Ok so i have a BC Rich Mockingbird ST, and i always keep it in drop d tuning, but today i wanted to try tuning it to drop c. when i almost had it tuned i strummed it to check that it sounded right, and i got this horribly fuzzy muted sound. when i looked closely at the strings they all moved way down to the point where they were touching the fretboard all the way down the neck. i freaked out and tuned it back up, and now its fine. Does anybody know why that happened and whether or not its a serious problem?
What gauge strings are you using?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
I actually dont know, i got it used from ebay. it came in pretty good condition, but i had a feeling i might need some different strings. i dont know how to change strings with the floyd rose system though
Block the bridge using some double A batteries. The easier way is to change one string at a time, which keeps tension on the bridge. If you're changing gauges you might have to fiddle around with the springs a bit. If you don't feel comfortable doing that kind of stuff, take it to a luthier and have a setup done on it. Ask him how to properly change the strings too
So do you think i need heavier strings or lighter strings to fix the original problem?
stick some double a batteries under the bridge to keep it about parallel with the body. then string it up. if the problem still happens, your bridge might have to be set up properly, and in all honesty i'm not sure the correct way to do that.

EDIT: string gauge shouldn't matter unless you're going from like 9's to 12's or something that drastic.
Its to do with your floyd rose...downtuning with a floyd requires setting it up each tine you change tuning. Because it "floats", the lack of tension from the strings causes the floyd to go out of balance, and all that jazz...read up on the floyd system.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Wow. I must be really tired. Yeah what mikey said. if you're restringing, do what i said. You could invest in a D-tuner made for those bridges. However, you'll have to block it, limiting you to only push down on your whammy bar. Yea downtuning or uptuning on floyd roses is a no-no.
You must learn to master the Zen of the Floyd Rose Tremolo. More knowledge is required.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
thanks everybody, i think im gonna take it to guitar center, have one of the professionals do it because i think i might mess something up, and my mockingbird is kinda precious to me
I recommend taking it to a real luthier...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by jakeiscool
thanks everybody, i think im gonna take it to guitar center, have one of the professionals do it because i think i might mess something up, and my mockingbird is kinda precious to me

Then why not learn how to maintain your guitar yourself, instead of leaving it the the hands of a possibly incompetent employee?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the springs in the back......loosen or tighten them. the baseplate has to be level for every change in tuning there has to be a change in the spring tension. simple.