Poll: What did you associate most with intelligence?
Poll Options
View poll results: What did you associate most with intelligence?
Memory
23 23%
Wisdom
57 58%
genghisgandhi
18 18%
Voters: 98.
Page 1 of 2
Quote by Well.......
I think intelligence can only be measured in the number of threads you make.

>.>

I came her to post something very similar to that, but definitely not as clever.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
I tend to believe intelligence is mix of both. For instance, a dude can learn a ton of chemistry. However, if the dude doesn't know how to use it in a lab setting, then he just wasted hours and days learning something that he never learned how to apply.* So, he must have the memory skills to learn and the wisdom to apply.

*I know it's a very simplistic example, but the basic concept is presented.

Btw, I chose memory on the poll. There's no both option...
Memory because I've never met a really wise person who didn't have a substantial body of knowledge or experience from which to draw.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
i don't think intelligence can REALLY be messured.everyone excels at certain things and ways of thinking.is the human who possesses more "common knowledge" smarter than the human who excels at something that allows him to live a very comfotable life?
I wish I could be "street smart", but that seems like something that you just have to be born like. Being book smart, in my opinion, is useless because anybody can be book smart as long as you know how to read, and memorising things doesn't actually do shit.

/generic, self-absorbed slipknot5678 complaining.

That being said, I'm a pussy so I think both are important, but wisdom is something much better to have.
Quote by genghisgandhi
This ain't no pussyass Mapcap poll with a "both" option. Pick a side like a real man.
I did, technically. But honestly, as my above post said, I think it is both. What good is memory, if you never use what you remember? And how you use something if you lack the wisdom to use it properly? Conversely, what good is wisdom, if you're always forgetting things. Without a healthy does of both qualities, I tend to believe you end with the absent-minded professor "syndrome". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absent-minded_professor)
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 30, 2011,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I did, technically. But honestly, as my above post said, I think it is both. What good is memory, if you never use what you remember? And how you use something if you lack the wisdom to use it properly?

Read the actual poll question. genghisgandhi isn't really a joke option.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Read the actual poll question. genghisgandhi isn't really a joke option.
Well, unless you're being a narcissist, I really don't get that option.

Edit: I'm sure you're making an actual point; it just isn't obvious to me. It's late. I'm tired. You might have to actually say what you mean.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 30, 2011,
Posting obvious skeptical opinions and facts from Cracked.com articles.

I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by genghisgandhi
How do you interpret it? With a western view, where it is mostly associated with memory, or an eastern view, where it is mostly associated with wisdom.

Got it the wrong way round bruh
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Cianyx
Got it the wrong way round bruh

no he doesn't
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Wisdom: Experience
Knowledge: Book-smarts
Intelligence: Memory/ability to learn
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I would say cognitive ability. The ability to solve problems, think things through, etc I don't know which choice that would be.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by breadstick
Wisdom: Experience
Knowledge: Book-smarts
Intelligence: Memory/ability to learn

I agree with this.
Personally I think of the term intelligence being best represented as a theory-cluster term. It takes on various different, and equally valid, meanings depending on the situation it's in (the intelligence of a Stanford-Binet test is quite something else from the intelligence of common sense psychology).

I think trying to come up with one appropriate definition for intelligence is pretty futile at least whilst cognitive psychology is at the relatively early stage it is today.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
the computing power of your brain
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Intelligence is being able to recognize when you're being an idiot.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Sort of related -- I think the term 'street-smart' is ridiculous. It's only ever used by dumb people to feign intelligence or marginalize actual intelligence. It's hard to explain, but generally 'book-smart' is actually being smart, whereas 'street-smart' is "common sense". And evidence points to common sense not actually existing.
Quote by due 07
Sort of related -- I think the term 'street-smart' is ridiculous. It's only ever used by dumb people to feign intelligence or marginalize actual intelligence. It's hard to explain, but generally 'book-smart' is actually being smart, whereas 'street-smart' is "common sense". And evidence points to common sense not actually existing.

This too, so much
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
The capacity to learn. Seems simple enough to me.

Quote by genghisgandhi
This ain't no pussyass Mapcap poll with a "both" option. Pick a side like a real man.

Huh
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Intelligence is an interesting subject. We are all bundles of nerves. Our "intelligence" varies slightly... But not in any significant way. I will not lower myself to your poll, for it is rather non-germane.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Neither. I associate it with the potential to gain wisdom or to rationalize.

True.
...marmalade is my jam.
Quote by genghisgandhi
How do you interpret it? With a western view, where it is mostly associated with memory, or an eastern view, where it is mostly associated with wisdom.

Basically book smart vs street smart.

Those are very reductionist views of varying perceptions of intelligence in different cultures. I.e. pretty unsound.
Quote by due 07

This depends very much on what people intend by 'street smarts' but it could easily refer to either social or emotional intelligence. Both serious challenges to the idea of a single, generalised intelligence.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
from the kids i went to school with at my first high school, it was based on grades and whether or not you looked and acted like them. thus, i was considered a moron.

since then, a lot of them have been arrested for doing seemingly stupid things, or managed to graduate so they could hang outside of WaWa with their pickup trucks while they listen to tobey keith and drink amp
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Page 1 of 2