Okay so im in an alt rock band and i have a pair of mackey sr 1530's and i was looking at buying my friends subs. Would it would it be better to make us sound more full? Or would subs mud up the sound too much? thanks
Check your current speakers to see if they have an option to switch from full range to high pass... you don't want any bass coming out of a PA if you've got dedicated subs... if not you can add an EQ unit before to get the same effect. The frequency the high pass starts at varies, but it's usually just below the low mids, so around 60hz...
alright thanks. i have a graphic eq im running through it. do you think itd be better to get subs or use the eq for the effect?
I'd get the subs. Usually the muddy sound comes from the low mids and not the bass, so subs tend to help the sound. They can handle the kick drum and the bass guitar to some extent and free up the other speakers for the mids and highs...
Quote by ethan_hanus
Get both, it sucks trying to run one, because then you have to run it up center, in the middle of the stage, it's nice to have two for a stereo field.

you dont need 2 but it would be better you will need to buy a crossover to plug them into so that the correct frequencs get sent to the right speaker/sub
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by hans the lefty
you dont need 2 but it would be better you will need to buy a crossover to plug them into so that the correct frequencs get sent to the right speaker/sub

Meh, the only real use I've found for a crossover is getting rid of that annoying buzz that you get if you happen to run your speaker power lines next to the snake, otherwise the board should send the correct frequencies, sub outs are specifically sub outs.
there are a few misleading comments in here. the main idea of subs is to split the power between the mains and the subs. This increases the power handling of the mains and cleans up the sound as they don't have to move as much when the bass is diverted away from them. The crossover is the bit that does the sharing out of the power. Normally this will be at about 150Hz leaving the subs to cope with the bottom two and a bit octaves. Leaving the crossover at 60 Hz would leave almost nothing for the subs to do, less than an octave to cope with.

If your mixer has a sub out then it has a crossover though if it doesn't also cut the bass going to the mains then you are only getting half the benefit of the subs. If the subs don't have a crossover built in (most do) then you will need an active crossover and another PA amp unless they are active subs (with built in amps). This will also compensate for any volume differences between subs and mains.

You don't strictly need two subs as bass is unidirectional and we can't really get any stereo information from the subs. I think it looks better to have two stacks and you will get more volume from two speakers.