginormous, check there and a local sam ash if possible.

good luck.

Thanks Greg, you've always been helpful in my posts! I didn't know you could get a trc with your name on it, thats kind of cool. Anyway, the DGT only says DGT on it, and not very big, so I don't think I would mind it. I would love to compare it to the neck of a Custom 24.

I'll check out the hollywood GC and the nearby sam ash (don't remember them carrying PRS's though), I haven't been to those two places since I was visiting last year.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
if a guitar speaks to you then that is what counts. rumour has it a few guys played a guitar made for some jazz guy, i think his name was Les Paul and seemed to be able to make it their own. oh and Pete Townsend plays Eric Clapton sig strats and doesn't seem to mind even though he is a guitar legend in his own right.
Does anyone know what the difference between at Patterned Thin and Regular PRS neck is? I loved regular, but theres a place thats a bit of a drive and has nice looking Custom 24s, but Im not sure if I'd like the patterned thin.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Be aware that the DGT has it's own neck profile. I've only ever played the Wide Fat and the Pattern Regular - which in my hands felt very close. I personally don't care for thin necks.

Check out the DGT review and sound examples here: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/electric/6-string-solid-body/david-grissom-dgt-155915/review/2

You can get just about any sound you want out of it.

More info here: http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84362
Quote by thehikingdude
I've only ever played the Wide Fat and the Pattern Regular - which in my hands felt very close.

same here, i can't really tell the difference.

also, i have a guitar with a wide fat, and an older custom 24 with the wide thin. neither bothers me really. i do notice the difference, but it's not a big deal to me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 5, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
same here, i can't really tell the difference.

also, i have a guitar with a wide fat, and an older custom 24 with the wide thin. neither bothers me really. i do notice the difference, but it's not a big deal to me.

Yeah I agree with you guys, the difference isn't a big deal. I drove 70 miles east of LA to Riverside to a cool music store called Wild West Guitars. They carry a good amount of PRS guitars and the place has a professional-studio like vibe. I tried a bunch of PRS Custom 24s, 22s, and McCartys, and they all sounded awesome. I think I liked this store more because the guy who helped me out was very friendly and let me have the PRS room all to myself for 3 hours while cranking the amp to a decent volume.

I found the perfect guitar, for me that is

It's a custom 24, 2011 model, with a Patterned Thin neck profile, and 59/09 pickups.

First of all, the neck profile feels amazing. I play a lot of chords with my thumb, like hendrix and frusciante, so the thin profile allows me to do it easily, like with my strat. Second, the 5-way pickup switching thats new to the 2011 models is fantastic. I'm very happy with the humbucker tones, and the single coils. Best of all, the volume knob works beautifully. Even the slightest of a turn and it's noticeable. I can turn the gain almost to max and still clean it up, something that I haven't found so much with other guitars.

I'll do a full review when I buy it in a few weeks, and maybe do some sound clips when I get my desktop computer set up again.

Here's a link to see it:

http://wildwestguitars.com/prs/pages/Cu24_Sunburst_176286.html
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Keep on lookin and be patient and you'll find the one for you. One thing about PRS's is that they have a number of variables (wide thin or fat neck profile, trem or fixed bridge, 22 or 24 frets, bird or moon inlays, vintage or phase tuners, 3 way toggle or 5 way blade, etc) but I've seen ones with almost any combination of these variables that I can think of.

A new PRS is expensive which is why I only buy used. I was very patient and was able to find one in my price range that had the features I was looking for. But, if you're willing to buy new then I believe you can speak with a representative from either a local dealer or online (such as Sweetwater who has a partnership with PRS) to see if they can help you get one with what you're looking for.

Custom shop would be nice too but I understand not all of us have 10K+ to fork over on a single guitar.
lol at the thread read fail.

Quote by RocknRory
Yeah I agree with you guys, the difference isn't a big deal. I drove 70 miles east of LA to Riverside to a cool music store called Wild West Guitars. They carry a good amount of PRS guitars and the place has a professional-studio like vibe. I tried a bunch of PRS Custom 24s, 22s, and McCartys, and they all sounded awesome. I think I liked this store more because the guy who helped me out was very friendly and let me have the PRS room all to myself for 3 hours while cranking the amp to a decent volume.

I found the perfect guitar, for me that is

It's a custom 24, 2011 model, with a Patterned Thin neck profile, and 59/09 pickups.

First of all, the neck profile feels amazing. I play a lot of chords with my thumb, like hendrix and frusciante, so the thin profile allows me to do it easily, like with my strat. Second, the 5-way pickup switching thats new to the 2011 models is fantastic. I'm very happy with the humbucker tones, and the single coils. Best of all, the volume knob works beautifully. Even the slightest of a turn and it's noticeable. I can turn the gain almost to max and still clean it up, something that I haven't found so much with other guitars.

I'll do a full review when I buy it in a few weeks, and maybe do some sound clips when I get my desktop computer set up again.

Here's a link to see it:

http://wildwestguitars.com/prs/pages/Cu24_Sunburst_176286.html

that's awesome. beautiful amber black finish!

i do the same thing with my thumb.

big hands ftw! looking forward to the NGD thread.
That's a real beauty!!! Put some money down on it so it doesn't get sold out from under you. My 57/08 Limited is from Wild West. Great dealer.