About a week ago, I sat in my room making an improv/ jam and recorded it.
Tried again. Recorded with more percussive strumming and loads of attack.
The result seemed a bit different, in a good way. I'll go back
over it again and again until it's perfected. This is only the second time I've put
some thought into my original recordings. During recording the perfected version,
I will use a metronome. (noticed over half-way through the tempo was rushed, almost double)

Do other artists do this? Write material off recorded improvs?
Will I need drums added even though there's percussive strumming?
The title works, but couldn't it be better?
Instructive criticism would be much appreciated.

Improv at bottom of list; "Weather Channel":
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/blakeg14/music

Influenced/inspired by: Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Doobie Brothers.

Dude, most Jazz musicians release albums that are done in one take and include a lot of improvisations. For example, a song will have a melody or chord progression that will be played at the beginning of the song and then each musicians gets a chance to solo using the chord progression and melody as the basis, while the rest of the band will comp for the soloist. Ofc these musicians dedicate their lives to mastering their instruments and expressing themselves through it, but it just shows you how spontaneous music can be great. (Check albums such as Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, and listen to the way the soloists express each phrase, it's like they are talking to you)

So I think using recorded improvisations in Originals is a good idea.
Quote by felakutihimself

Didn't think about that, honestly. Good point. I'll continue recording improvs then.
Have tons of questions I should probably ask in composition since I've never wrote
a song. Actually, All my originals are improvs; no time for thinking, just playing. Thanks.
Pretty much all of my solos on track are all improvs.. Usually ill record one or two improvs then ill take ideas from them and put it into a 3rd and final one, and any mistakes (as long as they are not TOO bad) ill just leave in there... ill only keep recording if there is a really bad mistakes..

sometimes i hit a wrong string or somthing and make some bad noises, but they usually sound quiet good.. so, yeah... i improv on a lot of my stuff for the solos and usually when i get critics, the solo is what people say is the best part...

Im not sure if they are saying I suck at writing music, or if I am good at improv...Mhmmm...

EDIT:

BTW, one good tip, is try to stay to the chord progression or melody of the chorus or something... So, like, your guitar imitates the melody of the singer on the chorus or the chord progression. I read in my guitar magazine htat its great to have a good structure to your solo and play things that people will reconize from your song, if you know what i mean?
Last edited by DarrenReeder at Jul 30, 2011,
Quote by DarrenReeder
Pretty much all of my solos on track are all improvs.. Usually ill record one or two improvs then ill take ideas from them and put it into a 3rd and final one, and any mistakes (as long as they are not TOO bad) ill just leave in there... ill only keep recording if there is a really bad mistakes..

sometimes i hit a wrong string or somthing and make some bad noises, but they usually sound quiet good.. so, yeah... i improv on a lot of my stuff for the solos and usually when i get critics, the solo is what people say is the best part...

Im not sure if they are saying I suck at writing music, or if I am good at improv...Mhmmm...

I see. Somewhat trying that in my own recordings, but I don't know if I should add a
solo to the song I've been working on.

You probly started out like me - learning scales and soloing before you could play chords.
Nah, not quiet. I could play guitar for about 3 years, then i was like "mhmm, i hear a lot about scales, what are they"... well that was about 3 or 4 months ago.. and then I practiced to backing tracks and thought... "f**K it, if i can solo pretty well this quickly, ill write songs" so i did..

make sure you dont feel pressured into putting a solo into every song... unfourtently for me, i cant sing so i have to put a solo in so that I can put my own emotion into the song somewhere... and im not at a stage in writing music that i can put emotion in the whole track...

a good example of what i mean is on my Track 2..

www.myspace.com/publicanimal09

at about 1:25 I come in with my solo and on that first bend, is the emotion that I love to get.. check it out if ya like, its a nice solo and its a improv, so it shows what an amateur can achieve with improvs..
Quote by DarrenReeder
Nah, not quiet. I could play guitar for about 3 years, then i was like "mhmm, i hear a lot about scales, what are they"... well that was about 3 or 4 months ago.. and then I practiced to backing tracks and thought... "f**K it, if i can solo pretty well this quickly, ill write songs" so i did..

make sure you dont feel pressured into putting a solo into every song... unfourtently for me, i cant sing so i have to put a solo in so that I can put my own emotion into the song somewhere... and im not at a stage in writing music that i can put emotion in the whole track...

a good example of what i mean is on my Track 2..

www.myspace.com/publicanimal09

at about 1:25 I come in with my solo and on that first bend, is the emotion that I love to get.. check it out if ya like, its a nice solo and its a improv, so it shows what an amateur can achieve with improvs..

Ah, ok. Possibly the exact opposite of what I did, but everyone learns
on a different level. Gotta start somewhere.

That makes sense. I can't sing either. All my originals are instrumental.
I don't think the song I've been working on has room for a solo. There's
so much going on with just one guitar, I don't even feel comfortable adding
drums at this point..

Can't listen, at the moment. Have to find some headphones- the other pair broke.
Improv was the hardest part of playing jazz. The teacher was like: "You. Solo. Now."
Ahhh.. What key are we in again!?