I got the 6505+ Combo amp after playing for a bit at the store. I play anything from The Offspring to Death (Chuck Rules!), mostly Thrash metal. After playing it at the store for a bit I decided it was the amp for me it could pull off what I needed. After getting it home its had a completely different personality. Like a hooker, After I paid for it it wouldn't give me anything for free. It sounds muddy when I push the gain past idk 11 O clock. Palm Muted E's now sound like complete s**t. Should I just take it back and go for a Marshall or something else? Im not running any pedals through it besides my 535Q Crybaby and the guitar im running through its a JS32T Rhoads w/ Licenced Floyd Rose.
Last edited by Abadinator at Jul 31, 2011,
could be a bad tube, could be that you aren't cranking it enough. The thing is made to handle palm mutes and gain way past 11 o'clock. I would take it back and have them give you a different one to be honest.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
What guitar did you use in the store? Same one as the one you're using at home?
WTLTL 2011
How loud do you have it turned up?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yes when I went to Guitar Center today I took my guitar because I didn't want to deal with all of the floor guitars. At the guitar Center in Seattle, all the guitars are either out of tune or tuned into some some stupid Drop B tunning. It really is like finding a needle in a hay stack finding a guitar to plug in with. Now im done ranting. As for how loud I have it, I have it just past 10' Oclock. I am playing it at home so I cant have it to loud. At the store I could crank the gain and the palm mutes were just Bone Crunching I mean I was very impressed at the store. Somehow though from the drive from Guitar Center home something went horribly wrong. This is my first tube amp so the extent of my knowledge with tube care ends with seeing if the light up.......
It is probably the fact that those amps must be pretty loud to sound good. So you may not want it if you cant turn it up too loud.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I got Band practice tomorrow so Ill take it and see how it does. Still I had the volume lower at the store than I've had it at home.
Can always pull the two middle power tubes. I think at least :p
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
First of all: you are having the gain WAY too high.
Everything over 5 or 6 is overkill on that amp.
The other thing is that you can't turn it up as loud in the store.
But mostly you should keep the gain at about half or a bit less and it will sound good.
You probably need to crank it to a higher volume, or it could be a defective tube, probably got out of its socket or went bad during the drive back home.

Take it to a techie and see if anything is wrong imo.

Also, try cranking it past 3 or 4, well its a combo you should even try going past 5 or 6, I personally use mine at 7 with an attenuator and feel the lovely tube breakup.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
i'll give you my eq settings, i based it around thick drop b palm mutes so it should be helpful to you probably. if it still sounds bad its gotta be a tube.
presence 7
resonance 8
post 2
high 6
mid between 5 and 6
low between 8
pre 6
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
@JesusCrisp
If you had fully read my posts you would know I've had the Gain at 10 oclock-ish.

And as far as volume goes, like I said earlier I was able to get a awesome sound in GC when I had it even lower than what I had it at home. Since I got it home it just sounds muddy with the gain past 10 o'clock, reguardless of the volume.
Quote by beckyjc
What is the room like youve got the amp in?

Room acoustics can make all the difference.

hes right, something as simple as the room can make a pretty big change in sound.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
She ^

Yeah stuff like laminate flooring, lots of empty space, tall ceilings can make an amp sound pretty bad. Esp for high gain.

Try some rugs and soft furniture in the room.
Take it back and try it. Either you confirm the above or it's just as bad and there's an actual problem with the amp.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Try some rugs and soft furniture in the room.

Cushions!!! That's what you need! Lots of cushions on the sofas so you need to spend a half hour removing them just to sit down!!!

UG so awesome we can even help interior design!!!

But it is a very true statement! A fuller room will sound completely different to an empty room. Example: Huge floor space at store means you can open the amp a lot more. Even try angling the amp differently or raising it up, anything.

Or it may be a tube as others have said
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

I'm pretty sure he got the 112 combo.

Not sure what the problem is either - you shouldn't be having any issues.

Just keep messing with the dials and positioning.

Did you buy the floor model or a new one in a box?

There have been some duds of this amp.

I know the 6505+112 gets rec'd a lot but I think it is a fine amp for the price.
Me personally I hate the 112 but alot of people like it, so Id do what a few others said take it back and try it again at the store, if it is a tube/tubes make gc replace them especially if it was a floor model!!

You can also try sitting the amp higher get it up off the floor, or tilt it upwards at least.

If all fails take it back and buy a used 5150/6505 2x12 worlds better imo

Goodluck
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

It only has 2 power tubes fail
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
^ In his defense there was no mention of which combo it was in the OP.

The only reason I know is because I helped him with his 'What Amp' thread earlier this week.

Pulling tubes wouldn't really be a solution anyway.

The 212 combo sounds great but it is a beast to carry around. A head/212 cab would be the way to go if funds were not the issue.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ In his defense there was no mention of which combo it was in the OP.

The only reason I know is because I helped him with his 'What Amp' thread earlier this week.

Pulling tubes wouldn't really be a solution anyway.

The 212 combo sounds great but it is a beast to carry around. A head/212 cab would be the way to go if funds were not the issue.

There isnt a 6505+ 2x12?? as far asI know or is there?

The 112 is a beast itself to carry also

The 112 weighs about 62 pounds
The 212 is around 85
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jul 30, 2011,
I would go for the 2x12, sure its heavy but it's still only one trip. I could carry that 2x12 and my guitar in one go, assuming there's no tricky navigation involved.

Then again, I am also Conan the Barbarian.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Good point. There is not. And I'm just saying the 212 is not an easy amp to pick up and move around.

I know there pretty shitty to carry around
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I was just playing with the 6505+ combo and on carpet or tile floors, stock, sounded very nice.

Start off with everything at 12 o'clock, then adjust to taste to compensate for your room's differences from the GC space.
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is probably the fact that those amps must be pretty loud to sound good. So you may not want it if you cant turn it up too loud.

Not really. The 5150 family sounds pretty good at low volumes - Though below 1 is going to sound like ass on pretty much any amp

Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Then there would be no power tubes

Quote by Goodtimes666
i'll give you my eq settings, i based it around thick drop b palm mutes so it should be helpful to you probably. if it still sounds bad its gotta be a tube.
presence 7
resonance 8
post 2
high 6
mid between 5 and 6
low between 8
pre 6

Turn down the Resonance and Bass.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Room I play in isn't crouded but it isn't spacious either. I got wood flooring so that could maybe effect the sound. Im about to head off to band practice and see how it does
Elevation makes a huge difference. ^

Good luck and let us know.
Man Im not even going to begin to explain how band practice went today. In short I watched the band play today. Anyway, the rhythym guitarist has me sold on a Vypyr now so going to go return this tomorrow and get a 120 watt combo.
I didn't know you had the combo; meany!

Buy one of my V30s.
Quote by slipknot_420
Me personally I hate the 112 but alot of people like it, so Id do what a few others said take it back and try it again at the store, if it is a tube/tubes make gc replace them especially if it was a floor model!!

You can also try sitting the amp higher get it up off the floor, or tilt it upwards at least.

If all fails take it back and buy a used 5150/6505 2x12 worlds better imo

Goodluck

I agree with this. The 2x12 is a BEAST. I really dislike the new 112 combo. Of course, they are different amps, but still...

I agree that the Vypyr Tube is simply amazing. Far better than the 6505+ 112 anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X