Page 1 of 2
Jae Custom

In all seriousness, the replacement body I started building over a year ago is finally done I didn't want to post a NGD thread until' the guitar was actually properly finished and had everything installed etc. I even did a full set up though I doubt that will show from the pic It's been a while since I've posted here but I just coudn't prevent myself from sharing this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It was actually assembled (minus the pickups/electronics) over 4 months ago, but because I was low on cash I couldn't afford BKP's after getting rid of the Ceramic Nailbomb I had before (I hated it). I decided to wait on the D-Activator 8's which FINALLY arrived last Saturday after a huge hassle with USPS. It's been done since Monday but I had to wait for the sun to come out to take decent pictures. Here's the pr0n!

The body is a 1 piece Swamp Ash of incredible quality. Acoustically this guitar resonates and is loud like no other guitar I've ever played before. The forearm scoop I made is incredibly comfortable and I made the design of the guitar with my playing style in mind. I usually play in a classical position which is also the reason behind the positioning of the volume/switch/tone. The volume is a push/pull switch which activates a coiltap and holy **** these D-Activators sound GREAT on clean when the switch is in the middle (both pickups selected) and the coiltap activated.

Overall I am really happy with the end result, the looks and sound are exactly what I wanted. The dude that painted it for me did a stellar job; he mixed in some extra white on a pearlwhite just so it has a little flaking to it. Flat white would have looked out of place with the Midnight blue (which is the exact same colour BMW uses btw) which has some light metallic flakeyness going on in it. On the front of the body, the white follows the contours of the guitar with the blue being on the ''flat'' part of the front of the body. The electronic cavities, while clean on the inside, look a bit ugly on the outside due to a router bit that was wonky. Something I'll adjust later on, now I'm just too happy to have an ERG again to put it down.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
That is a beast!!

HNGD!
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
what's up with the bridge?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

So many strings...is this a guitar or a Harp!

lol, j/k. The body shape and paint look sweet as hell!
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Quote by OliOsbourne
what's up with the bridge?

it's a fixed Edge bridge. its double locking, but it's not a tremelo bridge.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93

that sounds awesome dude! happy NGD
Quote by Seanthesheep
that sounds awesome dude! happy NGD

Cheers mate

The bridge is indeed a bolted down Edge III bridge. It's basically a fixed bridge with fine tuners, the exact same as the Ibanez RG 2228 has. It's an 8 string guitar (obviously) and is currently tuned in standard, low F# to high E. Soon my Elixer strings will arrive with a 0.80, then I can tune down to Drop E which is my preferred tuning as I'm heavily inspired by Animals as Leaders. The extra octave allows for really nice bar chording and under distortion it still sounds very heavy.

I'm currently working on a song with this. As soon as it's done I'll upload it and post it here so you can all hear what the axe sounds like If anyone here has an 8 string and wants to get replacement pickups; Screw Bareknuckle's/Lundgrens; these DiMarzio's are incredible pickups and I prefer them over any of the 8 string pickups I've heard (they also cost about half the price of BKP's, a quarter of Lundgren's :P )

EDIT: Forgot to say, I'm currently in talks with a local luthier to replace the fretboard with a flame maple fretboard.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Last edited by JaeSwift at Jul 30, 2011,
very nice, the black/white body is badass
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
that is crazy awesome. If i may ask, how hard it is to play on that neck? my fingers can barely do the right thing on my simple 6 string necks.
Quote by Seanthesheep
cant that totally F up the guitar neck real easy?

Necks on 8's are built to withstand enough tension with ease.

What do you expect bass are made of, that has thicker strings and a longer scale?

On topic : THAT IS ONE SEXY BEAST TS!!! I'm eager to hear that recording of yours.

It reminds me of a pimped out RGD. So sexy.
For a superstrat style guitar, the body is nice. It's refreshing to see something a bit more unique. However, the massive neck and hardware ruin it for me. But HNGD
Quote by Syriel

What do you expect bass are made of, that has thicker strings and a longer scale?

the high strings add more tension than the low ones.

HNJCD! it does look totally badass.
Quote by randomhero93

I never really understood those
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne

hardtails can be confusing.
Quote by OliOsbourne

its the best of both worlds. it's the perfect tuning stability of a Floyd Rose, but there's also the free ability to tune whenever and to whatever you want without always having to re-balance the trem.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by gregs1020
hardtails can be confusing.

I know how it works but I just don't know what the point of it is.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne

just explained it right above this quote.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by OliOsbourne

Seems like an added pain for changing tunings and string changes, but I can understand it. One reason I prefer floating trems are the fine tuners, so it's like the best of both worlds in a way. I don't see the need for a locking nut though.
Oh Christ..its beautiful~!~!~!~!

Everything about it is massive...I must treat myself to one..perhaps even a 9-string...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Thanks a lot for the great response guys As far as having an 8 string guitar and tonality is concerned; keep in mind the neck is a 27'' scale one; 1.5'' longer than most guitars nowadays (discounting PRS and Gibson which have even shorter scales). This makes it so that there is more tension on the strings and also a bit more space between frets.

As far as the bridge is concerned; it's IMO the best 8 string system there is. It intonates far better than most hardtail bridges and because it's bolted down instead of floating /w springs, the sustain is better too. Tuning stability on it is awesome thanks to the locking nut. There's a reason a lot of artists get customs with a blocked Floyd Rose!

As far as changing tunings and strings; the only ''extra'' work I need to do is take off the locking bolts on the nuts and cut off the ball ends of the strings, which takes me maybe a minute more than it would with a regular hardtail bridge. The main reason I like this bridge is because when I'm writing riffs I often sit down for 2 hours and play non stop to a few pre-programmed drum beats. Because I pick really hard, pitches will end up getting dropped and I have to re-tune every now and again. With this system I don't have to which helps keep me focused on the creative process. That and it holds up better on stage.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by randomhero93
its the best of both worlds. it's the perfect tuning stability of a Floyd Rose, but there's also the free ability to tune whenever and to whatever you want without always having to re-balance the trem.

I thought it would be like managing a floyd but not being able to use it as a trem.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
I thought it would be like managing a floyd but not being able to use it as a trem.

nope. it's a solid bridge. there's no springs to worry about. so it gives the tuning stability of Floyd's while being able to change tunings easily like hard-tails.
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
nope. it's a solid bridge. there's no springs to worry about. so it gives the tuning stability of Floyd's while being able to change tunings easily like hard-tails.

A tiny bit of extra work, but yea, that's the gist of it.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by OliOsbourne

stability.
yeah the fixed edge bridge would have voted to increase the debt ceiling much sooner
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Very nice, that is a pretty unusual and altogether awesome paint job you've got there. Love it!

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah the fixed edge bridge would have voted to increase the debt ceiling much sooner

R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by OliOsbourne

Floyds are incredibly stable tuning wise. Tune it once, done bother tuning agian got three months. This thing gets that stability without the hassle of the spring balancing thing on a floyd.

Either way, THEES EES EPICZ
you gotta be big foot's cousin big hand to plat those necks. darnit those are HUGE. like the look though HNGD!
Absolutely Beautiful. I'm going to have to look at the pictures again.

Happy New Gear Day man!
Quote by wolvenrick
you gotta be big foot's cousin big hand to plat those necks. darnit those are HUGE. like the look though HNGD!

Haha cheers, but really it's not that bad at all. Check out YouTube for some Tosin Abasi movies (or Animals as Leaders in general) and you can see for yourself. I don't really notice discomfort (or a difference for that matter) when switching from 7 to 8. 7's and 8's are generally more comfortable for me to play anyway.

EDIT: Also, remember, the neck is a stock Ibanez RGA 8 neck. It's nothing special but it works. Might get a new neck built or the frets and fretboard replaced on this depending on the difference in cost.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by JaeSwift
Haha cheers, but really it's not that bad at all. Check out YouTube for some Tosin Abasi movies (or Animals as Leaders in general) and you can see for yourself. I don't really notice discomfort (or a difference for that matter) when switching from 7 to 8. 7's and 8's are generally more comfortable for me to play anyway.

EDIT: Also, remember, the neck is a stock Ibanez RGA 8 neck. It's nothing special but it works. Might get a new neck built or the frets and fretboard replaced on this depending on the difference in cost.

At that point its like you never even had an RG

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
At that point its like you never even had an RG

Yep. After the neck get's worked on it's just gonna be a 100% custom. I mainly bought it because if you just want to buy the bridge + locking nut seperate from Ibanezrules it is incredibly expensive and I liked the neck profile. Fretwork was also way above what I expected and the rosewood board is a nice piece so it was a good buy, despite the nut being mis-centered a little.

Added advantage of getting a new neck made is that I can sell the old neck off for a decent price too.
My Gear:

Guitars:

Amp:

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by JaeSwift
Yep. After the neck get's worked on it's just gonna be a 100% custom. I mainly bought it because if you just want to buy the bridge + locking nut seperate from Ibanezrules it is incredibly expensive and I liked the neck profile. Fretwork was also way above what I expected and the rosewood board is a nice piece so it was a good buy, despite the nut being mis-centered a little.

Added advantage of getting a new neck made is that I can sell the old neck off for a decent price too.

Depending on when you end up doing so I may want to buy it off of you. An 8 string neck is hard to come by, and I sorta like the option of a locking nut on a pre built neck. . If its in the next few months, lemme know if you decide to sell it. I may be interested in buying it. That and the old body too >_>

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance