Ok so I always come up with the strangest chords and I never know what they are, I even try looking them up on Chord Finder and other dictionaries.

Here is a list of chords I have created that were never in a chord dictionary and are un-named:

(NOTE: I am not telling you to play these chords in order or even play them all together as a song or anything, these are just chords I have used in some of my songs that are completely un-named so far.)

e|5
B|4
G|5
D|5
A|x
E|x

e|7
B|0
G|7 (Touch-Harmonic)
D|0
A|x
E|x

e|4
B|6
G|4
D|6
A|4
E|4

e|3
B|4
G|1
D|3
A|1
E|4

e|7
B|8
G|9
D|10
A|x
E|8

I do have long skeleton fingers and I do actually use these chords quickly in timing with other chords.
There is no such thing as an un-named chord
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
How long have you been playing? Do you know basic music theory? You cant just play random notes at same time and call it a chord. Those are probably not actual chords. Or well, the last one is Cmaj7, but the others are just random.
Quote by guitar/bass95
How long have you been playing? Do you know basic music theory? You cant just play random notes at same time and call it a chord. Those are probably not actual chords. Or well, the last one is Cmaj7, but the others are just random.

Actually you can, a chord is simply a combination of notes played together, either simultaneously or arpeggiated. Every combination of notes has a name, as seagull says, theres no un-named chord since the name of the chord depends on the notes within it.
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
Cm6

Not really a chord (it's a dyad), it's just notes D and B which could imply either Bm(no5) or D6(no3no5)

Db7

Really? How many fingers do you have? It's a weird chord so it depends largely on context, maybe G#maj13(no11), D#11(no7), Fm11(no5)

Cmaj7

I suggest learning to construct chords out of notes and scales. Often chord finders will give you weird answers. Check out the theory sections: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by risk182
You can't just create chords.

TS, you could spell out the notes, and name your chords as follows:

1. G C Eb A - Am7b5/G

2. D B - Bm/D [(no5) implied harmony]

3. G# C# B E# - C#7/G#

4. Ab Bb F Eb G - Bbsus4add13/Ab

5. C E G B - Cmaj7

A single chord can be named in a myriad of ways, though it's decisive name the context of piece of music will depend on its harmonic function.

EDIT: I would absolutely advise against using ''chord finder'' sites such as the one below; the program pays no attention to function, and the names are an impractical eye-sore to say the least.
As has been recommended above, it might be worth looking at some of the beginner theory articles on this site, or heading over to musictheory.net and working through the lessons in chronological order. As is always recommended with this site, it's best to start from the top, and only move on once you completely understand the given material.
Last edited by juckfush at Jul 31, 2011,
First one is G Suspended 2nd Suspended 4th Sharp 5th

Second is a B/D Minor

Third is G# Minor 6th Double Flat 5th

Fourth is G# 6th Suspended 2nd Add 12th Add 14th

Last is C Major 7th

May I ask how do you finger these?

I used this site to get the names because I was too lazy to figure them out http://jguitar.com/chordname
Last edited by felakutihimself at Jul 31, 2011,
Quote by Flibo
Cm6

Not really a chord (it's a dyad), it's just notes D and B which could imply either Bm(no5) or D6(no3no5)

Db7

Really? How many fingers do you have? It's a weird chord so it depends largely on context, maybe G#maj13(no11), D#11(no7), Fm11(no5)

Cmaj7

I suggest learning to construct chords out of notes and scales. Often chord finders will give you weird answers. Check out the theory sections: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html

Most helpful comment so far of all. Thank you. Nice article too. Quite Helpful, I'd consider myself an Intermediate but there is some things I just have problems with.

By the way, I'm not just making random chords up, I'm trying to match a sound to my voice without actually using the standard chords like everyone else. I'm a single person band with a guitar, a bass, a mic and a piano. I'm just trying to paint my existence on the wall of art. :}

My genre is quite odd; It consists of a sort of Alternative Blues, Chiptune and some very metaphorical emo lyrics about scenary and love. :}

Not your casual teenage drama and crappy music. I actually despise Hip hop, Rap, Screamo, Metal and Folk. Every now and then I wake up, pick up my guitar and play some Jack White. ;}
Quote by felakutihimself
First one is G Suspended 2nd Suspended 4th Sharp 5th

Second is a B/D Minor

Third is G# Minor 6th Double Flat 5th

Fourth is G# 6th Suspended 2nd Add 12th Add 14th

Last is C Major 7th

May I ask how do you finger these?

I used this site to get the names because I was too lazy to figure them out http://jguitar.com/chordname

For the first chords my fingers are:

e|pinky
B|index
G|ring
D|middle

2nd chord:

e|index
B|
G|(middle)
D|

3rd chord index finger bar'd:

e|index
B|ring
G|index
D|middle
A|index
E|index

4th chord is capo on 1st fret:

e|index
B|pinky
G|
D|middle
A|
E|ring

5th chord:

e|index
B|middle
G|ring
D|pinky
A|the very tip 'fat' of my thumb is muting this string.
E|Thumb

By the way, the guitar I am using in case that matters; Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst. I'm planning on getting my 2nd guitar. My 2nd guitar shall be a white The Gretsch "Billy-Bo" Jupiter Thunderbird. I've always fancied that beautiful guitar. ZZ top used it, Never disrespect that man.
The first I would call an Adim7. The second your doubling octaves on a diad of D and B. It's a B minor third or a D Major 6th. The next one I would call a C#m#11. Next... a D#maj11? And then the last is a simple Cmaj7.

These all depend on what you consider the root note to be.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.