ok, so i have no idea where to put this...but im a guitar player/singer and i play live alot, and sometimes what happens when i play live is when im singing into the mic, the vocals get very kinda boomy, my p's pop pretty bad ect ect...is there some way for me to fix this? is this something tht the soud guy is doing wrong? (to much gain or something) just wondering
Just a quick answer for you; a lot of this isn't actually a problem with the sound guy.
This could quite easily be fixed by simply moving away from the microphone a bit, actually.

The "boominess" and the pop that you're getting on some of your vowels is known as the proximity effect; if you get too close to the microphone, your essentially overloading it, which will distort the output as you've noticed.

So yeah! Try moving back a bit and see if that helps; if not, post back and we'll figure it out!
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
hey dude

unfortunately, this is not mostly the soundtech ):

bear with me while i try to explain this (jst woke up, NOT a morning person)

whenever youre singing, try to distance yourself between the mic between 'heavier' notes. what i mean by this, if youre singing something with a lot of 'push' (aka singing your f-ckin head off), try 1) backing up from the mic an inch or two so you dont burst everyones eardrums and 2) angle your projection slightly away from the mic.

imagine the microphone as the direct center of the line of an imaginary arc; when singing normal range, you are speaking directly into the microphone (lets consider this point 0). However, on either side of the microphone, there is another imaginary plot. We will call this point 1. Point 1 is located several inches down the imaginary arc we made on either side. By singing towards point 1, we are still able to project our voice through the microphone, however it will be softer on the receiving side.

Basically the point I'm trying to make (I'm sorry if my explanation was vague...its the morning) is when reaching higher notes (not octave necessarily, jsut something that requires much more projection), attempt to angle your projection away from the immediate microphone.

Also, the main problem with your 'P's....youre too close to the mic and REALLY annunciating that 'PUH'.

Hope this shed a little light on the situation man.