Poll: ?
Poll Options
View poll results: ?
My life has meaning.
107 42%
My life doesn't have meaning.
98 38%
I don't know the meaning of the word life.
50 20%
Voters: 255.
Page 1 of 4
Things are actually shaping up pretty nicely, and I'm only 18. Real talk nigga.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Is there an objective definition of 'meaning'?
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Inb4 "confused" 14 year olds.

Yes. Everyone's does. If they claim it hasn't, then they haven't found their niche yet, despite how hard they claim they've tried.
My life meaning is to help save the environment....somehow. Even just a little bit.

Well that and play a little bit of ice hockey!
Nobody's life has meaning.

it's totally subjective though. Your life has whatever meaning you give it. I'm a cynic, so I don't think anybody's life has meaning, and I'm perfectly happy with that.
Not yet, but I'm getting close. Also, every life has meaning, you just don't know what it is.
Quote by intothe
I'm meant to wrestle exotic animals on the southern hemisphere.

Weren't you the guy in that one thread that wanted to wrestle polar bears in the south pole?
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Nobody's life has meaning.

it's totally subjective though. Your life has whatever meaning you give it. I'm a cynic, so I don't think anybody's life has meaning, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Sounds like you're more of an existentialist.

My life has many meanings.

life
   [lahyf] Show IPA noun, plural lives  [lahyvz] Show IPA, adjective
–noun
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.
the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.
Quote by The_Casinator
Not yet, but I'm getting close. Also, every life has meaning, you just don't know what it is.

can you elaborate? are you talking about fatalism?

Quote by spitonastranger

My life has many meanings.

life
   [lahyf] Show IPA noun, plural lives  [lahyvz] Show IPA, adjective
–noun
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.
the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual: to risk one's life; a short life and a merry one.

i've heard that said a million times, i still find it fucking stupid.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Jul 31, 2011,
I found out that my testicles are ticklish.
So yes.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
I live each day hoping I don't die in my sleep. It doesn't have any meaning.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Gorelord666
Weren't you the guy in that one thread that wanted to wrestle polar bears in the south pole?

Polar bears on the north pole is a lie.
Quote by spitonastranger

The early 19th century philosopher Søren Kierkegaard is regarded as the father of existentialism.[5][6] He maintained that the individual is solely responsible for giving his or her own life meaning and for living that life passionately and sincerely,[7][8] in spite of many existential obstacles and distractions including despair, angst, absurdity, alienation, and boredom.[9]

Well, going from that one line and the few above it, I'd say you're probably right.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Jul 31, 2011,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I'm training to be a teacher so I suppose it does really. Everyone remembers their good teachers.

I do. My 5th grade teacher. I was gonna go see him 3 years ago but turns out he retired the year before that...

OT: I actually don't know what I want to do. It'll come in time probably..

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
I have never really understood what people mean with the meaning of life. Maybe it's just so obvious to me that there's no meaning to anything.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by laid-to-waste

i've heard that said a million times, i still find it fucking stupid.

The thread is fucking stupid. You ask stupidly vague questions you get sardonic answers.

Besides if i didn't do it someone else would have.
Quote by spitonastranger
The thread is fucking stupid. You ask stupidly vague questions you get sardonic answers.

i'm not judging you for saying it personally, i just find your literary approach to it off-key with what TS was trying to ask.

that's just me though. if you weren't trying to be literary and you believe that life doesn't really have meaning past the raw definition, then i take what i said back.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Well, going from that one line and the few above it, I'd say you're probably right.

Although...

Quote by Wikipedia on Absurdism
The notion of the Absurd contains the idea that there is no meaning to be found in the world beyond what meaning we give to it.

I definitely agree with the main point of absurdism. It goes on and I agree with quite a few more points, but I'm not 100% in agreement. A combination of existentialism/absurdism perhaps.

I often have existential crises while alone, thinking.
Quote by laid-to-waste

Not so much fatalism, but there is some truth in the fact that something as little as smiling at a random person can change their mindset for that moment, and maybe even influence bigger actions. But what I really meant is that people have no idea how much their presence can influence other people.
Quote by Gorelord666
I do. My 5th grade teacher. I was gonna go see him 3 years ago but turns out he retired the year before that...

OT: I actually don't know what I want to do. It'll come in time probably..

What is 5th grade? I will be teaching age 11-adult so not really very young children or anything.
Quote by The_Casinator
Not so much fatalism, but there is some truth in the fact that something as little as smiling at a random person can change their mindset for that moment, and maybe even influence bigger actions. But what I really meant is that people have no idea how much their presence can influence other people.

i agree. there is quite a lot of comfort to fatalism, though. i really wish i could believe in it without being arbitrary.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
What is 5th grade? I will be teaching age 11-adult so not really very young children or anything.

Oh yeah. I forgot that the US way is different from the UK. I think it's Year 5 or Year 6 for you guys.

Quote by due 07

I make music sometimes.
Quote by laid-to-waste
i agree. there is quite a lot of comfort to fatalism, though. i really wish i could believe in it without being arbitrary.

I kinda like the way of thinking, because it's still based on free choice. None of that "Why bother, I can't change anything anyway" shit.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Yeah, I'm like Charlie Sheen Jr.
For all you know, you might be. He's been a lot of places, if you know what I mean.
Quote by spitonastranger

Also known as "starting a conversation". You should try it some time
Page 1 of 4