Anyone ever gone through a phase of "musician's block", as I like to call it? Right now I'm having a terrible time writing music, as nothing I compose sounds good and I'm not feeling very creative. How do I overcome this? I want to sit down and come up with new music, and I'm feeling very frustrated.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Schecter C-1+ with SD '59/Custom 5
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by cxrlxscr
Anyone ever gone through a phase of "musician's block", as I like to call it? Right now I'm having a terrible time writing music, as nothing I compose sounds good and I'm not feeling very creative. How do I overcome this? I want to sit down and come up with new music, and I'm feeling very frustrated.

^ that always happens to me when I try too hard.

What helps me is to take a break from writing and just enjoy the act of playing for a while.
I'll just try to find a song that's appealing to me and learn how to play it. Sometimes I'll just go through songs that I already know and just happen to feel like playing.

then, when it comes time to write I try to follow my inspiration. I play, I listen, I appreciate the sounds, and I work with it until I come up with something I like.

as soon as I stop enjoying myself, and/or feel like I'm not getting anywhere (Which for me is the same thing). I just stop & take a break.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 30, 2011,
i dont know just keep going tat happened to me like two months ago nothing i wrote sounded good to me andn like last monday i got over the block and im writing stuff i like again

try stepping away from it for a bit you might be burnt out some
Inspiration and musicality are not tangible subjects that everyone can tend to universally. Give it time, experiment with yourself and see what your problem is with writing. It's a personal thing, just like writing literature, and no one online is going to magically be able to wave a wand and tell you when you'll be ready to craft a new piece.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by cxrlxscr

Go on youtube or something and find some new bands. Listen to lots of new music. Go outside of music you think you'll like. Thats what I do.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
One way fight your problem is listening to new music. Try listening something different to what you listen normally. Not only bands, styles too. That will open your mind to completely new ideas.
Hola.
along with listening to new music as said before, try switching instruments for a while. If i can't come up with anything for the guitar. I'll write some lyrics or play the drums for a while.
If I'm writing lyrics I usually take a break for a few days, sometimes one of my friends will say something that inspires a few more lines.
With music I just hum. Sometimes that'll give me a rough idea for a riff.
---------------------------
Here have a waffle!
(>^_^)>#