Do you think the whole world will ever talk EXCLUSIVELY one language?

Page 1 of 2
Seeing as a lot of the world can/do speak a bit of English, I am guessing that would be the chosen language? but either way, do you ever think it will be possible to completely forget about all other languages and get the whole world in "sync" so to speak?
This will start a RIOT! in me
No, because people will still want to cling to their cultures. I wouldn't be surprised if, after divided nations are dissolved, everyone learned a certain tongue, but I'm not sure if it would be their main language.
No, alot of people enjoy speaking and learning more than just one language. It has to do with heritage and what not.
We shall call it earthish.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
sorry, not a hell's chance in shit

too many ignorant people to compromise one way of living for everyone, there'd still be hundereds of thousands of elitists still speaking shit because they're legit

not to mention the million of different accents that eventually evolve into different languages
again
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
No. If you lose your language, you've pretty much lost your culture.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2

And americans speak "english".

trolololololol
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

trolololololol

oh snap

that was bold, man
Quote by rockingamer2

This.

This is like, the most sensible thing I've seen here.

Hear hear to you good sir.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
No, can't see that happening at all. Too many languages for that to happen.
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

trolololololol

+1

Also if you lose the knowledge of all languages you'll have a hard time deciphering very old writings. Unless of course you keep knowledge of the old languages.
Someday I would like to think yes. I don't see why not. Anyone claiming that it would hurt their culture needs to get that stick out of their ass. Im american, and if someone walked up to me tomorrow and said that the whole world was going to start speaking chinese, then I would start learning chinese. The advantages that would come from a unilingual world would easily trump all this heritage and pride bs
Quote by rockingamer2

What's so great about your culture? Why is it so damn necessary to keep it?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Dawginator
This.

This is like, the most sensible thing I've seen here.

Hear hear to you good sir.
You tryna get sigged.
Quote by Harryishere
Someday I would like to think yes. I don't see why not. Anyone claiming that it would hurt their culture needs to get that stick out of their ass. Im american, and if someone walked up to me tomorrow and said that the whole world was going to start speaking chinese, then I would start learning chinese. The advantages that would come from a unilingual world would easily trump all this heritage and pride bs

lol

rly

you think it's that easy

'hey, everybody

learn chinese

thanks, see you tomorrow where we will begin changing the world to chinese'

do you not understand that eventually, no matter how hard somebody forces it, there will always be different accents/slangs that eventually form different languages?
Quote by rgrockr

My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by rockingamer2
No you don't. You have to substantiate that, you can't just say things and have it so.
Quote by rgrockr

Because it's made up of all the cultures Europe did not fancy.
Quote by due 07
No you don't. You have to substantiate that, you can't just say things and have it so.

I don't have anything.

It's just an observation that I've made. It's hard to pass on your culture when the new generation doesn't know the language of your culture. I believe this is/has happened to Native Americans her in the US and other indigenous peoples elsewhere in the world. My senior English teacher is part Hispanic but didn't learn Spanish, so he was much more removed from part of his family and that culture (not to mention his is so light skinned he looks white). I am Hispanic but am culturally American, but if I didn't know Spanish, I would be much more distanced from my parent's culture and heritage.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by laid-to-waste
lol

rly

you think it's that easy

'hey, everybody

learn chinese

thanks, see you tomorrow where we will begin changing the world to chinese'

do you not understand that eventually, no matter how hard somebody forces it, there will always be different accents/slangs that eventually form different languages?

I was just giving an example, i'm well aware that that's not a realistic scenario. I'm just saying that creating a world in which everyone speaks one language would be much easier if people gave up on all this "protecting my culture" crap. It doesn't matter what language is your primary language. An Indian who speaks primarily spanish is just as indian as someone who speaks a native indian language. Your culture doesn't disappear just because the words you say sound a different.

As to everyone's various slangs and accents. I see what you're saying. But I think that if trying to create a one language world was properly enforced, and givin enough time, it might work to a certain extent. Obviously not all languages will be erased, but I don't see why a majority of the world wouldnt be able to learn a common one.
Quote by rockingamer2
I don't have anything.

It's just an observation that I've made. It's hard to pass on your culture when the new generation doesn't know the language of your culture. I believe this is/has happened to Native Americans her in the US and other indigenous peoples elsewhere in the world. My senior English teacher is part Hispanic but didn't learn Spanish, so he was much more removed from part of his family and that culture (not to mention his is so light skinned he looks white). I am Hispanic but am culturally American, but if I didn't know Spanish, I would be much more distanced from my parent's culture and heritage.
That's mostly true, but language is just a small part of culture.
I've heard that Esperanto is really easy to learn.

Or else, you can all learn Norwegian! Muhuhuahahaha
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jul 30, 2011,
Quote by Harryishere
I was just giving an example, i'm well aware that that's not a realistic scenario. I'm just saying that creating a world in which everyone speaks one language would be much easier if people gave up on all this "protecting my culture" crap. It doesn't matter what language is your primary language. An Indian who speaks primarily spanish is just as indian as someone who speaks a native indian language. Your culture doesn't disappear just because the words you say sound a different.

As to everyone's various slangs and accents. I see what you're saying. But I think that if trying to create a one language world was properly enforced, and givin enough time, it might work to a certain extent. Obviously not all languages will be erased, but I don't see why a majority of the world wouldnt be able to learn a common one.

well, because up until relatively recently a 50 or so mile radius was their entire world. there's no way to communicate to the rest of the world remotely, the only ways were through ships/letters etc. it's going to take a very long time for a universal communicative verbal medium to occur. by then, there'd probably be voice recognition softwares advanced enough to translate and repeat on the spot with full accuracy, so it'd be a little redundant anyway.

just my thoughts.
Even if there were one day a universal language spoken by every single person on the planet, geographical separations and lingering cultural differences would cause an insane number of dialects to pop up all over the world that several thousand years in the future would be completely different languages.

There is no way to have a single language for the entire planet.
A universal language will definitely happen sometime in the future, but who knows when. It'll probably be English with elements of other languages.

Like in Firefly.
In the works.
I have visited the future and yes it will happen.
Natives to the United Kingdom dinnae even speak the same ****in' language.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Will one language get so big that MOST of the world can speak it? Probably will happen at some point. Will the whole world exclusively speak one language? no.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by due 07
You tryna get sigged.

Not at all. I was being serious.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by K Reyn
Life on earth will be eliminated before that ever happens.

What year does this happen?
When my kind finally invade your planet, you will learn to speak our language, how else will you learn that you're about to be eliminated for not working hard enough.
I don't mean to bring this thread down another direction, but lately I've been playing Mass Effect 2 (great game, btw) and I've started to wonder similar things...

Like say humans do become a space-faring species in the future (how ever long that may take), and let's say that eventually we come to communicate with extraterrestrials (how ever unlikely that may seem). How would we communicate? Would we learn their "language" (seeing as they might not even have a concept of language), or would they learn ours?

It just strikes me as odd seeing as how quite a few different sci-fi series feature humans and aliens interacting, and everyone is speaking english.

Like in Mass Effect, for example, all the alien species speak english... I know it's a game, but how is that physically possible...? Maybe I'm over thinking it...

Now my head hurts.
Quote by Spartan101400
When my kind finally invade your planet, you will learn to speak our language, how else will you learn that you're about to be eliminated for not working hard enough.

Seems I've already learned to imitoot your exarcly
Page 1 of 2