About a month ago I decided to start playing guitar. Along with a Fender Telecaster, I bought a Vox AC4TV. After a week or two, I noticed an incredibly loud hiss no matter what the settings were on the amp (it was not 60 cycle hum), so I returned it. I currently have no amp and am looking to purchase one. So without further ado, here's some info.

Budget? - Under 300 would be preferable but I can go up to around $4-500.

Genres? - I play a fair amount of 90s alt rock as well as some pop punk and hardcore. Occasionally I'll mess around with post-rock stuff as well. I would like some decent cleans.

New or Used? - No preference.

Home or Gig? - Home.

Closest City? - I'm a few minutes from Buffalo, NY and an hour from Rochester.

Current Gear? - I'm using a stock '99 Fender Telecaster through an Acoustic B200 bass amp and various effects pedals I use for my bass at the moment but I'd like a dedicated guitar amp.

Edit: I've been playing bass for about 5 years now so I'm not totally new to music in general, but I'm fairly ignorant about guitar gear.
Last edited by Kusabi at Jul 30, 2011,
PLAN A:

Drive to the nearest decent music store that you'd like to start a relationship with (bring your guitar).

Repeat everything you just wrote.

Hand them your $.

PLAN B:
Same as Plan A, but drive to House of Guitars in Rochester (if you've never been there, it's TOTALLY worth the drive).

PLAN C:
Take advice from people on the Internet (who can't hear your guitar, and can't let you try out dozens of choices with your ear).

Then, buy lots of used stuff on Craigslist, hoping to get a bargain, but in the end, selling the stuff on CL (or trading it in at the store mentioned in Plan A).

(EDITED TO ADD: I'm a beginner, and I went with Plan C )
Last edited by GretschAnon at Jul 30, 2011,
For an amp for a begginer I would go for some thing quite small, simple and user friendly, but also versatile.

Avoid amps 50watts or more, they are more intended for gigging and practicing with a band than learning.

A 15, 20 or 30 Watt amp should do you best.

You Peavey Vyper, Roland Cube and Vox VT are very nice modelling amps. They have loads of different tones which you can switch between, like a rock tone, metal tone, blues tone, clean tone etc, which you can then EQ how you like.

They also have a few simple effects which are good to play about with and easy to use.

These amps are also pretty affordable, so you can save your money until your a bit more experienced, then you can buy your dream gear.

Go to the wrong store and they may try to rip you off and give you some loud, high priced, very complex amp because they want your money.
Hm, I've tried a bunch of amps and I've been drawn to a few of them.

Fender Mustang I : The cheapest of the bunch and it has a pretty nice sound for just $99. The various amp models and built in effects are enticing as well because they will enable to me mess around with different sounds. Most of the youtube videos I've watched about this amp have sounded really good. Furthermore, it sounded pretty decent when I played it in store but I'd imagine it would sound better after using the Fender Fuse Software.

Vox VT20+ : Another cheapie that seems to get a lot of praise here. Like the Mustang, the plethora of models and effects is nice. Also sounded really nice in store. Complaints of hissing seem to be pretty abundant on the net though and that concerns me.

Blues Junior : Heard a lot of good things about this amp. When I played it in store I was very impressed with the cleans but less than impressed with the gain.

Jet City JCA20H and JCA12 Cab : Good sounding amp but the cleans left a bit to be desired. The drive was good though.

Any feedback on these amps or suggestions? Thanks.
Last edited by Kusabi at Jul 30, 2011,
The last two amps you listed are tube amps. Since you are beginning you might want to forego tube amps for a bit til you are aware of the care tube amps needs.

I'd go for the Fender Mustang for now.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Plan B.

You have to go there.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by GretschAnon
PLAN A:

Drive to the nearest decent music store that you'd like to start a relationship with (bring your guitar).

Repeat everything you just wrote.

Hand them your $.

PLAN B:
Same as Plan A, but drive to House of Guitars in Rochester (if you've never been there, it's TOTALLY worth the drive).

PLAN C:
Take advice from people on the Internet (who can't hear your guitar, and can't let you try out dozens of choices with your ear).

Then, buy lots of used stuff on Craigslist, hoping to get a bargain, but in the end, selling the stuff on CL (or trading it in at the store mentioned in Plan A).

(EDITED TO ADD: I'm a beginner, and I went with Plan C )

can this please be made into a sticky? or just put out there to be used by the general public on every amp thread?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by OldRocker
The last two amps you listed are tube amps. Since you are beginning you might want to forego tube amps for a bit til you are aware of the care tube amps needs.

I'd go for the Fender Mustang for now.

Wasn't that long ago that EVERY amp was a tube amp, and beginners did just fine with 'em.
Quote by Arby911
Wasn't that long ago that EVERY amp was a tube amp, and beginners did just fine with 'em.

Beginners then had proper teachers and techs to guide them.....nowadays every second beginneronly knows his stuff from the net.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Beginners then had proper teachers and techs to guide them.....nowadays every second beginneronly knows his stuff from the net.

If you say so, but I was there and I don't remember it that way...
Once upon a time there was only tube amps as I was there. You haven't heard stories on how we destroyed our amps because we didn't know better.

Wrong tubes or wrong sockets, no biasing, etc etc not to mention shocking hazards as we didn't have grounding plugs before.

Nevertheless it's better than before but still you need to know something about tubes before you consider one. It's not the same as solid states that can take a lot of punishments and negligence.

Tube amps needs TLC.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Of course, you could just tell him how to take care of a tube amp? It's not that hard is it? Tbh, I'd get the Blues Junior and then for your hardcore stuff buy a 'metal in a box' pedal such as a HT-DistX when you can afford to. Also, even though it seems like it sometimes here, it's not like every beginner is a complete moron who can't do anything for himself, I'm sure he'd figure it out.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Last edited by Twistedrock at Jul 30, 2011,
Id get this little guy if I were you, perfect for home practice. I just ordered mine after hearing this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK1k08pSDdc

Id skip all those modeling amps, they did nothing for me when I started out and were a waste of money. Just go for tone.
Last edited by pugachev at Jul 31, 2011,
Out of your list the JCA 20h would be my choice. but I use more distortion than cleans.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Alright. Ignore all advice in this thread.

If you are an hour from Rochester, you're near House of Guitars.

This is pretty much the best guitar store in the world, not exaggerating.

Make the drive, talk to the guys there about your ability and what you're looking for. They will find the very best match for you, and you'll be able to try it out right there.

I was fortunate enough to get some of my first gear there, and have found nothing liek that place in the last ten years or so.
If you're going for the amp without FXs Which I'd prefer to do then I'd say get a tube amp. Those above are good suggestions and get your FXs from pedals.

Why I got this 15 watt tube amp without FXs, just a master volume amp with presence. My FXs will come from my pedals.

For the budget minded though the all in one wonder amps will be worth looking at.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by denied
Alright. Ignore all advice in this thread.

If you are an hour from Rochester, you're near House of Guitars.

This is pretty much the best guitar store in the world, not exaggerating.

Make the drive, talk to the guys there about your ability and what you're looking for. They will find the very best match for you, and you'll be able to try it out right there.

I was fortunate enough to get some of my first gear there, and have found nothing liek that place in the last ten years or so.

^This

The best thing to do is just try out a bunch of different amps in your price range and see which one you like the most.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food