Hey guys,
I was wondering if you could give your advice on a question I recently encountered.
Let's assume I play all genres of music and I need a versatille amp. Let's also assume that I already have a pedalboard and some effects.

Is it best to buy an amp that is awesome on clean tone and then use the effects to create distortion and others? Or is it best to find an amp that overall good, but not the best in both clean and distortion?

I don't know if I made myself clear, but if you have any doubts, ask me!

Thanks a lot for the help,

D.
That really depends on how happy you are with your distortion pedals. I prefer the natural sound of a good amp over pedals any day, but that is total personal prefrence.

What kind of amp are you contemplating?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Depends on the pedals and the amp.

If your running a buddha amp and have a boss DS1 then id reccomend setting fire to the DS1.

If your running a little valve crate amp and want some high gain tones I'd reccomend a good distortion box.
Depends on how good your pedals really are and what sounds are actually most important to you. There's some people who play a bit of everything who MUST have the cleans of a 1965 Fender Twin, while there's others who also play a bit of everything who MUST have the overdrive of a Soldano SLO100. You ain't getting both out of the same amp. Now the question is whether you can live with a good approximation, or if you're too picky for that. (Nothing wrong with being picky btw. It just tends to be expensive.)
How good an approximation you can get depends on how much cash you can spend.
Quote by Robbgnarly
That really depends on how happy you are with your distortion pedals. I prefer the natural sound of a good amp over pedals any day, but that is total personal prefrence.

What kind of amp are you contemplating?

I now have a Bugera 6262 head + a marshall 1960 2x12 cab. But I realised that I don't need halfstacks and probably a combo would suit my needs. I've been looking into some models:
- Fender Hot Rod Deville III 2x12
- Marshall Vintage Modern 2x12
- Marshall JvM 205c 2x12
- Blackstar HT 60 Stage 2x12
- Bogner Alchemist 2x12

Those are all +/- within my price range. What would you recommend? If not these, what others?
Quote by TheQuailman
Depends on how good your pedals really are and what sounds are actually most important to you. There's some people who play a bit of everything who MUST have the cleans of a 1965 Fender Twin, while there's others who also play a bit of everything who MUST have the overdrive of a Soldano SLO100. You ain't getting both out of the same amp. Now the question is whether you can live with a good approximation, or if you're too picky for that. (Nothing wrong with being picky btw. It just tends to be expensive.)
How good an approximation you can get depends on how much cash you can spend.

I currently have a Line6 XTPOD live + a Morley Tremonti Wah. I like the cleans, as you said, of a 1965 fender twin, but I also like the overdrive of a Soldano SLO100! I must be one of does guys that need both! Yeah, I tend to be very picky, but it's for an amp that will not be replaced in the next decade, I hope!
Your curent setup is going to be easier to move than a 2x12 combo. Is your cab a 4x12 1960 or the 1936 2x12?

The clean on the 6260's are soposed to be pretty diecent.
I have a 333 head, and I think it has really good cleans for a hi-gain amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Your curent setup is going to be easier to move than a 2x12 combo. Is your cab a 4x12 1960 or the 1936 2x12?

The clean on the 6260's are soposed to be pretty diecent.
I have a 333 head, and I think it has really good cleans for a hi-gain amp.

It's the 1936 2x12, I'm sorry for the mistake! The problem is that it occupies a lot of room, and a combo would be significantly smaller!
only by mere inches, nothing major at all.

EDIT: you might want to look at a 1x12 combo if you really need to save space, the size diff in a 2x12 cab & head is not much larger than a 2x12 combo.
The 1936 is a large 2x12, have you thought of geting a more compact 2x12 cab? it would be cheaper.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 30, 2011,