Much easier said than done it seems. I'm looking for an overdrive or distortion pedal to use with my Epiphone Les Paul. Really it just needs to suit a range of rock overdrive such as the guitar sound of The Darkness, through to the more intense stuff like Lost Prophets and maybe even some more crunchy tones found in Indie music like the Fratellis (not a priority though). Basically I want decent overdrive that's not all tacky and cheap sounding (I still like cheap if poss though ) .

I've had a few over the years but I've never found one that hit that sweet spot.
Apparently BOSS overdrive pedals are very good, but can be expensive. At the moment forget budget being an issue, I can always try and hunt down a second hand or display model if need be.

As for matching it with an amp I probably won't be having a decent amp of my own next year so something that will just work in a live setting would be good.

Any ideas?
Now I'm walking the empty solemn streets
Casting down the shadows of my defeat
You look at me as if I'm throwing my life away
Well I'll tell you now, I'm not a fucking hyperbole.

Honey
Im using BOSS DS-1 Distortion Pedal, It's good. Or try DS-2, turbo distortion.
Vox Ice 9 OD
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde, should cover all your bases regardless of the amp you're using.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
sorry dude but "i want amazing diverse tone" with no budget or even an amp in mind just isn't going to happen. i could suggest a $300 boutique pedalthat would sound amazing with a boutique amp but that isn't going to work if that isn't what you have to work with.

dude thee is no such thing as instant tone in a pedal, that's the wrong approach to take.
ibanez tube screamer, either the 808 or ts9, if your going with the 808 i would get the maxon though,

if you want a good, reasonably priced distortion pedal then i would go with the ehx metal muff, ive just sold mine because i dont need a distortion pedal but its the best one i had tried and is very diverse ( not just metal)
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Fulltone OCD, the tubescreamers can only get high gain when paired with other pedals or amp distortion.
Ok thanks for the suggestions everyone. I know there's no magic pedal that'll work on every amp, I'm just looking for a generally decent pedal.
Anyway I'll take a look around.
Now I'm walking the empty solemn streets
Casting down the shadows of my defeat
You look at me as if I'm throwing my life away
Well I'll tell you now, I'm not a fucking hyperbole.

Honey
maybe the cool cat overdrive? very cheap but apparently very good