Hey guys I've been looking to upgrade to an all tube amp for the more natural and amazing distortion sound. My price range is somewhere between 500-1000 dollars, hopefully more towards the lower end. For sound I mostly play hard rock and metal, but if the amp can do some mellower stuff like blues or jazz that'd be a plus!!! Some bands and people I really try to play like or at least take some influence from are Tool, Dream Theater, Paul Gilbert, Van Halen, August Burns Red, Metallica, Led Zepellin and Trivium. I want an amp that can get really heavy distortion at times but I want it to be able to clean up as well and just get a good crunch.
I do use pedals. Right now I have a crybaby wah, boss ds-1 distortion and an mt-2 metal zone. If I need to get an overdrive pedal instead for the amp thats fine. I'm open to suggestions for that.
The main amp brands that I have been looking at are Krank, Laney, Blackstar and Randall. Specifically the Krank Rev Jr Standard Full Stack, Laney LH50 50-Watt Guitar Amplifier Head, Blackstar Venue Series HT Studio 20H 20W Tube Guitar Amp and the Randall RT100 100 Watt Amp Head.
Right now I am leaning more towards the Krank amp as it also comes with cabs and I've heard good things about Krank but that may change. Some things I'd like to know is if these amps would do good with pedals or not. How good their natural distortion is. Range of sound. I don't need it to be extremely loud either. I've heard that the twenty watt heads would be enough for most gigs with a P.A. system so if that could be confirmed it would be appreciated. Oh and I live in the U.S.

Thanks Guys!!!!!

-Calvin
I'm just gonna address the queries with regards to the Krank Rev Jr.

Quote by MetalFriend
Right now I am leaning more towards the Krank amp as it also comes with cabs and I've heard good things about Krank but that may change. Some things I'd like to know is if these amps would do good with pedals or not.

Yup, the Rev Jrs handles pedals (in the FX loop and in front) like a champ. In fact there's also an FX line variable boost to push your pedals in the FX loop if they end up attenuating your volume.

Quote by MetalFriend
How good their natural distortion is. Range of sound.

The Rev Jr is lower gain compared to the Rev Jr Pro. In effect the Rev Jr has one less gain stage than the pro. Overall, I'd say that you get get Airborne / AC/DC levels of gain that sound good on the Rev Jr, but it'll only barely cut it for metal.

For rock AND metal, I'd recommend you get the Pro as its gain capabilities are far better than the Rev Jr.

You can boost the Rev Jr, but why boost when you have one amp that is naturally capable of metal to begin with.

Quote by MetalFriend
I don't need it to be extremely loud either. I've heard that the twenty watt heads would be enough for most gigs with a P.A. system so if that could be confirmed it would be appreciated. Oh and I live in the U.S.

Depends on the size of the venue. Don't underestimate 20 watts, its still plenty loud. I'd say that you can still do gigs for 25 - 40 people with the Rev Jr easy.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.