Have been playing a (Chinese?) Peavy EXP Tele-style for several months now, I changed strings to a set of Elixir Nanoweb .010-.046's and found that they *might* be a bit light! I recently changed them out to a set of EB coated Power Slinkys, running from .011 to .048. While just as responsive as the Nano, they seem also to be too light.

The problem appears to be the frets...look like jumbos, as the seem pretty wide AND are quite high!. With the two sets of strings listed, once the string is depressed to *just* ring true, there is still quite a bit of room below to the fretboard. If depressed hard enough to contact the fretboard, the note changes upwards perhaps a 1/4 tone (?)

While this may be a benefit in playability and bending, and is no problem when lightly fingering; hammering on chords or running individual notes using moderate + pressure, the off-key sound is exasperating.

The quest is to find a stiff enough string that will obviate most of this issue while still retaining decent playability. Will heavier gauge strings of the same type/mfgr do; or will I need to go to a different composition and relinquish the silkiness?? 12's? 13's? Bronze? Was told heavy "jazz" strings would do it.

Your opinions invited,
D-10
The only real solution is have your frets recrowned buy a professional, or total refret with a smaller fret wire
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That was one of my thought Robb. Prolly have to have it re-fretted, as once taken down to height, they would be even wider! Of course, then, I'd be able to intonate by side-filing the fret!

Strings are the easiest/cheapest trial solution. For less than $10, I can see what happens. If that doesn't get it, I always have the option of going into the cheese-slicer or garrote biz
basically you've got an "faux-scalloped" effect? Tbh I'd just get used to paying it without pushing the strings down too hard... but then again, I like scalloped frets
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I like heavy strings. everything about them, the warm tone, the slow attack, the thick distortion. They might be what you need but a lot of people hate them. I play 12's on most of my electrics.

They are hard to bend but they are also hard to make off- pitch but squeezing too hard.

I don't want to be chasing the wrong problem. make sure your fretboard is flat by holding the butt of your guitar, at the rear strap lock, to your eye, sighting past the bridge and down the neck to the nut. all the frets should appear level. if the look like they are going up hill, you have a bow and you need to adjust your truss rod which is a whole other monster.
Quote by GABarrie
basically you've got an "faux-scalloped" effect? Tbh I'd just get used to paying it without pushing the strings down too hard... but then again, I like scalloped frets

+1