Got this amp at guitar center a few days ago with my ec-1000. It cost about $230 with a two year pro warranty. I've been playing for about five years now and before the Vyper the only amp I've had was the tiny POS I started with. So I needed an upgrade fast. At least for now. Im trying to start/join a band, is this amp going to cut it? Or should I wait until I can afford a half stack before I even try auditioning?
Quote by robertsanidiot
Got this amp at guitar center a few days ago with my ec-1000. It cost about $230 with a two year pro warranty. I've been playing for about five years now and before the Vyper the only amp I've had was the tiny POS I started with. So I needed an upgrade fast. At least for now. Im trying to start/join a band, is this amp going to cut it? Or should I wait until I can afford a half stack before I even try auditioning?

Honestly, the number of people that NEED a half-stack can be counted on the fingers of one foot...

You're fine, go for it.
So the amp was worth it? It's decent? That's my biggest concern. I passed up a line6 of the spider sort for this. Mostly because I heard some bad things about them on here. I don't wanna feel like I messed up too bad with buying this amp.
its not a bad amp its just its generally a beginner amp, someone with five years experience would usually have a decent tube amp or someting unless they have a good reason not to have one
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
No tengo denero buddy.
Had to work my ass off just for the guitar and the filler amp. I'm replacing it with a 6505+ as soon as I can get the cash. Just needed to be sure this one can do the dirty deed until then.
Quote by robertsanidiot
So the amp was worth it? It's decent? That's my biggest concern. I passed up a line6 of the spider sort for this. Mostly because I heard some bad things about them on here. I don't wanna feel like I messed up too bad with buying this amp.

It's considered by most to be superior to the Spider, but you're worrying about the wrong things.

If you can play, nobody is going to worry too much about your gear.

Remember, anyone with money can buy gear.
I have the Vypyr 15, and these amps are loud, and I mean LOUD!!!!! I rarely turn my amp up past 2.
I think that most people don't realize the Vypyr has analog circuitry, whereas the spider has digital. I would grab the Vypyr and use it as a practice amp until you can grab your 6505.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Arby911
Remember, anyone with money can buy gear.

and anyone who can play, need money xD

It's a good starter amp

But i wouldn't get a 6505+ combo instead of it

I didn't like the combo as didn't like the 6505 head..
It's way tooooo noicey IMO....

But it's your choice

The vypyr 30 is a great amp, but you need to mic it to get heard on gigs ( i think )

I don't know how loud it is compared to a cube 30, but when i saw a concert at school of the Cube 30 and a Crate WaveFlex 65W, the Cube was maxed while the Crate was like 3-4

it was outside for +-75 people

and the people in the back didn't even hear the amp very well...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Thats very reassuring. I don't know as much as I should about amps, and I know less about modulating amps, and I know even less about cheaper mod amps, but I'm happy to know that at least I got my money's worth.

Thanks for the help.

Now if anyone has suggestions on an upgrade my ears are open.
I play around the groove metal to metalcore area.
I don't need much gain for metalcore IMO

I really preferred a orange TH-30 than a 6505 head..

but who am i?
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
and anyone who can play, need money xD

It's a good starter amp

But i wouldn't get a 6505+ combo instead of it

I didn't like the combo as didn't like the 6505 head..
It's way tooooo noicey IMO....

But it's your choice

The vypyr 30 is a great amp, but you need to mic it to get heard on gigs ( i think )

I don't know how loud it is compared to a cube 30, but when i saw a concert at school of the Cube 30 and a Crate WaveFlex 65W, the Cube was maxed while the Crate was like 3-4

it was outside for +-75 people

and the people in the back didn't even hear the amp very well...

When I replace it, I'm more than likely going to pick up a half stack. The 6505+ COMBO wasn't really in my mind.

And it really is a pretty loud amp. I've played with a drummer and another guitarist who was using a crate half stack and the drummer said my amp was louder than the HS. But either way, the venue around town mics all the amps no matter what... I think.
Quote by robertsanidiot
When I replace it, I'm more than likely going to pick up a half stack. The 6505+ COMBO wasn't really in my mind.

And it really is a pretty loud amp. I've played with a drummer and another guitarist who was using a crate half stack and the drummer said my amp was louder than the HS. But either way, the venue around town mics all the amps no matter what... I think.

a halfstack isn't really louder than a combo amp

EG: a 10W SS halfstack is REALLY less loud than a 120W tube combo...

and i wouldn't get a halfstack

I should get a orange 212 CB v30's and a 5150 head...

a 6505+ is meh..

I kinda liked it micced, but somehow when i play it, it sucks ballz

good luck!!
Maybe get a AXEfx? it's kinda the same price ( at least here ) and it's much better ( listened to line out clipz, but really awsome )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
I don't need much gain for metalcore IMO

I really preferred a orange TH-30 than a 6505 head..

but who am i?

Usually when I come on here all I hear are people swearing to the rep of the 6505. It's why I even considered it. It's odd to actually see some people challenging it for a change.
Quote by robertsanidiot
Usually when I come on here all I hear are people swearing to the rep of the 6505. It's why I even considered it. It's odd to actually see some people challenging it for a change.

I kinda was a fanboi like that too, but then i tested it and really HATED!! the distortion..

the best advice i can give is: go to a big music store ( like GC in america ) and test several amps, including some mesa's, orange, vox ( i am serious, the Night Train 50W is awsome IMO ), ENGL, and of course the peavey

I thought the 5150 and 6505 were basicly the same

they are kinda the same, but in clips at EXACT the same settings, guitars, cables etc. the 5150 was a littlebit more aggressive and less noicey IMO
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Jul 30, 2011,
The Vyper is a mod amp with the 6505 sound as an option, but to be honest, I rarely ever use it. I go with the k-stein instead.

I just assumed that when the tubes were lost some of the quality was lost as well.
Quote by robertsanidiot
The Vyper is a mod amp with the 6505 sound as an option, but to be honest, I rarely ever use it. I go with the k-stein instead.

I just assumed that when the tubes were lost some of the quality was lost as well.

if you almost always use the k-stein setting, i would try also a Krank Krankenstein ( that's basicly the amp that you models )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
I think I'm definitely going to look into the kramkenstein. I considered it a while back but kind of forgot about it.