Hi
I have a Gibson SG Special and it has 490R/490T pickups.
If i want to play hardcore/metal what pickups should i go for?
Go for EMG 81/85, it will mean fitting a battery somehow though, which you may not want to do yourself.
There are many different pickups you can go for... There is an offical "What pickup" Thread, and the mods usually close these types of threads pretty fast.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by RiseTheFallen
Can you give me the link for the thread? Cause i can't find it.

I can't find it either. Search sucks yo.

EMGs are good for metal. Seymour Duncan Blackouts are also supposed to be good, but I haven't tried them.

-There's other options that aren't active like DiMarzio Breeds/D-Activator.

-Bareknuckle Pickups are becoming more popular here, they're a lot more expensive than just your normal SD or DiMarzio, but they're also supposed to be awesome.

Those are just a few recommendations.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Whats wrong with your current pick ups? Honestly, you could throw in some BKP war pigs, and they still wont sound much more metal through your VS. Higher out put pickups overdrive tube amps. Not solid state amps with a preamp tube.
almost every hardcore band i've seen playing live, played a guitar with an emg 81 in the bridge and didn't use their neck pickup at all. also most of em played a 6505/5150

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
I play metal fine with the stock Gibson pick ups on my explorer. And "hardcore" is generally lower gain than metal, generally... either way the Gibson pick ups are actually fine for metal like I said.

All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Plenty of bands have used stock pick ups for metal. The amp makes a bigger different. But check out the Dimarzio D-activator, Its a passive pick up build to have all the top qualities of an active pickup. Its very popular. It will fit your needs and be easier to install than an EMG. It will also be more versatile for if you ever want to play any thing else.
Quote by ethan_hanus
BKP Nailbombs, or BKP Miracle Man, perfect pickup for that guitar.

I might suggest a BKP War Pig or Painkiller instead of the Miracle Man if you're using lower tunings. I have a MM and find it isn't the best for lower tunings. Not bad, but you can tell it's more geared for standard.

What's your budget TS and can you give us some examples of bands that are close to the sound you're looking for? What is your sound lacking at the moment?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Do not get an SD Invader. They only sound usable in certain guitars
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
New pickups won't give you any more gain, make you sound heavier or make you sound more metal. Your amp is stuck sounding how it is. Metal tones come mostly from your amp, pickups barely matter when you're talking about high-gain stuff. They effect clarity and response but the core of your tone is still dictated by the amp. Your amp simply isn't a very metal amp. If you want more balls to your sound, if you want more gain, if you want to hit harder then you'll need to get a different amp, not pickups. And absolutely do not get active pickups while you have a hybrid amp.