I have a Squier John 5 signature telecaster. As weird as it sounds, it's become my #1 guitar for both recording and playing live. I love how the neck plays, and the pickups are exactly what I want. I want to upgrade this guitar because I currently play it to death, and plan on doing so. I've thought about locking tuners, but I don't really have issues with it staying in tune. I've thought about those graptech saddles, but I don't have issues with strings breaking. I've even considered a bigsby, but I've heard it can alter the sound and sustain.

So, is there anything you guys can think of to mod/change to improve it? Is it worth the new tuners and saddles?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
If you don't have a problem with it, don't fix it. Just polish it from time to time and change your strings out every 3 months.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

A bigsby would increase sustain so i don't see why that would be a worry. it would change your tone, i've heard they make guitars sound darker. if you did get one you might consider locking tuners as a bigsby would be bad for tuning stability

you could consider something like a killswitch or on-board boost system
Last edited by teh_goon at Jul 31, 2011,
Why do you want to change it if you like it?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well things like graphtec saddles can only help it. Why not?

Locking tuners also make string changes easier, especially the planet waves one with a trimmer built in.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I guess a part of me can't believe that a Squier guitar doesn't seem some component upgraded or swapped to be 100%. I guess it's not a bad thing to be wrong about, heh.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by TS
How do you upgrade a really good guitar?

Don't.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
If you put better pots in it it may sound even better. but if you like it, don't mess with it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, it can't hurt to change the nut, the pots, and the tuners, since I'm sure they are all of a pretty cheap nature, but if you aren't having problems and you like it, why change anything?
You should relic it.
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
If you the urge to start modding guitars don't go screwing up your good ones. Buy junkers on Craigslist and fix them up instead.
If you like how it plays and sounds then don't change anything. Locking tuners may save you a minute or two when restringing and a compensated nut can help intonation but neither are vital. Everything else you might change like the bridge, saddles, pots, capacitors, all that can change the tone. So if you like how it sounds right now then you don't want to change any of those. It might be worth changing the pickup selector switch though, the one in the guitar is cheap and you might find it wears out after a few years. A high quality switch will last longer. If you don't have them already then put Schaller strap locks on instead of the strap buttons. That's it. Those four things are the only things you can upgrade that will improve the guitar in some way and won't effect how it sounds or plays: tuners, compensated nut, seletcor switch, strap locks.
changing the nut to a graphtech one won't hurt anything, and could only offer improvements. same thing with the saddles.

they not only reduce string breakage, but enhance the sound. it brings out more harmonics, and also reduces some muddiness.
You could always upgrade the electronics by throwing in some CTS pots and a Sprague/Tiger/OD cap. The CTS pots will make the tone control really come alive and the volume pot will actually roll off instead of dumping half the signal from 7-6. You can change the capacitor value to make it more appropriate for your style, or upgrade the brand and keep the value the same. Some people claim upgrading the cap improves the tone, but I can't hear a difference.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
WHat they really mean is:
upgrade wiring, then RELIC IT!
You'll love it so much more!
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Problem if you upgrade the pots and caps is it'll change the tone. It's not just a case of getting a smoother taper or different feel to the pot. You'll never find pots that match the existing values perfectly and so you'll be changing the resistence, you'll be changing the tone. If you like how the tone is right now then you don't want to do that. Graphtech saddles will also change the tone so unless you're having strings break a lot then there's no point changing those either.
If its works and isn't broken, DON'T FIX IT!

Think about it... You change it, then you don't like the change, and try to change it back. And YOUR tone is gone. Then what? Leave it be and enjoy what you have.

Buy another squire and mod it up.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77