Hi, I have a Schecter Damien Elite FR with the stock EMGs(81/85), with a Roland Cube 80XL as an amp(I know, solid states aren't supposed to make much of a difference, but when I changed my ML's pickups I noticed a huge difference and I can notice a big difference between my ML and my Schecter). I play a variety of stuff, but for the most part it's 80s stuff;hair/glam metal with some speed metal, neoclassical, thrash and early power(as in Jag Panzer and Stormtrooper, no Rhapsody Of Fire-type stuff) metal thrown in. I know EMGs are supposed to be the bee's knees, but I think the 85 in the neck is an indistinct, muddy piece of rubbish and the 81 in the neck's not HORRID, per se, but it's not as clear as I'd like and it's not tight, rather fizzly sounding to my ML and my friend's Peavey Rotor EXP. My ML has a DiMarzio Super Distortion, and I think that's a nice pickup, very tight and can handle most of what I like, and the PAF Pro in the neck is a nice pickup, very nice cleans and very articulate-sounding, but the ML's got a basswood body, whereas my Schecter's got a mahogany body.

I'd like to know what you guys think are some good pickups. Criss Oliva from Savatage's got a tone to die for IMO, and to my knowledge he used a Duncan JB in the bridge, so I'm curious about those, but I tried an Ibanez JEM777 at Long And McQuade and the DiMarzio Evolution in the neck blew me away, very bright and clear sounding, though I think that could be due to the JEM being an alder guitar. As such I've taken interest in those, but I'm open to anything provided I can get the pickups for less than $100 a pup.

...in a nutshell, I'd like some pickups to replace my mahogany-bodied, maple-necked Schecter's EMG 81/85 combo, I'd like something nice and tight(very tight) for the bridge, and something very articulate for the neck, good for searing leads, and preferably to have nice, warm, acoustic-like cleans, unlike the 85 which even with my trebly settings smears everything together. I play hair metal mainly, but I do some classic rock and heavier stuff, though the heaviest I go is early Morbid Angel and Sacrifice, I don't play much of anything modern. Thanks!

EDIT:Oh, and I'd really rather go passive. I don't really see much of anything I like in the way of actives, and rewiring's not an issue if it means I can use my neck pickup.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Last edited by Enix165 at Jul 30, 2011,
yeah basically super distortions or seymour duncans were the main hair metal pickups, maybe look at George Lynch's screamin demon pickups, he had an eighties metal tone to die for
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Honestly, you're going to be very hard pressed to find a tighter pickup out there than the 81. I think the problem may be that the EMG's don't like to play nice with your amp. Which does constitute a pickup change, but you may like the pickups a lot more if you play them through a nice amp.

Anyway, if you're intent on getting pickups now and not a new amp, check out an SD JB/59 combo.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by RetroGunslinger
yeah basically super distortions or seymour duncans were the main hair metal pickups, maybe look at George Lynch's screamin demon pickups, he had an eighties metal tone to die for

Alright, I was a little worried Super Distos might be a little muddy, I've heard they're not so hot for mahogany, but then, Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest used them, so...xD

Quote by Offworld92
Honestly, you're going to be very hard pressed to find a tighter pickup out there than the 81. I think the problem may be that the EMG's don't like to play nice with your amp. Which does constitute a pickup change, but you may like the pickups a lot more if you play them through a nice amp.

Anyway, if you're intent on getting pickups now and not a new amp, check out an SD JB/59 combo.

I don't think it's the amp, man. o_o I tried it through a 6505 and a 6505+ in the store I bought it at, and it sounded sorta fizzy in there too(I loved the feel though. Me and my buddy went in when and we jammed, and we swapped amps and all, he had this really deep, chuggy tone(he was using a Rotor EXP there too, he bought another one used a week later), but mine still sounded fizzy. Iunno if it's just that I don't like the Peavey or what(I've EQed the hell out of everything...xD). And I'm really considering the JB, thanks man!
Quote by SlayingDragons
did you try the 85 in the bridge? I use an 89 in the bridge and it sounds great, but I don't know if the 85 would sound the same... even though they're supposed to be similar. But try it before you give up on the EMGs.
Quote by Offworld92

+ 1

SD JB/'59 screams hair metal.
And so does the Dimarzio super distortion.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Ibbod0
did you try the 85 in the bridge? I use an 89 in the bridge and it sounds great, but I don't know if the 85 would sound the same... even though they're supposed to be similar. But try it before you give up on the EMGs.

I may try that, but isn't the 85 supposed to be bassier than the 81? If that's the case I think that'd make matters worse. Although, Reb Beach DID use an 89 earlier in his career...hm. Newer EMGs have solderless installation, don't they?
Quote by SlayingDragons
EMG's, despite what model, are neither, fuzzy, loose, nor muddy, your amp just sucks, hence why EMGs sound bad through it. Granted, EMG's are rather sterile, and wont work good for 80's shred metal.

I would say BKP Nailbombs, but you can't afford those, so I'd go with the SD combo JB bridge and Pearly Gates in the neck.
JB/59 sounds perfect for you
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
if you want to stick to the big brands i'd be inclined to go for a duncan distortion, with the mahogany body. the jb can get muddy in mahogany if you're not careful.

i don't find the neck evo all that bright. the jem has 24 frets, that would increase the brightness of the neck pickup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
JB/59 or Super Distortions. EMG's are the wrong pickup with your amp for that. You can get a great Hair Metal sound out of EMG's into a JCM800 or an SLO but not into what you've got.
Personally, when I hear hair metal I think DiMarzzio Super Distortions.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah same here, just he already has one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
BareKnuckle Rebel Yells - Steve Stevens is about as 80's as it gets, I think he still lives there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have 4 Guitars one Shecter Elite with a pair of EMG 85's, One Les Paul Custom with EMG 81 and 85 combo, one Shecter C-1 Classic with a duncan JB bridge Jazz in the neck and a Mahogany body and one Ibanez Ps-10 with a Dimarzio Super Distortion and a Mahogany Body

the EMG's sound bad in a solid state amp.If you want to use EMG's they really need to be played in a Tube amp. The 85 is bassier then the 81. I like the 85 for rythem and the 81 for lead.

Between the Duncan JB and the Dimarzio SD the JB is brighter then the SD. I think you would like the JB better for 80's metal between all of the Pickups I have It's my favorite between the 4.
I automatically think Dimarzio Super Distortion when I think of 80's and/or glam metal. Also in regards to the neck pickup Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell. Maybe not as high output as everything here but it is insanely clear andd has the clean sound you (briefly) mentioned
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by steven seagull
BareKnuckle Rebel Yells - Steve Stevens is about as 80's as it gets, I think he still lives there.

doo-doo-doo-duh-duh-duh-duh-doo, duh-duh-doo, duh-duh-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

do it for goose

etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?