Has anyone ever experienced this? I just did.

I woke up in my bed about 2 hours ago lying on my back. Everything seemed normal at first, until I started hearing a man's voice (I'm in my house alone for the weekend). I cant remember what the words he said were, but he said about 3 words total in about 5 mins time. Once I heard the voice I freaked out and tried to look to the right of me to see if someone was there, but i realized that I could not move at all. It felt like I was in a shell of my own body and couldn't move around in it. Then I started hearing other sounds. It sounded like my dog's collar, but it sounded like it was in my room and downstairs at the same time. Then I started hearing footsteps coming closer to my door and getting faster. I was getting chills, then I remembered what i read about sleep paralysis a while back and decided to close my eyes and try to relax. Once I did that I opened them and realized I moved and quickly turned to my right to see if there was a man, and then I checked under my bed as well. I quickly got up and went downstairs to sleep on the couch. It was pretty scary, but very interesting to experience
You were still asleep, most probably.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
I think I experienced it for the first time in my life this night as well. I could hear words, and a few really strange sounds. I really thought WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING, until I realised that it would be sleep paralysis. Then I closed my eyes again, and fell asleep ;D
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Hmm I don't have that. But I do have that sometimes my muscles somewhere in my body start shaking heavily and that wakes me up. The paint next to my bed is almost gone from the amount of times I have hit against it.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I have sleep paralysis but I don't hallucinate with it.

In olden times they'd think it was stuff like demonic old hags sitting on their chests, stopping them moving. Also linked to alien abduction experiences in modern times.

I'm a bone-deep sceptic, so there are no demons or aliens for me. I'd guessed what was causing it before I read up on the medical information: the paralysis is what the brain uses to stop you walking about when you dream. The nerve-blocking signal is staying active for too long after your consciousness has kicked back in. It's the opposite of sleepwalking.

Nonetheless an unpleasant experience.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Hmm I don't have that. But I do have that sometimes my muscles somewhere in my body start shaking heavily and that wakes me up. The paint next to my bed is almost gone from the amount of times I have hit against it.

Get that checked out. Sounds like some kind of epilepsy.
Your body released a chemical which paralyzes you every time you sleep. Usually when you wake up it stops immediately but sometimes (especially if you are woken prematurely), it takes a few seconds. It's all very normal.
I'm 95% I was awake and not just dreaming. I remember closing my eyes and reopening a couple of times and finally when I decided to relax, I had my eyes open and once I felt the relaxed sensation surge through my body, I jumped out of bed and went downstairs to the couch.

I read that it occurs a lot right after a lucid dream. I was not totally lucid dreaming beforehand, but I did have a very vivid stressful dream that I remember having a hard time believing it when I was in the dream.
It has happened to me before, I get it if I take a nap on my back. When it happens to me I am 100% asleep (I know this because if I move objects while it is happening they are where I left them when I really wake up). When I get it it feels like my head is pinned to my pillow. I can move my whole body just not my head. Also whenever I pick something up and look at it e.g laptop, it goes invisible.

At first it was creepy after about 3 times it just got annoying. It has happened to me about 6 times, all this year.

I have had a similar thing that in the dream when I blink I am teleported back to my bed and I also cannot control when I blink. That was super weird I remember the first time it happened didn't think it was a dream, I just thought I had died and this was what Hell was like for me.
Quote by Jehannum

Nah, internet says it's normal. It's just like: you are sleeping/almost sleeping and then my leg or arms start moving and I am immediately conscious again. My first reaction still is that aliens or murderers are touching me . But they never seem to be doing it or they have gone away too fast.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by MegadethFan18
It has happened to me before, I get it if I take a nap on my back. When it happens to me I am 100% asleep (I know this because if I move objects while it is happening they are where I left them when I really wake up). When I get it it feels like my head is pinned to my pillow. I can move my whole body just not my head. Also whenever I pick something up and look at it e.g laptop, it goes invisible.

At first it was creepy after about 3 times it just got annoying. It has happened to me about 6 times, all this year.

I have had a similar thing that in the dream when I blink I am teleported back to my bed and I also cannot control when I blink. That was super weird I remember the first time it happened didn't think it was a dream, I just thought I had died and this was what Hell was like for me.

I couldn't move at all. The only thing I could move was like my index finger, and it was very very limited motion.
yeh i've had it a couple of times

i think it happens when most of your body isn't 'awake' but some parts are, you're in a half awake half asleep state.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
It's sleep paralysis. Weird shit happens when your brain is still in sleeping-mode.
it's nothing serious, it'll scare the shit out of you, but it's pretty funny IMO
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Happened to me once. Couldn't move or breathe. The feeling of not being able to manually breathe is just awful. Was too busy panicking to notice any hallucination. I don't remember recognizing it for what it was or relaxing so I'm guessing I either fell back asleep or passed out from lack of air. Took me all the next day to decide it was SP and not a really fucked up dream.

Hasn't happened to me since, but I have seen before that, among people who are periodically abducted from their beds by aliens in the night, once they find out what sleep paralysis is, the events kinda stop immediately.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Happened to me 4 times so far....once was the first time...i heard 3 little girls at the top of my steps but then i heard footsteps coming on a hardwood floor...which i do not have in my room...and was just like AHHH.
The 2,3 and 4th time happened in the same night and i could almost control it. Before it would happen it sounded like someone put like a phaser effect on my hearing and it was really cool.

Both times i knew it was coming because a song came on that wasn't on the playlist i went to sleep to. And both times it was jeff buckley. At first last goodbye came on, then the 2/3/4 had Dream Brother. Odd.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Nah, internet says it's normal. It's just like: you are sleeping/almost sleeping and then my leg or arms start moving and I am immediately conscious again. My first reaction still is that aliens or murderers are touching me . But they never seem to be doing it or they have gone away too fast.

Sounds like a hypnic jerk.

On topic, I've had sleep paralysis so many times since I first had it around the age of 10 or 11 that it no longer really scares me, it's just inconvenient. I've only experienced it once where I felt like I couldn't breathe, and that was the only time since I got over my fear of it that sleep paralysis actually scared me.
I saw a show about this a long time ago. If I recall correctly it's when you wake up during the REM period of sleep or something along those lines. You can see some weird stuff. The show had some paintings from around the 1700's - 1800's of what people said they saw. Things like ghosts and demons standing in dark corners looking at them. I've never had it happen to myself though.
Seeing and hearing things is very common during sleep paralysis. It's the common answer for most reports of seeing demons and aliens.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
It's happened to me on a few occasions, and it's always terrifying.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I'm pretty sure I've experienced it multiple times. It's scary. I always get the feeling that there's someone hovering over me. I can never remember if it was just a dream though or if I was actually awake.
Quote by Trances
I saw a show about this a long time ago. If I recall correctly it's when you wake up during the REM period of sleep

You don't recall correctly. We wake up during REM sleep all the time. SP is when the chemical that keeps your brain from telling your muscles to move during REM sleep keeps being secreted after you wake up. In your average person that's way (WAY) less common than just waking up during REM.

/physiological psych class with a prof who did his thesis in sleep physiology

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I heard that they can replicate this in a lab with electrodes on peoples heads and stuff

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1
Quote by SteveHouse
Happened to me once. Couldn't move or breathe. The feeling of not being able to manually breathe is just awful. Was too busy panicking to notice any hallucination. I don't remember recognizing it for what it was or relaxing so I'm guessing I either fell back asleep or passed out from lack of air. Took me all the next day to decide it was SP and not a really fucked up dream.

Hasn't happened to me since, but I have seen before that, among people who are periodically abducted from their beds by aliens in the night, once they find out what sleep paralysis is, the events kinda stop immediately.

My freshman year of college I had whooping cough my entire 1st semester. There was about 5 instances where I woke up not being able to breathe. I would gasp louder and louder and woke everyone up in my fraternity sleeping dorms. I had to run to the bathroom each time and stand over the toilet to gag myself in order to breath or just wait it out hoping I did not pass out. My friend said that I looked white as a ghost the 1st time it happened.
It seems you've had a supernatural experience involving a dark entity...how powerful or sadistic its intentions are will only be known as time goes on, however I suggest you sleep with a rosary on to prevent it from happening again.
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
I used to get this heaps when i was younger. pretty scary.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Experienced it once and thought I was a lizard at the same time; was in a desolate desert with nothing around me at all, and I just couldnt get the **** up.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Bit of a bump there

I only remember one similar event a few months ago where I was lying half awake and somehow realised I was having trouble breathing..which naturally woke me straight up to full alertness, but I still couldn't breathe and I couldn't move either.
After about a minute my leg had gone numb and my chest felt like it was being stabbed with a blunt pencil, then it all just stopped. Freaked shit out of me, but I've not had it since.

Hope it's not sleep apnea or something.
stop sleeping on your back.you might still get it on your side but it isn't half as bad for some strange reason.
Quote by Jehannum

If it was a fit the shaking wouldn't wake him up. He would come round after the fit, not during.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
My friend has this problem. He believes in ghosts and conspiracies so he thinks it's some 'phenomenom'

I have the problem of waking myself up accidentally
I had a dream where a spider was slowly coming towards me and I couldn't move. By the time it got to a few inches from my face I woke up in a press-up position
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat