I know there's the "MT's only suggest me a song thread" but the response times on there are terrible. So here it goes Im looking for a song to improve my legato phrasing and my speed with my alternate picking. I have 3 1/2 years of experience and spent most of the time playing blues and rock , but now I want to be more versatile. I'm looking for more prog suggestions than metal but all in all any suggestion is a good one. Thanks all!
Legato: Anything with Satriani I figure
Alternate picking: Dream Theater? Some of Steve Vai's songs have rather fast alternate picking too.
Quote by xevious1
paul gilbert is an expert alternate picker, try technical difficulties. its technically difficult

This. Paul Gilbert is constantly hailed as the "master" of alternate picking, even by faster players such as Rusty Cooley.

Satriani is indeed a great example of a legato-heavy player, as is Alan Holdsworth (or so I've heard)
Quote by xevious1
paul gilbert is an expert alternate picker, try technical difficulties. its technically difficult

Hahaha yeah it does seem difficult for sure. Thanks for the suggestion!
Quote by T.s.e
Jaws of Life - John Petrucci. Knock yourself out

Good suggestion but sadly I dont have a 7 string :/
Quote by SilverSpurs616
This. Paul Gilbert is constantly hailed as the "master" of alternate picking, even by faster players such as Rusty Cooley.

Satriani is indeed a great example of a legato-heavy player, as is Alan Holdsworth (or so I've heard)

I agree, but how are we forgetting ANDY JAMES from licklibrary?! He may not be the master but he is pretty amazing too!
Legato, anything by Joe satriani or Steve vai. Maybe even michael romeo (Symphony X) and Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)

Alternate picking, check out following guitarists.
Paul gilbert (Mr.Big, Racer X, Solo albums)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater) (Solo albums)
Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) (Not one of the greatest, but i enjoy his playing and he got some decent AP runs)
Yngwie Malmsteen (Check out his 2 first solo albums, if i remember correctly there are some pretty sweet runs)
Kirk Hammett (Far from one of the greatest, but i dont know how good you are at AP, and kirk is a good start together with some Zakk Whylde)

That´s just my 2 cents, good luck!