Hi,
I'm working on some bedroom tracks, and right now, the way I record them is to plug my axe into my laptop's line-in jack, then use some free VST plugins for distortion/tone. It actually sounds pretty good as-is, but there's a noticeable amount of noise (that I don't want there), and asking around, it looks like it's coming from the line-in.
I recently picked up a Behringer UCG102 Guitar Link (USB interface), but that didn't really seem to help much. Plus, it's a pain in the ass to use because of some bug in the drivers.
So, like the title says, I'm considering getting a Pod X3 instead, to do the effects and USB thing at once. I'm going for a heavy, modern-metal tone, like what Symphony X or Sonata Arctica uses, and I've heard albums where the Pod X3's used, and they sound amazing (like Ziltoid the Omniscient by Devin Townsend or At The Dream's Edge by Chimp Spanner). Should I spend the extra $300? Or is there an easier way?
For reference, this is what I mean by "modern-metal tone", just as an example.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Jul 30, 2011,
The pod isn't a bad way to go. I hear the HD models are even better. The Line6 monkey SW is decent enough for an interface with your computer.

I have an XT and use it for recording. I have no idea what the bands you mentioned sound like. I can't help there.
You can either get a decent audio interface (i.e. Presonus Firebox (mobile) , Apogee Duet/One) or go for the Pod HD. I would get the bean if you're only gonna record and it has a build in audio card and the same USB out. Michael Romeo from Symphony X used Pods on some of their albums. If you do want to use computer plugins, check out Impulse responses if you haven't yet. And the LePou amp plugins. You can get very versatile tones with Impulse responses, PM me and I can send you a few links to some good ones.
Last edited by Deaderzombie at Jul 30, 2011,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-pod-studio-ux2-with-pod-farm

There's also this. Instead of getting a POD and a recording interface, you can get both with one package. It comes with the POD farm software and gets the same tones I'm pretty sure.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-pod-studio-ux2-with-pod-farm

There's also this. Instead of getting a POD and a recording interface, you can get both with one package. It comes with the POD farm software and gets the same tones I'm pretty sure.

It's a VST? Now I'm interested.
EDIT: I looked up the UG reviews, and one guy says the UX2 doesn't have much in the way of metal patches. The X3 has more models in any case. I'm still considering it, though.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Jul 30, 2011,
Quote by Deaderzombie
The HD's still have better tones, and HD's are better if he wants to gig.

Yeah, at some point I'll want to gig. I've heard you can just plug the Pod right into the monitors/PA, and the UX2 relies on software for all the distortion/FX/etc.
Quote by Cavalcade
Yeah, at some point I'll want to gig. I've heard you can just plug the Pod right into the monitors/PA, and the UX2 relies on software for all the distortion/FX/etc.

You should either get the Bean or the 500, the Bean would be better because if you're recording and playing its easier if it's right in front of you, and If you need you can buy a floorboard expansion.
I say get the bean its 100$ more than the X3 and supposedly sounds a whole lot better.

and anywaysm the Pod HD bean was pratically made for what the TS wants
I'd get an hd floorboard just in case you gig one day.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
either way the general concensus is get the POD HD, desktop or 500. desktop is a bit cheaper but they both are just as capable software wise.
What does the HD have over the X3? The X3's tone sounds good enough for me, and from the specs, it looks like the HD just has more detailed modeling.
Quote by Cavalcade
What does the HD have over the X3? The X3's tone sounds good enough for me, and from the specs, it looks like the HD just has more detailed modeling.

The HD has the M9 effects, HD amp modeling (which is actually really good). And "good enough" usually doesn't mean fantastic haha. And the HD is the new thing so it has a lot of space to grow, where as the pod x3 is pretty much done. I've used both and honestly I like the HD better.
Last edited by Deaderzombie at Jul 30, 2011,
for 100$ its deff worth getting the unit thats more detailed in sound, because even if you dont hear it now, youll hear it eventusally and saving an extra 100$ now for it is better than buy a whole new unit later because your ear has gotten better
Yes, the rp355 sounded better in person when I got it, so the same with the hd.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
if you're playing metal id stay away from pods for sure man, and vsts. they dont really do metal all that well. you can get a half decent tone after ****in around with settings for a while and obviously it'll sound better in a mix. up to you really, but they're just a poor mans axe fx and they sound like as much as they cost

Got an amp to mic up?
Quote by s31770
if you're playing metal id stay away from pods for sure man, and vsts. they dont really do metal all that well. you can get a half decent tone after ****in around with settings for a while and obviously it'll sound better in a mix. up to you really, but they're just a poor mans axe fx and they sound like as much as they cost

Got an amp to mic up?

Just a Micro Cube. It sounds good, but when I mic it, it suddenly sounds shittier for some reason.
Get the pod x3 (which from personal experience sounded alot better than the HD series) and turn the cabinet sims off, and use external cab sims in the daw it sounds so much better. Apparently the updates on the hd series improved the tone's by alot so maybe checkout the hd300 for $300.
chimp spanner used an X3
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.