Hey guys !
I have been GASing for the Powerball 2 for a while and ill have the money in 2 months. Im going to get it used.
However in couple days I have heard lots of great sounds coming from the Savage 120 too and I found out it is not so much more expensive..something like 200-250 euros more. So besically i dont know if the Savage is worth the money.

What I need/Plans

I play lots of differend kind of music but the main is hard rock/heavy metal and some progre. I love guitar sounds of Killswitch Engage, All that remains, Dream Theater.
I dont play very low tunings. yet. I am not a die-hard death metal player, something softer. It will be for home(recording) and gigging.

How I would set the channels :

Channel 1 would be a basic beutiful clean channel, as clean as possible. Ill use some delay and chorus on that .

Channel 2 would be some lighter Whitesnake kinda crunch sound on which i could easily roll back the guitar's volume knob for even lower gain . Id need such channel for some parts of my original songs mainly.

Channel 3/4 - one of them would be my main rhythm channel and one would be my solo channel , i dont know whichone, coz i dont know exactly how they are voiced on both amps. The leads must be smooth and deep with lots sustain, the rhythm must be really punchy and powerful. Id set the EQ on amp for the solo channel and ill use the 10band EQ in loop for rhythm channel for maximum control. Ill maybe also use a tubescreamer for the solo channel .

My perfect tone would me somewhere like this ( Rage-Soundchaser)WATCH !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewcciK3F8yY

I know smolski uses ENGLs too , but I am not very interested in buying his sig model or something .. So yea tell me what do you think of all that i have written and`is the savage even better ?
If you want a ENGL powerball 2, get one

I am really gassing for one too, but it's too expensive for me. GO FOR IT!!
I really love it likw the same way you do, exept i love the clean with a lottlebit more gain for a more full sound

Really great amp

It's a really good amp IMO

*sticked*

Edit: never did a comparisation of them 2
There is no savage in holland AFAIK. at least not where i am...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Jul 30, 2011,
I have never played a Powerball 2, but from what you describe the savage fits it perfect. I owned a savage 120 and if I could afford a setup with multiple heads I would get another one in a heart beat.

The main difference between the savage and powerball is the voicing. The savage has a HUGE lower mid sound that pretty much is prominent on every channel. It makes a super huge thick sound. With the voicing switches you can shape the tone's thickness/compression/EQ.

There's lots of ENGL haters out there and most of them still love savages. Keep that in mind.

On the savage channels 3/4 are very similar, channel 4 has WAY more gain. Channel 3 is modded marshall territory and channel 4 is H@LYSHIT_ENGL area. They share an EQ for the most part and are voiced pretty much the same.

IMO save for a savage.
/rig
i haven't tried the powerball II or savage, but i've tried the powerball I and i have a savage se, and I reckon (assuming the ones i've tried are at least in the same ballpark) that the savage would suit you better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok thanks guys. One more thing that i hear so many people EQ the savage to very very bright . Specially for the chugga and rhythm . I just sounds too harsh for me . Is it easily EQ'ed to softer/smoother ? thanks
engls are pretty bright, generally.

there's a rough/smooth switch on the higher gain channels, though. however, that makes a pretty big difference (if my savage se is anything to go by). if anything it's too smooth with the smooth switch engaged for anything other than lead playing- while rough can be too harsh.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I played a Powerball II and it blew my mind. Seriously, it is an amazing amp. But, I don't need that much volume.
played the Steve Morse sig today . Now i want it .
I hate when this shit happens .

Thoughts ?