Page 1 of 3
Pretty straightforward question. I'd like to broaden my musical horizons and just would like to know how you do it.

Thanks in advance
I check off every genre on stumbleupon and have at it.

(I don't actually, but that could work, I guess?)
Think of current favourite band -> Wikipedia said band -> Look at their influences, bands they have influenced, or if said band is a pioneer in a genre, other pioneering bands in that genre -> Wikipedia found band -> If the words seem satisfactory, Youtube them
If I hear someone saying something good about a band or an album I haven't heard, I'll go pick up one of their albums and give them a listen. Me and my sister also give each other cd's all the time for gifts. Usually something the other hasn't heard of yet. Gets us both into new bands.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by due 07
Blogs.

Like the one in my sig.

yeaya high five on Joyce Manor
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Related videos on youtube, suggestions from friends, and occasionally posts on UG.
Check out my band Disturbed
Friends, blogs, and record labels of bands that I like.

I've found a lot of cool bands by looking at other bands on record labels of bands I like.
Quote by due 07
Blogs.

Like the one in my sig.

And how do you go about finding blogs that post a lot of bands you enjoy?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I'll type "BAND I LIKE blogspot" into Google, and it takes me to blogs that posted that band--these blogs usually also post other ballin' bands.

Quote by GoodCharloteSux
See guys? A testimonial!
Quote by triface
Think of current favourite band -> Wikipedia said band -> Look at their influences, bands they have influenced, or if said band is a pioneer in a genre, other pioneering bands in that genre -> Wikipedia found band -> If the words seem satisfactory, Youtube them

same here basically

other than that friends and radio usually
World of mouth mostly. Sometimes iTunes suggestions that branch out pretty far.
Keep it heavy or keep it clean
Mostly the cunts in the metal forum.

I tend to stumble upon some good stuff on my own on youtube from time to time though.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

by finding blogs that list blogs that list bands he might enjoy. you know where this is going.

also, your sig. i told you so.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I usually just stumble upon them while listening to Sirius radio or reading recommendations on Wikipedia or something.

-1000 indie cred

Quote by due 07
Blogs.

Like the one in my sig.

I saw Wiz Khalifa and left.

Can't take that shit.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by GoodCharloteSux

I saw Joyce Manor live in Philadelphia. They were playing with Snowing and Algernon Cadwallader. It was awesome.
Quote by theogonia777
by finding blogs that list blogs that list bands he might enjoy. you know where this is going.

also, your sig. i told you so.

It didn't get too big, I just got tired of it And I want it to focus more on my band anyway now that we have something up.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by daytripper75
I saw Joyce Manor live in Philadelphia. They were playing with Snowing and Algernon Cadwallader. It was awesome.

Ah crap, that show sounds awesome, Algernon's vocals slightly irritate me, but awesome show nonetheless, what venue?
Pitchfork.com
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by daytripper75
That sounds incredible.

Quote by bradulator
I saw Wiz Khalifa and left.

Can't take that shit.
It's a communal thing, I didn't post that. That is the first hip hop album that's been posted, except for Wugazi.
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Ah crap, that show sounds awesome, Algernon's vocals slightly irritate me, but awesome show nonetheless, what venue?

The Fire. It's on Gerard Ave. in Philly if you're familiar with that area. It's not too far from the Electric Factory.
Similar Artists tab on Last.fm for bands I like, skip the first 2 or 3 pages, there you go.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
Similar Artists tab on Last.fm for bands I like, skip the first 2 or 3 pages, there you go.
Why skip the first two or three pages?
Quote by daytripper75
The Fire. It's on Gerard Ave. in Philly if you're familiar with that area. It's not too far from the Electric Factory.

For the most part I'm down in that area to go to the Electric Factory, so in general yea but I got to find some smaller venues, because a lot of the bands I'm getting into just don't play a lot of those bigger venues unless opening up for some band I don't want to see. Any other small venues you suggest in that area?
Quote by due 07
Why skip the first two or three pages?

Cause the first few have mainstream artists while the other ones have obscure bands nobody has ever heard of. Duuuuuuuh
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
Cause the first few have mainstream artists while the other ones have obscure bands nobody has ever heard of. Duuuuuuuh
Oh yes, good point.
Quote by due 07
Oh yes, good point.

Mainstream is so out, the new thing is to listen to sidestreams for years, have an musical epiphany and buy a LMFAO tshirt and tell your sidestream friends you wear it ironically, but you don't.
I like lists of good albums (or best albums of a year or whatever) by people with good music taste. That way you usually discover bands who are very very good at whatever thing they do, rather than 100 bands of varying quality that are just similar in style to something you already like.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 31, 2011,
I listen to said band's song, then I think "Wow that's awesome," then I listen to the band for about 3-4 months, then I overlisten to them and get into a band similar for another 3-4 months, or until I hear a song by another band that sounds awesome.

How I got from Metallica to Megadeth, then Dream Theater, then Children of Bodom, then Disturbed, then back to Dream theater (In that order) I have NO idea.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Last edited by S0n1c '97 at Jul 31, 2011,
Typically through weird ass sources. And when im at shows, if someones jacket or vest has cool logos on it, i might look em up
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
1. Type in Top 10 + genre of choice bands on Youtube
2. Investigate into bands I'm intrigued by
3. Decide if really want to have on mp3 player
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Page 1 of 3