hey guys what are some good scales to use? i want to write a song that doesnt sound happy. when i have written songs in the past they have sounded to chearful i want to write a song that has a sort of isolated feeling to it, a sort of sad song. its going to be on acoustic. what would be a goos scale to use.
Minor scale.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by supersac
natural minur,harmonic minor,melodix minor,dorian mode,pentatonic minor

these are the minor scales i feel like typing

Minur? Is that some new scale that I don't know yet?
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
i'mm be straight with you, a particular scale will not give you a particular scale. You can take a minor scale and make it the happiest thing in the world, or you can take the major scale and make it dissonant as you'd like. It all depends on your phrasing, the way you voice the melodies, the rhythm and such. All of this comes together to give you a sound. Experiment, practice, it'll take some time.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by AeolianWolf
major doesn't necessarily mean happy. let me give you an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndSw-HBoFIs&feature=mh_lolz&list=FL8Gseszz07Ow

^That sounds pretty happy to me

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Zinnie
i'mm be straight with you, a particular scale will not give you a particular scale.

Quote by jthm_guitarist
^That sounds pretty happy to me

listen to the oboe and the clarinet against the violin ostinato.

anyone else think this is happy?

EDIT: not that i'm saying "lol its not happy gtfo noob", because music is absolutely subjective. but i hear it as being sorrowful, particularly due to the orchestration and the phrasing.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jul 31, 2011,
Quote by AeolianWolf

this is what happens when I try replying after a 13 hour work day, I'm Sorry. What I meant to say is a particular scale wont give you a particular sound.
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Use the icelandic minor #7 b39 alt scale

But in all seriousness i think context is the most important thing.
If its just you, your guitar and your voice i'd say experiment with chords until you have the sort of sound you're looking for. You already have an idea of what you want. After you have the chords find what sort of melody would sound good over it. Idk.
Quote by AeolianWolf

I think I find more happy in it than sad. The ending makes it a little sad though.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
I hear that as kinda reflective and hopeful
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
chromatic rocks the shit out of the stupid question. figure it out yourself!
hands down.
In my opinion, one of the stupidest assumptions you can make in music is that Major keys are happy and Minor keys are sad. Even if the scale were to put off certain feelings, whatever happened to using accidentals?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Scale has nothing to do with mood. If a song tends to ascend, its happy/ powerful. Whereas if it descends I will be sad/ angry.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by AeolianWolf

listen to the oboe and the clarinet against the violin ostinato.

EDIT: not that i'm saying "lol its not happy gtfo noob", because music is absolutely subjective. but i hear it as being sorrowful, particularly due to the orchestration and the phrasing.

I think it sounds positive, but not happy. The orchestration does make it sound a bit "lonely" or "isolated" though- but the "majorness" of it gives it a positive vibe.

"Majorness" is a word...now...

Scale has nothing to do with mood. If a song tends to ascend, its happy/ powerful. Whereas if it descends I will be sad/ angry.

This is also true to some extent.

For example, this riff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77f8u7puTFc
Quote by chainsawguitar
I think it sounds positive, but not happy. The orchestration does make it sound a bit "lonely" or "isolated" though- but the "majorness" of it gives it a positive vibe.

"Majorness" is a word...now...

This is also true to some extent.

For example, this riff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77f8u7puTFc

Direction of the song defines its mood, no matter how 'sad' you're progression is, if it's going up it will be positive, nostalgic maybe, but still positive. If you have I-ii-iii-V ascending it will sound positive, no matter that half the chords are minor. If you have that same progression descending, it will sound negative. Try it if you don't believe me.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.