Poll: Which amp is better for my style? (Read below first!)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp is better for my style? (Read below first!)
Fender Blues Junior NOS Tweed
12 60%
Vox AC15C1
8 40%
Voters: 20.
I play mostly blues, but I do play some pop and rock, but the tone usually stays the same. I have an OD pedal and a Muff, so I'm not worried about the amps OD, if I was, I'd go for the Vox.

They have the same size speaker, same tubes, and same wattage. Here are the differences (other than the circut)

Blues Jr. - 15W into an 8ohm Jenson C12

AC15 - 15W into a 16ohm Celestion Greenback

These are the main artists I play

Jimi Hendrix
Eric Johnson
U2
Jeff Beck
The Black Keys
I'm gonna go with the Blues Junior. AC15's are nothing like AC30's, which is what most of the artists on your list who use Voxes use.

For that matter, neither is the BJ, but it's a damn good amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Like Oneblackened said, the AC15 might not fit your needs so well--it's more Rolling Stones than U2. However, unless you use a lot of reverb, I'd suggest that you check out the Pro Jr. I think it sounds clearer, stronger and more dynamic than the Blues Jr.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Jul 31, 2011,
Quote by oneblackened
I'm gonna go with the Blues Junior. AC15's are nothing like AC30's, which is what most of the artists on your list who use Voxes use.

For that matter, neither is the BJ, but it's a damn good amp.

True, if they use fenders then they are going to be big. Hendrix used old marshalls, which I dont like marshalls (For the price I'm aiming for), johnson uses marshalls and a twin reverb i think, the black keys use small amps, the edge uses ac30s and I'm not sure what beck uses. But yeah, I think I'm going to get the blues junior. I think its pretty too.
Quote by Dmaj7
the black keys use small amps

When i saw them, Dan had a Marshall 1959. When they played Abbey Road, he had a Hiwatt Custom 100 and a Marshall JTM45/100. He apparently is not afraid of Old Man Tinnitus.
I'm sure they don't record with those, of course.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
When i saw them, Dan had a Marshall 1959. When they played Abbey Road, he had a Hiwatt Custom 100 and a Marshall JTM45/100. He apparently is not afraid of Old Man Tinnitus.
I'm sure they don't record with those, of course.

Oh yeah, I just thought of that. When they play live they use stacks.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
Like Oneblackened said, the AC15 might not fit your needs so well--it's more Rolling Stones than U2. However, unless you use a lot of reverb, I'd suggest that you check out the Pro Jr. I think it sounds clearer, stronger and more dynamic than the Blues Jr.

The Pro Junior is a bit small?

EDIT: Even though those above bans are my influences, the tone I play with is more of a Jeff Beck and then when I play rock its mostly U2ish.

I do like some muff though.
Last edited by Dmaj7 at Jul 31, 2011,
15 watts through a 10" speaker is kind of small, yeah, but the ones I've tried were loud enough to keep up with drums. Had a bit more clean volume than any Blues Jr. I've played through, for some reason. I think it has something to do with bypassing the TMB tone stack?

Quote by AeolianSeventh
15 watts through a 10" speaker is kind of small, yeah, but the ones I've tried were loud enough to keep up with drums. Had a bit more clean volume than any Blues Jr. I've played through, for some reason. I think it has something to do with bypassing the TMB tone stack?

Eh. I like the blues jrs controls. I'll probably get that
Quote by Dmaj7
Eh. I like the blues jrs controls. I'll probably get that

Cool. I'm not very picky about EQ, but if you are, that tone knob's a deal breaker.

I just need Bass and Treble. I dont like having only the one.

The tweed blues jr is just too sexy to pass up.

It should be perfect size.
Blues Jr for sure
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I voted Vox, but did so without even reading the OP.
But most people here know I'm a big Vox fanboi.
Hell, I've suggested it when people were leaning towards 6505 territory.

In your case, Blues Jr. But save up for an AC30. With Blue or Golds.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 31, 2011,
Quote by CodeMonk
I voted Vox, but did so without even reading the OP.
But most people here know I'm a big Vox fanboi.

In your case, Blues Jr. But save up for an AC30. With Blue or Golds.

I was but I dont wanna carry it around. Changed my mind and want something small. I can always mic it.
Quote by CodeMonk

I prefer the nt50h much more than a 6505 head...

On topic: ac30 might be your best bet

And since they are 10' speakers, maybe get a head ( make a head ) and with a 12' speaker

When i played a ac30 through a 410 cabinet it didnt sound well imo, but through a 412 it sounded awsome ( and i dont even play really clean stuff, but i think its one of the best cleans evah )
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
I'm going to say neither. Get yourself a nice 18W Marshall clone and run it through a 12" greenback.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Tunder250
I prefer the nt50h much more than a 6505 head...

On topic: ac30 might be your best bet

And since they are 10' speakers, maybe get a head ( make a head ) and with a 12' speaker

When i played a ac30 through a 410 cabinet it didnt sound well imo, but through a 412 it sounded awsome ( and i dont even play really clean stuff, but i think its one of the best cleans evah )

10"? They are all twelves? If you read above you'd see why I'm not getting an AC30. They are too big. I don't want to be carrying that to a friends just to jam.

the Ac30, Ac15 and Blues jr, all have 12"s, I don't see why youd waste your time playing an ac30 through 4x12"s when its already loud? But more power to you.
Quote by Cathbard
I'm going to say neither. Get yourself a nice 18W Marshall clone and run it through a 12" greenback.

VHT Classic 18, even comes with a greenback.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Hey man,

I was going to ask if you gig and then I picked up the answer to that for one of your other posts.

Are you willing to go used?

I like Cathbard's idea.

Of the two you listed I'd go for the Blues Jr and swap out the speaker.

Also look at some of the Egnaters if you can afford them as well as the Bugera V22.

18 watts are great sounding. Been listening to a bunch of clips because I'm getting one built. Out of the BJ and AC15 I say BJ but an 18 would probably be better than both
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
It seems like everyone voting for the jr is actually saying stuff and all but 1 or 2 voted ac15 and didn't say anything?

Well okay, what are some of these 18W Clones I can look at?
Quote by Dmaj7
It seems like everyone voting for the jr is actually saying stuff and all but 1 or 2 voted ac15 and didn't say anything?

Well okay, what are some of these 18W Clones I can look at?

as for the voting: i didn't really vote yet, lol

and Cathbard makes the best one himself...

PM him and ask his price...
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Well I don't buy amps unless I have the opportunity to try them myself with my guitar and my pedals.
Quote by Dmaj7
Well I don't buy amps unless I have the opportunity to try them myself with my guitar and my pedals.

I understand

hmm,

then i dunno

Im not really into marshalls, sorry
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30