I am modifying my EMG guitar for passive pickups. I heard that I need to change the volume and tone pots? Can someone recommend top of the line pots. If I can get part numbers I would appreciate it. Metric pots preferred but I will change the knobs If I have to use standard pots. If there is anything else I need please let me know. Thanks!
Alessandro High-End pots are the most "top of the line" that I can think of. $37.50 each from tubesandmore.com or $50 each from his own website.

Of course 98% of people would see you buy a $40-50 pot for a guitar and rip out their hair in rage.
depending on what pick ups youd either need
500k or 250k logarithmic pots for the volume (probably need 500k pots considering you had emgs which are humbucking)
and 500 k linear pots for the tone with a capacitor(not too good with the values of these off the top of my head)

the jack and switch are probably fine
and dont forget to ground the wiring in the guitar when you rewire it i think emgs are internally grounded(dont quote me on this one)
Quote by supersac

and dont forget to ground the wiring in the guitar when you rewire it i think emgs are internally grounded(dont quote me on this one)

They are. TS will need to add a ground to the bridge otherwise noise will be a problem.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Seref
Alessandro High-End pots are the most "top of the line" that I can think of. $37.50 each from tubesandmore.com or $50 each from his own website.

Of course 98% of people would see you buy a $40-50 pot for a guitar and rip out their hair in rage.

I know I would.

CTS pots are supposed to be the best bang for your buck, but I've gone though several of those, and all of them had faulty tapers, kinda pissed me off.

But every single Alpha pot I've seen in any guitar had perfect tapers, so I'm gonna try Alpha pots next, might have better luck. You might try em too, cheap too.

And what the heck is metric pots?
Sorry... i am installing Gibson Burstbuckers.

Metric pots are those with posts that accept metric knobs. My guitar was made in Japan so I have metric posts and knobs.
Quote by Finger Cramp
Sorry... i am installing Gibson Burstbuckers.

Metric pots are those with posts that accept metric knobs. My guitar was made in Japan so I have metric posts and knobs.

Pots are all the same, they don't have a metric or standard difference like other parts, all pots(maybe not all persay, but the majority of em) are gonna be the same shaft length, unless specified otherwise, and fit the same knobs, the only difference is split shaft pots, and solid shaft pots.

The only thing that might change in size is the taper and case of the pot, some are small, some are larger, but that doesn't really matter, it's mainly shaft length you should concern yourself with.
Lol, that's just BS, you can put whatever pots you want in your guitar, metric, standard, whatever, they are the same. They don't sell pots as metric or standard, they are all a standardize size, so you don't have this problem.

If you are worried so much about it, just get some knobs with the Allen screw so you can clamp it to the shaft.
Why would a well known company like MIJ make two different knobs then? Just for the fun of it? And why wouldn't the Gibson knobs fit on my ESP guitar? They had two different sets of splines on the shaft.
Last edited by Finger Cramp at Jul 31, 2011,